Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Wheezing into 2013 - Support thread for parents of asthmatics

(969 Posts)
Sirzy Wed 26-Dec-12 14:19:15

As the old thread is filling up I thought I would get a new one started!

This thread is for anyone with a child with asthma, or asthma type symptoms. Between us we have to much experience of inhalers, nebulisers, steroids, sats and all things asthma!

Sirzy Sat 27-Dec-14 15:21:04

Sounds like typical asthma you are describing. I would push for a steroid inhaler (like you said beclemathazone is the normal starting point) and then if that doesn't work (or the GP says no) then insist on a refferal to a peditrician.

TortoiseInAShell Sat 27-Dec-14 15:09:40

Hi parents of asthmatic children - I apologise for not reading the tread but I saw you've reached the 900+ mark and it will take me forever! I don't know if I qualify to put in an appearance as my barely 18 month old hasn't been diagnosed asthmatic, but since his first winter he has suffered repeated bouts of chesty coughs and wheeze. I think at times we've also had nocturnal stridors, but each time I take him to the GP (which is a LOT!) we are sent away with different antibiotics and prednisolone.
I'm always grateful to at least get that because it dampens down the cough and reduces the wheeze, but this winter it is much worse and simply won't clear up completely.

I've had it suggested to me that I don't take no for an answer and worse than that, if he is not treated correctly, he could have lasting lung damage. I feel awful for finding this out because I have worked so hard to constantly pester the GP for continuous steroids and antibiotics, and I had no idea I could be seriously letting him down by accepting this from the GP. hmm

So I came to the child health thread to talk to the real experts on the ground. I want to be armed with information on Monday and so I can fight my case well.

I wonder if anyone can tell me:

He often vomits when he coughs, is that specifically whooping cough or can it happen with asthma?

He is on atrovent and ventolin which I give 3 times a day. I was told give one puff but to be honest I give two because he struggles with the aerochamber and we only get about 3 or 4 breaths each time.

I wondered when they might prescribe beclomethasone inhaler and not atrovent, I know there was talk of salbutamol being unsuitable for infants as it isn't proven to work, but they gave it anyway, yet haven't given steroids except orally.

Is there anything else he should have?

Do your DC rattle much worse after eating and drinking? And do they keep getting runny noses every 3-4 weeks as though an infection keeps popping back up regularly and just isn't being controlled?

Sorry for all the questions, please be kind! I know I have probably foolishly accepted what the medics told me and so trusted their direction, when you all probably would have fought from day one. FWIW I thought I was fighting but constantly going back to them for more prescriptions. I want to go in with as much knowledge as I can next week. Thanks in advance.

Sirzy Sat 27-Dec-14 07:45:00

How is she peppals?

DS is currently on his second lot of antibiotics/steroids for a tough to clear infection but it seems to be working.

PeppaIsACowbag Thu 25-Dec-14 14:47:15

Hi hope you are all having a great Christmas. DD is struggling today keeping it under control with ventolin at the minute but fearing a hospital trip later sad

WellThatsLife Wed 17-Dec-14 14:51:56

Peppa dd1 has a complete personality change when on steroids-hyper, very bad tempered, can't sleep and eats us outof house and home. Combine all that with hormones ( she'll be 13 in march) and it's great fun!

PeppaIsACowbag Mon 15-Dec-14 22:31:41

Does anyone elses dc get a little hyperactive on pred? First time dd has had it and we've had some interesting tantrums so far, think im in for a long night!

Sirzy Mon 15-Dec-14 19:44:09

Owch but fingers crossed if helps

WellThatsLife Mon 15-Dec-14 18:57:01

Thankfully seemed to be a one off. She had an appointment with hospital dentist today due to ongoing problems with her front teeth from an accident when she was 8, it seems she has ab infection in the bone behind one of the teeth which has probably been grumbling for ages so not sure how much of her recent ill health has been in part due to her body fighting this. She's going to need treatment under a general anaesthetic to try to clear the infected tisdue out.

PeppaIsACowbag Mon 15-Dec-14 16:53:42

Thanks sirzy, hope your ds is better soon too.

Sirzy Mon 15-Dec-14 16:37:02

Hope she is better soon peppas. How's your dd wellthatslife?

PeppaIsACowbag Mon 15-Dec-14 14:51:21

Plus we were on a ferry when she first came down with it, they have doctors/first aid on board and I had all her medication with me but the thought that I couldn't get to an A+ E terrified me! DD really enjoyed the ferry ride but won't be doing it again until her asthma is more controlled.

PeppaIsACowbag Mon 15-Dec-14 14:39:53

Hi all DD is suffering with a viral infection at the minute, horrible cough and wheezing even after 10 x salbutamol. Been prescribed a 5 day course of pred so hoping she feels better in time for Christmas.

WellThatsLife Sun 14-Dec-14 23:26:13

I'm a pharmacist and I notice today that lots of scripts from emergency drs antibiotics and pred. They were almist hotbedding the ward when she was in the other week. Going to give her another dose before I go to bed as her peak flow was low.

Sirzy Sun 14-Dec-14 20:45:09

Oh no well. Hope it's nothing a bit of ventolin won't sort.

A and e was full of asthmatics/wheezy children yesterday, the nurse said she seems to be spending half of each shift waiting for pred to dissolve!

WellThatsLife Sun 14-Dec-14 20:38:27

Ah, spoke to soon she's come in coughing, saying her chest is tight!

WellThatsLife Sun 14-Dec-14 20:34:49

Hope he's doing better now. Dd ok at the moment.

Sirzy Sun 14-Dec-14 19:45:06

How's everyone doing?

We narrowly avoided being admitted last night but chest infection time again so antibiotics and pred again

SurfsUp1 Mon 01-Dec-14 21:28:27

PART 1

Part 2

From memory I think the asthma thing was mainly addressed in the 2nd episode?? I could be wrong.

I just thought the information was a little glossed over (I guess you can only get so technical on TV?) and wondered if anyone had investigated the research further?

SurfsUp1 Mon 01-Dec-14 21:24:42

Yeah! I'll see if I can find a link to the program I saw where it was discussed.
I suppose it sounds a bit "woo" but it was an episode from Australia's top science program which is generally amazingly well researched.
The vinegar/asthma thing was only a portion of the program, but the results that were being discussed were pretty amazing!

lollipoppi Mon 01-Dec-14 15:29:26

Surfs no I've never heard of that, do you mean increasing the amount of vinegar in their diet?

SurfsUp1 Mon 01-Dec-14 07:16:15

Hi Everyone,
I have a DS with asthma - only mild, so I take my hats of to those of you dealing with severe issues.

I was just wondering if anyone here had looked into the research addressing asthma with vinegar (i.e. eating/drinking it) and if so, have you found any child-friendly ways to increase vinegar intake in the diet?

PeppaIsACowbag Mon 01-Dec-14 07:00:08

Hi all, hope everyones dc are ok.

DD has settled right down since she was prescribed the preventer inhaler, 2 puffs of flixotide twice daily. However her night time cough has started up again this past week and last night she had a bad coughing fit where she was gasping for breath and ended up being violently sick sad .

Im waiting til 9 so I can give her asthma nurse a call, her blue inhaler did the trick and she settled back to sleep eventually so hopefully she's just coming down with a cold or something.

Sirzy Sat 29-Nov-14 07:22:17

Yes you can have asthma without a wheeze, DS rarely wheezes

AnotherStitchInTime Fri 28-Nov-14 19:45:16

Hi I was wondering whether you experienced parents of asthma sufferers think this sounds like asthma.

Dd2 is 2.9. Diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnoea after recurrent viruses and tonsillitis. She has only had what seemed more like an asthma attack in the day once when the guinea pig cage was overdue for changing. At that time she didn't wheeze, but was constantly coughing until she had ventolin syrup. She has been admitted twice, the last time to HDU because she cyanosed during her nap. Since then she has had recurrent sleep apnoea with stridor at night often coughing and needing repositioning to allow her to breathe more easily. The GP gave us a blue salbutamol inhaler at our request (family history of allergies, asthma and atopy) and from the first night she took it her breathing has been more even, with less apnoea, less chest retractions and more steady breathing. Last night she had 3 rounds of 2 puffs in 10 breaths and wasn't better so I took her to A&E as she wasn't able to get breaths in even after I changed her position, her chest was retracting really hard, but she couldn't force past the obstruction. They were confused as to why I had the inhaler and said it would only be useful if she had a wheeze. She doesn't, but it helps. Can you have asthma without a wheeze?

Sirzy Fri 28-Nov-14 16:18:27

Fingers crossed she copes with the change

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now