Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Wheezing into 2013 - Support thread for parents of asthmatics

(914 Posts)
Sirzy Wed 26-Dec-12 14:19:15

As the old thread is filling up I thought I would get a new one started!

This thread is for anyone with a child with asthma, or asthma type symptoms. Between us we have to much experience of inhalers, nebulisers, steroids, sats and all things asthma!

PeppaIsACowbag Tue 21-Oct-14 18:26:17

Hi hope everyones dc are ok.

DD had her first appointment with the asthma nurse today she was really nice and helpful, gave me her mobile number incase im ever worried. She's decided to carry on with both pumps and the montelukast, she's changed her brown inhaler to the peach one though as DD is really struggling to take that one.

Had a good listen to her chest and her lungs are all clear thankfully, been a bit worried as she's coughing lots just lately, been sick a few times with it poor thing.

Sirzy Mon 20-Oct-14 17:28:22

Glad the appointment went ok

lollipoppi Mon 20-Oct-14 14:18:09

Oh no Sirzy, glad he is doing ok and good to know the teachers dealt with it perfectly

DS had his appt today with his consultant, all was ok and no changes to meds

Sirzy Mon 20-Oct-14 13:06:20

Had to pick DS up from school today after a big asthma attack. Thankfully they dealt with it perfectly and he is much better now just tired. Going to keep him off tomorrow just to be safe but hopefully it won't develop

Badvoc123 Sat 18-Oct-14 09:51:19

Lolli...that's really shocking!

Sirzy Sat 18-Oct-14 09:07:25

Hope he carrys on improving bad.

Good luck for the consultant Lolli.

DS is plodding on. Still can't reduce ventolin but is pretty stable at least

lollipoppi Sat 18-Oct-14 08:54:12

That's good Badvoc, hope he is over the worst now. I have one of those sats monitors too

DS is much better I think we got the pred in him just in time
I had a word with ore school and they were doing his inhalers wrong (even though I had shown them the technique) they were putting 6 puffs in the inhaler all at once confused

DS has his appt on Monday with his consultant

Badvoc123 Fri 17-Oct-14 17:21:40

Ds seems a bit better but not loads iyswim?
And he finishes his ABs tomorrow.
So I have ordered an O2 sats finger monitor (from amazon - £16) so I can keep check on his sats.
If he is no better next week I will take him back.
Hope everyone's else's little ones are ok x

Badvoc123 Wed 15-Oct-14 20:06:06

That's worrying lollipop sad

lollipoppi Wed 15-Oct-14 17:32:14

Picked DS up from pre school, he was in a state. Coughing non stop, I gave him some inhalers and took him straight to the doctors, he's on pred.
Il be having words with the pre school tomorrow, who assured me they are confident in dealing with asthma and knew how to use inhalers effectively sad

lollipoppi Tue 14-Oct-14 12:49:14

sad Badvoc he's having a real tough time at the moment isn't he, I hope these abs kick in soon for him
You must be exhausted I hope your looking after yourself too?

Had to start DS on inhalers this morning after coughing all night, he is currently asleep which NEVER happens,

Badvoc123 Tue 14-Oct-14 10:34:18

Back to gp again this morning.
Dx Ds with bronchitis and gastroenteritis.
sad
5 says of ABs.
If he is no better by Friday I am taking him back
His sats were 94 and he is crying because his chest hurts so much.

Badvoc123 Tue 14-Oct-14 08:00:23

Soooo Ds now had diahorea!
Good grief...
So it's another 48 hrs off school.
I am going in to see them today.
Sigh.
It's all very well them saying " his chest is clear" but he has been coughing all night again and is obv not well.
Any thoughts/tips?

Hope he gets better soon badvoc always helps to get a second opinion if need be, mothers instinct and all that. Some gps are better than others, I'm starting to realise who the crap ones are at my surgery, think I'll go for locum next time as I find they are very thorough and seek to see what is actually wrong with the child !

Badvoc123 Mon 13-Oct-14 10:32:45

Well...no further on really sad
She said his chest is clear and that it's probably a sinus virus.
No abs.
Can see me going back next week tbh..sigh..

Hope you get some where with the Gp today badvoc.
I agree GPS are pretty useless with asthma, took them many years to get my mum's medication right, so much so she hasn't had a full blown attack for a long time!

I managed to get antibiotics for my dd more than a week ago, finally gp agreed she needed them. But when I asked to discuss asthma in babies, after running half an hour late the arsehole said he would be wasting minutes discussing it with me and to come back for a longer appointment! wouldn't even let me have another blue pump, even though I told him it is nearly ran outangry

Takes me 30 mins to walk there and just as pants as my last surgery, thinking of moving back to previous surgery to save me the walk as they are all as bad as each other...

lollipoppi Mon 13-Oct-14 07:52:43

Good luck at GP today, I'm not sure with the peak flow my DS is too young for one yet

Badvoc123 Sun 12-Oct-14 16:27:53

Can I ask what the normal peak flow should be for an 11 year old?
He is 151 cm tall.

Badvoc123 Sun 12-Oct-14 13:50:32

No idea sad
Going to go to gp tomorrow and ask for abs, further investigations and/or a sick note for school.
Fed up now.

lollipoppi Sun 12-Oct-14 13:34:54

So if it was a sinus infection and he had a raised temp why no antibiotics?? Fecking useless!

I hope you get some more answers tomorrow at your gps

Badvoc123 Sun 12-Oct-14 12:35:51

Said his chest was clear but his sats were 95 and his peak flow rubbish but dr said it was his technique?
Then as we left he said gp on Monday as it may be a sinus infection or he may need a chest x ray!!!

lollipoppi Sun 12-Oct-14 12:07:33

Badvoc sounds like you've had a long night, how's he doing today?
What did the docs say?

Badvoc123 Sun 12-Oct-14 05:19:14

What a waste of fucking time.
I'm going to the gp On Monday and request a chest x ray.
This is getting ridiculous.

Badvoc123 Sun 12-Oct-14 03:15:22

Well, he now has a temp and a headache.
Got an ooh gp appt at 4.30am.
It's only 40 min drive away!
Oh joy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now