Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Wheezing into 2013 - Support thread for parents of asthmatics

(994 Posts)
Sirzy Wed 26-Dec-12 14:19:15

As the old thread is filling up I thought I would get a new one started!

This thread is for anyone with a child with asthma, or asthma type symptoms. Between us we have to much experience of inhalers, nebulisers, steroids, sats and all things asthma!

Badvoc Thu 16-May-13 18:20:24

That's wonderful smile

lollipoppi Thu 16-May-13 21:18:14

Lara that's fantastic news I'm sure your so relieved!!

Badvoc hope the next appointment goes well and he doesn't have an infection!

Sirzy how's your DS after his attack, did he manage to get a good nights sleep?

DS is ok asthma wise at the moment, just weaned him off his blue again. And seems ok tonight. He has had another allergic reaction to something and come out in a terrible itchy rash, but it seems to be clearing up now after piriton and lots of cream!

Sirzy Thu 16-May-13 21:26:45

Gussie - DS has severe asthma but not as bad as your sons thankfully hope you manage to find a solution which helps him though.

Lara - glad the test went well

DS is ok, I have realised that weaning him off his ventolin is what is causing his trouble so I leaving it at 5 puffs 3 times a day for now and will try again in a week or so to see if he is ready for it to be reduced.

Thank you- yes very relieved. Although it does mean back to the drawing board a bit. Allergy testing next!

If its any consolation to anyone and maybe give a bit of light at the end of the tunnel: when I was younger I had severe asthma, and was on all sorts of meds and in and out doctors/a&e. I grew out of it by around age 12 and I am a very healthy adult with no breathing problems/meds. I only get a little bit tight Chested if I am out running and it's freezing

Fingers crossed eh!

lollipoppi Thu 16-May-13 22:03:40

Sirzy I often wonder if if should just keep him on puffs daily, there is no harm in the ventolin so maybe that's the way forward? May give it a go!

DP also had severe asthma as a child and he has also grown out of it now, only gets a bad chest every now and again so there is hope smile

Hello. Just wanted to see how everyone's weekend has been

lollipoppi Sun 19-May-13 22:24:26

Hi Lara
All good over here smile not often I get to say that!!
How's your DS?

That is good news lolli!

Yes he is doing fine, antibiotics really worked thankfully, not had to use inhaler all week.

Now all we all need is a long hot dry summer!!

lollipoppi Mon 20-May-13 09:59:48

That's great Lara!

Mnnn wishful thinking maybe, but I will keep my fingers crossed!! smile

mum1812 Mon 20-May-13 18:59:08

Hi I'm new to this site. My dd2 (6) has asthma and has just been prescribed montelukast sodium paediatric the nurse warned me of side affects, has any of ur dc had this ? Was there side effects? Did it help asthma ? Going back in 2 weeks as finding it difficult to control her asthma . Thanks in advance x

Sirzy Mon 20-May-13 19:15:28

Glad all is going well Lolli and Lara hope they keep it up.

Mum 1982 - DS has been on montelukast for about 18 months and has had no problems with it. What other medication is he on?

DS is struggling again. If we don't end up in A and E tonight then I am going to phone his consultant in the morning to get his appointment moved forward.

mum1812 Mon 20-May-13 19:20:14

Hi sirzy she is on clenil modulite 200 x 4 times a day and ventolin. She is not sleeping very well as always up coughing sad Hope your DS does not end up in hospital tonight x

Sirzy Mon 20-May-13 19:34:36

Hopefully the montelukast helps her then. If not ask the nurse about serevent or seretide

Sirzy hope he is ok. X

lollipoppi Tue 21-May-13 07:43:50

Sirzy how was your night? Did you manage to avoid a&e ?

Mum1892 DS has been on montelukast for about a year now, no side affects at all x

Sirzy Tue 21-May-13 18:37:20

He is plodding along, not well but nothing we can't cope with at home at the moment.

Hi sirzy

How is your DS doing?

lollipoppi Wed 29-May-13 08:16:50

All seems quiet on this thread I hope that's a good sign wink

DS is still doing ok at the moment!

Hi lolli! All good and quiet at my end. Glad all is well with you! Fingers crossed it lasts

Sirzy Sat 01-Jun-13 20:53:34

All has been calm here for the last week (touch wood)

hope everyone else is ok

lollipoppi Wed 12-Jun-13 23:22:07

Back in hospital :-(
We got blue lighted here yesterday afternoon, had a terrible night last night, oxygen levels were sitting at 87 even with the mask on his face all night, until about 4am when they picked up to 91/92
Much better day today, stats are ok and off the nebs, hoping to be discharged tomorrow x

Sirzy Sat 15-Jun-13 21:04:25

hope he is better now Lolli.

The increased seretide seems to be working well for DS, down to just 9 puffs of ventolin most days now.

lollipoppi Sun 16-Jun-13 21:08:15

Thanks sirzy, he is much better now, managing well on his inhalers

The asthma nurse mentioned about increasing his seretide upto the 125 dose, I'm not sure I'm going to agree to it just yet as this is his first hospital admission in 6 months and its quite a strong drug forva 2yo isn't it!?

Glad your DS is improving that's great news!

Sirzy Sun 16-Jun-13 21:46:07

Glad he is on the mend.

That does sound quite a lot. I know seretide isn't licenced for under 4s, DS is on 2 puffs twice a day of the seretide 50 and according to the consultant thats the highest they can go with a young child.

I spoke to soon about DS he had a croup attack last night and is wheezy again today so back up to the 5 puffs every 4 hours!

lollipoppi Mon 17-Jun-13 09:44:50

Yes that's what I thought too, his consultants appt has been brought forward so il speak with her about it.

Aw no! Hope he recovers quickly, the ever changing weather doesn't help does it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now