Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Wheezing into 2013 - Support thread for parents of asthmatics

(969 Posts)
Sirzy Wed 26-Dec-12 14:19:15

As the old thread is filling up I thought I would get a new one started!

This thread is for anyone with a child with asthma, or asthma type symptoms. Between us we have to much experience of inhalers, nebulisers, steroids, sats and all things asthma!

Sirzy Mon 28-Jan-13 20:19:18

DS is plodding at the moment, still needing ventolin morning and night but not needing extra through the day which is a good start.

cedmonds Mon 28-Jan-13 21:18:16

Hi
Really well thanks Alli he had a chest X-ray which was clear. He has been given long term antibiotics and got to go back in Three months. Hope it goes ok tomorrow x

dutchwifey Tue 29-Jan-13 18:39:32

Hi

I was wandering if anyone could help. My ds(2.6) was dx with viral induced wheeze last April after 5 months of constant chest infections, wheezing and a hospital stay for bronchiolitis. He was on montelukast which we stopped in the summer, as well as blue inhaler. Up until Xmas he never had any problems. He got very poorly Xmas day with cough, high temp-was told it was just viral and carry on with salbutamol.he recovered after about a week.
Fast forward to a few days ago and he gets poorly again with high temp and terrible hacking cough and squeaky sounding chest, also breathing rate a lot faster than normal.
Took him to doctors- we are living in holland ATM- and they said his chest sounded wet so prescribed azitrotromycine (4ml once a day) and also given a brown inhaler with two puffs morning and evening. My worry is that if I was in the UK my son would be given amoxicillin and told to continue with the ventolin... I almost feel that the new antibiotic (that I've never even heard of!) and the steroid inhaler is too much? I'm so used to being in the UK and having to plead to the dr how poorly my son is that now new medication is being handed to me on a plate I worry! Any advice would be much appreciated!

Hi, not sure there is a huge variance in treatment. DD1 had several trips to A & E with what they called 'asymptomatic' asthma which meant that she only had asthma when she was unwell, but the treatment was essentially the same. She was on a brown inhaler and Ventolin. After several more admissions and being blue lighted to hospital, and chest infections later, she was referred to the asthma nurse and then the respiratory consultant and now is on Seretide, Singulair (montelukast) and Ventolin.

what you have to balance is the amount of steroids in a brown inhaler as opposed to an acute episode. DD1 is given 30mg a day of Pred usually for 5 days, so if it preventing an attack, then it's worth it.

And Ventolin is taken as and when is needed as is a reliever rather than a preventer.

Somermummy1 Tue 29-Jan-13 22:18:20

Hand holding needed please! 5yo just had I think his first asthma attack. DH taken him to A&E. I'm home with Sleeping DD. he looked so scared. What do I need to know????

Sirzy Tue 29-Jan-13 22:33:03

Try not to worry to much. They will probably give him ventolin either through an inhaler or a nebuliser depending how bad it is. Hopefully that will be enough to calm things down but he may also need a short course of steroids to help him. He will probably need to keep on top of the ventolin for a few days aswell.

alibobins Wed 30-Jan-13 07:46:30

Somer hope ds is okay it's so worrying when it first happens.
Sirzy ds2 seems to be on a constant struggle to cut down on any ventolin sad he's on constant penicillin v for his throat but his chest is the worse it's been for ages sad

The results we got from GOSH were not at all what we expected sad we are all a bit shell shocked and entering an uncertain time until we get more clear results.

cedmonds Wed 30-Jan-13 16:12:29

Hope everything is ok in the end alli.

egolito Wed 30-Jan-13 18:29:46

Hello everyone, I have been reading your posts and it seems so worrying. I do not want to claim victory but to give you hope. My son has had 5 admissions to Chelsea and Westminster Neptune Ward since August this year with Intravenal, severe wheezing, ventolin, abuterol, prednisilone (released each time when he could handle 10 puffs every fours hours). He has been off hospital since December the 8th. After seeing the pediatritian, respiratory Dr they increased his brown inahler to 400 daily and I decided to try homeopathy (he was given pulsatilla 200 and I was given sepia 200 as well!). As I said we cannot say we have crossed the line but after trying Monteculast, Ventolin, 5 courses of Prednisilone the brown inhaler seems to be working (when he was on 200 daily he still finished up in Hospital). To those who doubt the high doses of the brown inahler, I was told that mainly the thing to avoid is too many courses of Prednisilone and hence the inhaler is more advisable since the body absorbs much less.Unfortuantely the Monteculast was a horrible experience for us, we tried it twice her turned into a different child and we thought he started having psycological problems. So, to resume do not loose hope and I am so glad that I can share this with you....

ego glad that your DS is better, but your advice is dangerous so please stop with the homeopathy advice. Really. The parents here are capable of doing research and am sure you would agree that to stop steroids mid course is dangerous.

My DD1 has lung damage and needs steroids and close monitoring.

This thread is a place where we can get support, so back off on the homeopathy advice. Please.

lollipoppi Thu 31-Jan-13 11:52:17

Hello ladies, hope your all ok and little ones are doing well? How is everybody?

our new addition was born last Wednesday, a beautiful little girl, so the last week has been a whirlwind smile

Pleased to say DS had another stonking cough and cold but kept well under control with ventolin and a course of pred x

Sirzy Thu 31-Jan-13 13:04:02

Congratulations Lolli x

alibobins Thu 31-Jan-13 13:04:52

Huge congratulations lolli smile

cedmonds Thu 31-Jan-13 13:20:59

Congratulations Lolli

egolito Fri 01-Feb-13 11:10:44

Hello, and this is a post to Ilovemydog...I am sorry if I am coming accross as patronising with homeopathy and will not then mention it again but I dont understand why you can get upset when all I was trying to do is help.
I never said to cut on steroids, I only explained what the Dr told me in my particular case. My child has been really unwell and I thought that this was a place to share not to be told off.
Congratulations on the new baby girl to Lolli,
Hope all your DS keep well.

ego mentioning that homeopathy has helped your DC is fine. But to continually go on about it is preachy.

My DD1 has been gravely ill with asthma and respiratory illnesses. I come to this thread for a bit of support as I don't know anyone in R/L whose child has asthma.

Guess it's not the place for me anymore.

Bye people!

alibobins Sat 02-Feb-13 08:35:51

Ilove we are always here to support and advise you know my ds1 has brittle asthma and your input to this thread is invaluable.

dorapeppageorgenoddy Sat 02-Feb-13 17:55:30

Hi everyone just saying thanks for support while my ds was in hospital - both boys have got a high temp today so dreading it become something else -

Roll on spring for us all thanks again smile

cedmonds Sat 02-Feb-13 18:41:25

I love you can still get the support here. Ds has been plodding along nicely. He is seeing the gastro dr on Friday about his egg challenge.

egolito Mon 04-Feb-13 13:58:35

Dear ilove, I hope you are not leaving this thread. I think that having a child being sick can make anything more sensitive than normal, and I do apologise if I have been a bit "rough", but can promise you that was not with the intention to offend anyone and will not mentinon anyo the word "h".
So, I just wanted to make amends and do hope that we can continue to all share, help each other via this thread that Sirzy created I believe with that aim in mind....

DuchessofMalfi Tue 05-Feb-13 13:34:44

I've just discovered this thread and hope it's ok to dive in with a question?

DS, who is 3, has just been diagnosed with asthma. Not really a surprise as it's in the family (DH has it too).

But I'm struggling to find a way to explain it to him so that he understands what asthma is. Can anyone recommend a good story book I can get for him? I nearly ordered one this morning called Charlie Has Asthma, from Amazon but it hasn't got any reviews and I don't know whether it's any good.

I shall be getting some books about asthma from the library for myself but they don't have anything for his age group. Can anyone advise/recommend something for him please?

Sirzy Tue 05-Feb-13 14:35:45

Not sure how much I can help because as DS was under 1 when diagnosed he has never known any different.

He knows he has asthma and that his breathing hurts sometimes and he needs to sit down and have his haler. He is really good with it all though thankfully.

There is an episode of get well soon which covers asthma which may help

DuchessofMalfi Tue 05-Feb-13 18:36:53

Thanks Sirzy, I'll have a look on the Cbeebies website and see if I can get that. I thought our library would have something, as it's not exactly a rare condition is it? But nothing suitable in simple story-telling format for small children.

Sirzy Sat 09-Feb-13 12:46:15

How is everyone getting on?

DS went to see his consutalnt on Thursday who was happy how he was doing just said to give ventolin at bedtime as standard for a while.

This morning he woke up sounding awful, morning in A and E and now back on Pred and 10 puffs 4 hourly. How things can change in 48 hours!

alibobins Sat 09-Feb-13 16:47:36

Oh no Sirzy poor little man sad hope he feels better soon.
Ds2 is having his tonsils out Tuesday ds1 is plodding on we saw the consultant again Wednesday and ds1 did a spirometry and we need to go back in 10 weeks if he is still having problems they will change his meds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now