Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Wheezing into 2013 - Support thread for parents of asthmatics

(855 Posts)
Sirzy Wed 26-Dec-12 14:19:15

As the old thread is filling up I thought I would get a new one started!

This thread is for anyone with a child with asthma, or asthma type symptoms. Between us we have to much experience of inhalers, nebulisers, steroids, sats and all things asthma!

Sirzy Sun 20-Jan-13 17:21:21

glad he is home

yummymummy345 Sun 20-Jan-13 18:45:29

Dora here is the dust mite repeller I was referring to............. http://www.amazon.co.uk/GENERATION-ULTRASONIC-REPELLER-REDUCES-MITES/dp/B003RHC4RK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358706763&sr=8-1

I was like you- would try anything. my DS was on antihistamine every day just to help with his coughing throat infections etc, tried this repeller then stopped the antihistamine.

The doctors were too quick to give inhalers , tablets, medicine (which is thre job of course) but I found the dustmites were the culprit but of course there are other triggers.

Sirzy Sun 20-Jan-13 22:44:10

Just been to OOH with DS.. apparently he has an upper respiritory tract virus.

He was one of those doctors its hard to have any faith in though so I hope that a) he was right and b) it doesn't move down like they normally do with him!

alibobins Mon 21-Jan-13 07:51:22

Think that's what ds2 has got sad last night he was coughing again all night and crying on and off. We are completely snowed in so going to ring my lovely gp to see what he thinks. Usually he will prescribe me antibiotics and steroids over the phone if he thinks we need them.
Sirzy hope ds isn't too poorly.

cedmonds Mon 21-Jan-13 08:40:14

Hope they are better soon
We were ment to be at GOSH today and I cant get up there because of the snow! Had to cancel Fridays appointment tohmm Its a shame as school is shut so he wouldn't of had a day of school.

egolito Mon 21-Jan-13 10:10:53

Hello everyone, my DS has started a cold after a month and a half. I am keeping him on the brown inhaler 400 mg a day and have started the blue one this morning though I dont see wheezing just mild cough and lots of sneezing. After all my comments of stay calm, I can tell you that having had a break of more than a month I thought he might be growing out of all this (he turned 2 two days ago). My only doubt now is wether to give him 2 puffs every four hours or 2 puffs morning and 2 night unless I hear the horrible wheeze. I had to come to work, I am pregnant and I am so stressed I can put it into words. My husbands keeps on telling me not to panic but had to travel tonight and I dont drive so have all the minicab numbers ready. How can soemone try to control their nerves when their son is sick? Hope we can take it one day at a time, I am reading all your comments and I am so glad to have found this means. It is like having a free shrink, makes me feel better to know you are all there with your support. Thanks for Sirzy for starting this new threadsmile still dont know how to put a smily icon.

lollipoppi Mon 21-Jan-13 17:31:26

Hi all, just catching up on this thread, DS has been doing really well ..... Until last night, he was literally coughing all night sad his breathing wasn't too bad but has got a little worse as the days gone on, but he is ok in himself (other than tired) I'm giving him 8puffs 4 hourly and seems to be keeping it under control for now. I have a course of steroids in just incase. I'm past my due date now with dd2 so I'm just hoping baby will stay put for another couple of days while DS gets better!!

alibobins Tue 22-Jan-13 14:46:30

Lolli hope ds is feeling better and good luck smile
Sirzy how is your ds doing now?
Ds1 went sledging with a friend yesterday and now has a terrible chest sad
I'm now on count down to ds2 having his tonsils and adinoids out 3 weeks today!!

Sirzy Tue 22-Jan-13 15:24:35

Still under the weather but on the mend stayed off nursery today so I could keep him away from snow.

DD1 was sent him this afternoon. The upshot of the school not taking her asthma seriously enough is now that when she sneezes, they send her home.... Guess it's better than the alternative. She's much much better after lounging on the couch having popcorn and watching 'The Lion King...' hmm

Actually on quite a bit of Ventolin, and would much rather have her at home when there's any doubt... smile

Arachnophobe Thu 24-Jan-13 04:41:08

Hi All back again ds3 has been awake coughing, wheezing and mucas sick for three hours now. He's been having 2 puffs of ventolin (six breathes per puff) as I am sticking to the two different GPs advice that we should not give him ten ourselves without him being seen first.
Luckily I have a Dr appointment booked for 8.40 it was for me before work but I will take munchkin rather than take him to a&e right now as he seems to have fallen asleep at last.
I had 2 days off sick last week (felt fluey) and also Tuesday this week as Ds1,2 and I spent Monday night puking and the end now poor ds3 ill - I really hate winte

Arachnophobe Thu 24-Jan-13 04:47:26

*mucus. *winter.
I will blame it on the anxiety and sleep deprivation.

egolito Thu 24-Jan-13 11:41:27

Dear Arachnophobe,

Have you every tried ten breaths each puff? I was recommended always by A & E 6 breaths per puff but was then told by numerous Doctors (one of them Dr Ahmed Massoud whom I very much trust) who said ten breaths and my DS seems better with them.
My Ds was admitted to Hospital 5 times since August with sever wheezing, once on IV saubetamol and prednisilone so though I cannot say I am an expert I have been around for a while....Tried Singulair did not work he reacted very badly, as if he had psicological problems poor baby.
Now he is on the brown inhaler high dose 200 morning 200 night and homeopathy (pulsatilla 200) which have kept him out of Hospital since Decebmer 8th. Fingers crossed. Hope this helps....

Arachnophobe Thu 24-Jan-13 12:53:32

Thanks Ego I hope your DS is OK.
We saw a new GP this morning he prescribed anti-biotics, Pred x 2 tabs a day and we are going back for follow-up Monday - I am so pleased he is actually going to keep an eye on him and follow this episode up.
I hope the meds and rest works and keeps it at bay at least until follow-up appointment but will also try ten breathes instead of six - thank you for the tip.
I feel bad as am at work but DS is with DH as it's his day off and he said he is having a nice sleep now which is what he desperately needs.

Arachnophobe Thu 24-Jan-13 13:06:08

Ego Did the Doctors recommend the homeopathy combined with the meds?
I am going to strictly follow GP advice from now on and plead for continuity of care if this continues I just hope we have struck gold with this GP he seemed very caring.
Ali also advised that there are asthma nurses if it turns out not to be 'just' seasonal wheeze (which is more than enough).
Other than following NHS advice and giving DS3 Vitamin drops for the Vit D I feel powerless at this stage.
We had similar with DS1 but he had his last episode just before 4 years and now approaching 10 thankfully.
Take care.

egolito Thu 24-Jan-13 13:34:14

Dear Arach, it seems to me that this GP is going to take care of you and I think that is the most important thing, to have someone looking after you. He seems to be giving you half the dose of prednisilone and perhaps wants to check results. My Ds has had 4 courses (one each month whilst in Hospital) of Presnisilone and normally they are 4 pills a day for 3 days.
In respect to homeopathy, I have always been a big sceptic of yoga, homeopathy, etc. but I am delighted to have found someone. He spent an hour with me, did some tests, saw my DS and gave me after two weeks pulsatilla 200. I promise you I gave him the 10 globuli and (though I dont believe in miracles) something changed for the better in his general breathing. The homeopath also sent me medicine since he said that it was related to the mother as well. No, the "clinical" Dr dont seem prone to homeopathy, though my Dr back home who is like an eminence in my country did send me to one saying there should be no clash in between classic medicine and homeopathy. I know that it all sounds confusing but homeopathy is largely recognised our there is even a big NHS Hosptital in London.
Please ask me anything, I am here. Hope your DS sleeps well. I am a full time working mother as well and know it is not easy.

Sirzy Thu 24-Jan-13 19:39:39

How is he doing now Arach?

Arachnophobe Thu 24-Jan-13 21:27:35

Thanks ego I hope so as he's only 9 months but struggled a lot since November on and off.
Thanks Sirzy he's fallen asleep so I'm going to get my head down. He's got to go to childminder all day I feel like a shit mum but at least she is used to it from

Arachnophobe Thu 24-Jan-13 21:34:20

I meant to say from experience. I will take holiday if he is worse but hoping he will get over this episode quicker than the last. Wishing all wheezy ones (and Mums) a restful night.

egolito Fri 25-Jan-13 13:26:12

Hi Sirzy and Arach how are your Ds doing? Mine had minor cough at night but fingers crossed we can spend this cold home and not hospitalised. My homeopathic medicine arrived Sepia 200 and hopefully and in conjunction with his medicine and steroids we can keep a tight fort.

cedmonds Sat 26-Jan-13 09:46:14

Ds has got another chest infection. sadHe was of school yesterday and is back to Great ormond street on monday. I think the plan is to put him o n low dose antibiotics all the time.
Alli how did gosh go?
How is everyone else.

alibobins Sat 26-Jan-13 18:44:55

Ced his appointment isn't till Tuesday at 9.20am it takes us nearly 3 hours to get there so we are staying over Monday night.
Ds1 was put on azithromycin given on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday and made a huge difference to him.
Hope your ds feels better soon.

cedmonds Sat 26-Jan-13 20:42:24

That's what ds has been on it made so much difference for him them after the two weeks four days of it and we are back to square one. Hope it goes ok alli. We are there on Monday

alibobins Mon 28-Jan-13 19:50:20

Ced how did your appointment go?

alibobins Mon 28-Jan-13 19:51:02

Ced how did your appointment go?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now