Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Head lice. AGAIN!

(11 Posts)
sybilfaulty Wed 26-Dec-12 11:07:00

Sorry you have nit problems. After a bad 3 months when we could not get rid, I used Hedrin Once, combined with a nitty gritty, on us all. We had used normal Hedrin before but this stuff did the job, together with the comb.

It's vile. Poor you. Best of British.

jstock Wed 26-Dec-12 11:02:40

I just got one from E bay. £7.25. Bargain. Just set off my psychological itchy head again!

RandomMess Wed 26-Dec-12 10:58:13

nitty gritty gets out so much more than a normal nit comb, I mean drown their hair in conditioner, stops the blighters running around and then starting at the back comb section by section and wipte the conditioner off with a kitchen roll sheet.

jstock Wed 26-Dec-12 10:56:01

Thankssmile
I have been using the nit comb as their normal comb, I went up last night as he woke up with the itching, I was running my fingers through his hair and found more blighters running round. They were small so must be a new batch. I'm still seeing live lice after the Hedrin .
I'm going to get a nitty gritty now and will put up with the stench of tea tree!!
Thanks again!!

Once you are rid of them have a look in your Chemists mine do a repellant spray, as soon as I get the first 'head lice letter of the year' I am at my DC with the spray!

I second the Tea tree shampoo/conditioner also, fingers crossed mine have been nit free for 3 years now!

BabysPointlessPocket Wed 26-Dec-12 10:43:15

Tea tree shampoo repels them apparently, they hate the smell. I've seen bottles of it in bodycare.

TanteRose Wed 26-Dec-12 10:42:01

You will need to do this every night for a week then a couple of times a week for a month or so to keep in top of the wee buggers

dishwashervodkaanddietirnbru Wed 26-Dec-12 10:41:10

have you been combing the lice out with a nit comb? Are there still live lice coming out after the hedrin treatments?

RandomMess Wed 26-Dec-12 10:41:09

Cheap conditioner on dry hair in front of a DVD or TV and a "nittygritty" comb - this is a unqiue metal comb available of presecription or costs £10, it's gets the eggs out is fab. comb like this every 3 days and 2 or 3 treatments and they're gone.

TanteRose Wed 26-Dec-12 10:40:46

Chemical treatments only kill the adult lice - the eggs will still be in the hair and will continue to hatch

Ditch the Hedrin and start combing (nitty gritty or similar)
The eggs will be glued to the hair shaft so you may need to use your fingernails to slide them off

Sit the kids down in front of a video and get to work grin

jstock Wed 26-Dec-12 10:37:04

I have a 3yo DS and a 2 yo DS. Both have head lice. Still. I have been treating them with Hedrin Spray for 6 weeks (and myself) and my 3yo is being woken by his itchy head at night now. 2yo doesn't seem bothered. Can anyone recommend a treatment/ repellent that works??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now