Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Should I take dd to the GP? Nothing I can quite put my finger on...

(12 Posts)
cestlavielife Sun 09-Dec-12 09:17:32

Give her probiotic yogurt drinks or probiotic powders it caN help with constipation. Eg bio care strawberry powder in water half teaspoon daily.
Take her to dentist for a check .

Wallace Sat 08-Dec-12 20:30:48

Did you check tongue? smile

Willdoitinaminute Sat 08-Dec-12 18:29:47

Acid erosion from dietary acids - apple juice. Fruit is very acidic and full of sugar. Explain to her that juice is making her teeth sore and give her water to drink.
See a dentist to check she hasn't early tooth decay.
Tomato sauce is also very acidic and packed with sugar.
Try pro enamel sensodyne for children ensuring she doesn't rinse after brushing. If brushing very painful just get her to swish toothpaste around for a minute.

headfairy Thu 06-Dec-12 20:04:24

Oh Wallace, I've never heard of geographic tongue. I haven't noticed anything particularly but then I've not been looking for it. I will try and check it out tomorrow morning (she's asleep now and I'm at work anyway grin)

RancerDoo Thu 06-Dec-12 20:02:50

Well take her for a dental check up anyway. It can't hurt and would rule a few things out.

Wallace Thu 06-Dec-12 20:01:22

Does her tongue look normal? Ds has Geographic tongue and is sensitive to toothpaste, tomatoey stuff, etc

headfairy Thu 06-Dec-12 19:57:26

I haven't treated her for worms yet, my mum said I should just go ahead, but I'm reluctant to give her something without proof of her having them. I haven't checked her bottom at night (she's not quite 3 and still wears a pull up at night)

Usually when I'm checking her teeth (we have this game where I hunt for "sugar monsters" to try and clean her teeth properly) I try and have a good look. It's all a bit quick because she only tolerates it for a second and usually I'm trying to shove a toothbrush in to give them a quick scrub, but I haven't seen anything obvious.

She's still eating ok, so she can't be in too much pain. It was just the cold and tomato ketchup that was causing her problem. To me that sounds like two different things. I guess it could just be a coincidence.

mmmmsleep Thu 06-Dec-12 19:53:21

First issue sounds dental. Second...checkpoo for worms but small poos ( rabbit droppings?) sounds like constipation. First step increase fluid and fibre (fruit with skins on prune bits etc) if that doean't help tgen see gp.

lucidlady Thu 06-Dec-12 19:50:45

Teeth sound like they could be sensitive or she might have a cavity so take her to the dentist.

Bottom could well be worms, so GP for that. Have you checked Her bottom when she's asleep?

RancerDoo Thu 06-Dec-12 19:50:43

I'd probably give her some ovex to finish off any worms. I am sure my kids have had them but never actually spotted one.
Have you looked in her mouth for ulcers or bits that look sore?
If there's nothing I'd probably consider a trip to the gp if this continues for more than a couple of months.

RillaBlythe Thu 06-Dec-12 19:47:54

Dentist?

headfairy Thu 06-Dec-12 19:46:26

She seems herself most of the time just a couple of things I've noticed recently. She's always put up a fight to brush her teeth but recently she's been complaining it hurts when I do it, we'd just got to a stage where she'd actually do them and now she screams that it hurts her. She's also complained a lot that she can't drink cold drinks, I've had to warm apple juice in the microwave for her when it's been kept in the fridge. She also freaked out when she had some tomato ketchup the other day saying it hurt her.

I'm not sure it's connected, but my mum mentioned that she might have threadworm as she had been scratching her bottom one evening. She's said a couple of times in the past that it hurt, I thought it was just a case of her (and me?) not wiping properly after going to the loo and it being irritated. I haven't seen any signs of threadworms in her poo. I've had a look at her bottom too and it doesn't seem red or sore, though there is a tiny bump just at the entrance, it looks a bit like a skin tag (she was wriggling about a bit so I couldn't get a very long look). She's had a bit of constipation recently, poos are hard and small but she does go regularly. I thought it might just be because she is rubbish at eating fruit.

Do these things put together warrant a trip to the doctors?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now