Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

earache and nosebleeds together - help!

(14 Posts)
ReallyTired Wed 28-Nov-12 12:55:24

I am sorry your ds is ill. I imagine that the slight nose bleed was caused by him blowing his nose too hard.

I suggest calpol and iprofen. If your child is old enough to be sensible then steam inhalation with a few drops of olbas can help clear the nose. Obviously if your son is under eight years old then the risk of scalding would rule this out. It would also help if you give your son an extra pillow at night.

Most ear infections are caused by viruses which are not treatable with anti biotics. If your son is still suffering after 3 days or his ear drum perforates then its worth seeing the GP.

moonbells Wed 28-Nov-12 12:50:19

Thanks all, we're now fighting with trying to get eardrops in, without him having the habdabs! grin

My DS had cold last week or before.He complained of earache in the middle of night.No fever.Took him to GP,just wax.Prescribed olive oil drops.He did get blood kind of secretion when he blowed.Usually it comes like that when sinuses are infected.It will clear as the infection goes.So not to worry.

BeaWheesht Mon 26-Nov-12 19:38:20

Mug attention to jim?! Wtf?

Much attention to him!!!!

BeaWheesht Mon 26-Nov-12 19:37:33

I never knew that amillionyears!

Glad not anything serious.

Ds often complains of sore ears / funny feeling ears. I don't pay mug attention to jim - oops!

amillionyears Mon 26-Nov-12 19:16:20

A nurse once told me that, if your child has an ear infection, you take the child to the GP if he/she does not have or had a cold.
If your child has a cold, the ear infection should clear up by itself.
I was doing it the other way round blush

moonbells Mon 26-Nov-12 19:06:45

he did have, last week, which probably triggered the nose if nothing else. sigh

amillionyears Mon 26-Nov-12 19:03:23

Does he have a cold?

moonbells Mon 26-Nov-12 19:01:29

Dunno, probably because they figured earache = infection = having to take his temp every break during today to make sure he's OK.

Anyway, he's stuffed up with wax. Hello, eardrops (and off to school again tomorrow with another note)

(glad it's not an infection anyway!)

BeaWheesht Mon 26-Nov-12 17:30:14

Really? Why?

moonbells Mon 26-Nov-12 16:50:06

School doesn't like him going with ear pain so hand forced in the end. Off there in 10 mins!

BeaWheesht Mon 26-Nov-12 07:10:32

I wouldn't be taking him to get seen at all tbh unless he had high fever or was unwell with it

moonbells Sun 25-Nov-12 23:07:50

(I hasten to add he is now back fitfully asleep again about 3 feet away from laptop - or I wouldn't be here typing!)

moonbells Sun 25-Nov-12 23:05:32

DS just woke up screaming about earache. He is complaining his ear is buzzing which usually means wax, but when I asked him to very gently blow his nose after crying (and hopefully clear any blocked tubes) the tissue was bloody. Not a streaming bleed though.

GP tomorrow or A&E?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now