Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Would calpol bring temp down if it's UTI?

(37 Posts)
accessorieshelp Fri 23-Nov-12 20:57:19

DD has had a temp this evening. was about 38 at 6pm then up to 39 at bedtime. She has been acting as normal although she has a bit of a cold (just snotty no cough) but that's been for a few days.

She said it hurt a bit when she wees earlier(she is 3) so was wondering if it could be UTI. Also I thought she smelt a bit fishy when she went to the loo yestersay (thrush?).

However after giving calpol temp is down to 37.6 - if it was UTI would it have come down?

cat Sat 24-Nov-12 09:12:31

Glad the night was better and she seems ok this morning.

Liskey Sat 24-Nov-12 09:02:24

That's reassuring that she slept through. Hopefully the infection will go away.

accessorieshelp Sat 24-Nov-12 08:29:22

thanks liskey thenight was fine. Didn't have to give her more calpol, & she slept through. She is absolutely fine thismorning, temp back to normal. She did a wee (I wasn't prepared with a jar) so haven't got a sample yet. She didn't say it hurt whilst she was doing it but when I asked her if it did she said yes.. hmm. Will wash a jar shortly and try and 'catch' the next lot!

the doctor I spoke to last night said a lot of infections go of their own accord so hopefully this is one of them

Liskey Sat 24-Nov-12 07:33:54

Hope your night has been ok? How's your DD today?

cat Fri 23-Nov-12 23:14:40

Ah good - glad you got someone to give you some proper advice. DD will probably sleep like a log and be a sprightly jumping bean in the morning.

Get some rest x

accessorieshelp Fri 23-Nov-12 23:12:53

I just spoke to a very nice doctor, told her everything, & the conclusion is to let her sleep, if she still has a temp in the morning & says it hurts to wee, to get a urine sample (in a container that's been washed in warm soapy water), then call OOH again to get an appt in the morning to get it tested to see if she needs anti biotics. (she was very apologetic that she couldn't book an appt for me tomorrow). She also said if she wakes up in the night and is worse to bring her in.

So I am going to bed (DD is in bed with me) & will check on her every 5 minutes during the night.

thanks for all your help will update in the morning

cat Fri 23-Nov-12 23:05:22

Keep us posted! X

accessorieshelp Fri 23-Nov-12 22:40:22

Hopefully we won't be long but we'll at least have to wait for her to wee! Have packed bag but only with chocolate buttons, purse, water, calpol & toy (& chewing gum!). Will definitely get wee pots & sticks for future.

drjohnsonscat Fri 23-Nov-12 22:28:12

My DD is prone to this. She has one right now in fact - just took her to the drs after 48 hours of temps around 40 and vomiting - these are her symptoms rather than pain on weeing usually - and the urine test came up showing infection straight away so we are on antibiotics. But for future ref, you can get those wee dip sticks in some chemists. I usually keep some in so I can gauge if I need to go to the dr for antibiotics or if it's some other sort of infection which I can just let run its course.

cat Fri 23-Nov-12 22:27:28

You won't be there long , and you won't be staying - because DD is FINE!

BUT... DS2 was rushed to hospital from the GP surgery. I was so convinced his temp of 42 was just because of a cold/teething that I left a chicken casserole on the hob!

I was left stuck in the hosp with nothing - not even my purse for 18hrs until DH could come back after waiting for DM and sorting out DS1.

Soooo..... if you are going to OOH GP or A and E - I suggest you grab a bag just in case

Which you won't need as you will be home very soon and cursing that bloody cat off of that mumsnet wink[

Grab a carrier and chuck in:

Clean jammies/pants/socks for DD
Jammies/fleece/socks/pants/slippers for you
Phone and charger
Cash
Toothbrushes/toothpaste
Book/kindle
Snack bars/chocolate

accessorieshelp Fri 23-Nov-12 22:22:17

have other DC cat plus he's been drinking anyway

yes hopefully should be less busy this time of night

reception called me & doctor going to call me back to see whether need to go tonight or whether tomorrow morning will be ok

janek Fri 23-Nov-12 22:17:27

Surely it won't be so shocking out of visiting hours and with none of the day-time office staff there though. Hope all is well.

cat Fri 23-Nov-12 22:15:55

Can DH take you? Or have you got other DCs? X

accessorieshelp Fri 23-Nov-12 22:05:48

rang NHS direct got a message saying they were only taking emergency calls & they were very very busy. So I did the online symptom checker instead which said I should phone GP or if surgery was closed, OOH.

Just been on the phone to OOH who said she needs to be seen & am waiting for reception to call me back with appt time sad. OOH is at the hospital & parking is shocking, not sure whether to get a taxi instead

cat Fri 23-Nov-12 21:45:28

Ring NHS direct - but I bet you my last dollar they will tell you to go to A and E

Hope the night isn't too long for you

((((hugs))))

accessorieshelp Fri 23-Nov-12 21:40:25

OMG my DH can be such an arsehole he made out I was mad thinking of "waking her up in the middle of the night and taking her to a&e".

Liskey Fri 23-Nov-12 21:34:11

I think from my experience Nhs direct will tell you to go to OOh or A&e (as they did to us last week when DD was vomiting blood!)

Liskey Fri 23-Nov-12 21:32:10

At least if she's toilet trained it might be easier getting the sample - trying to get a sample from and 18 month old unpotty trained child took hours (& multiple misses with me taking my eyes off her at the critical moment!)

accessorieshelp Fri 23-Nov-12 21:31:34

Nice tip cat! Will see if I can get hold of OOH or should i try NHS direct first?

Liskey Fri 23-Nov-12 21:28:17

Nhs had this which wasn't very helpful about how to sterilise though useful with the mid wee sample info:
www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/how-should-i-collect-and-store-a-urine-sample.aspx?CategoryID=69&SubCategoryID=692

I think that chemists might be able to give you sample bottles? If you have one near you you might be able to phone them and find out. Otherwise it's boiling a jam jar for a few mins?

cat Fri 23-Nov-12 21:27:19

Oh and for wee catching - hands and feet in a washing up bowl of warm water

wink

cat Fri 23-Nov-12 21:26:12

UTIs are far more treatable than kidney infections.

Trust your instincts - it could be easily treatable with some oral antibiotics. A quick trip to the OOH GP or A and E is nothing in the grand scheme x

suntodayplease Fri 23-Nov-12 21:24:09

Boil a pot for 10min, good luck catching a wee, it took us over and hour in the waiting room, many tears!

cat Fri 23-Nov-12 21:22:54

It doesn't matter - whatever you do they will discard it.

They gave me a pad to put in DS2's nappy. When he weeed on it they said it was inaccurate due to possible contamination from faeces.

They will want you in the hospital catching the urine in one of their sterile tubes

suntodayplease Fri 23-Nov-12 21:22:27

Recent experience with high temp 40.2 + a&e said very high temps which are only v temporarily bought down with calpol are normally due to throat or UTI. DD subsequently developed a chest infection and tonsillitis so they were right.
Hope it's just a cold but worth getting her checked out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now