Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Do I need to take 10yo dd to doc?

(10 Posts)
MmeLindor Tue 20-Nov-12 08:31:12

My instinct is not, cause I don't see what doc can do but - as ever maternal guilt is making me question my decision.

She was off school last week Mon to Wed, perked up on Thurs but had slight relapse on Sunday eve.

She has no fever, slight cough and a sore throat, and has complained her head is sore. She has also said when she raises her arms, that her arms hurt (but that's got better since yesterday).

She is listless and wan, but eating and drinking as normal.

I can't see what the doc will do really, cause she seems to have a simple virus infection. Don't want to drag her out into the cold just for him to recommend calpol and rest.

MN Verdict?

LIZS Tue 20-Nov-12 08:34:41

Think I would as it may be her glands causing pain in her arms, cough/throat could be Strep or tonsillitis requiring AB's

Your instincts sound right to me. Unless it drags on or worsens considerably, rest and Calpol should fix it.

MmeLindor Tue 20-Nov-12 09:40:14

Hmm, didn't think of her glands. She says her arms aren't as sore today though and seems a wee bit brighter.

DeWe Tue 20-Nov-12 09:58:24

If she'll let you, listen to her chest (put your ear against it and listen).

Not wanting to scare you, but my dd1 had a sore shoulder when she was 8yo. No temperature, no cough, just a sore shoulder and not quite right.
She did 2 ballet shows, a swimming party over the weekend, and was half way walking to school, when she suddenly went grey, and I took her straight to the doctors.
She had pneumonia badly enough to be put on three different antibiotics, and the doctor said by her oxygen levels he wouldn't have expected her to be able to stand up. shock

The blockage in her lungs was at the top, hence the pain in the shoulder. When I put my ear to her chest it squeaked. Apparently that's worse than wheeze.

MmeLindor Tue 20-Nov-12 10:59:27

That does sound scary. No wheezing or squeaking.

She has been drawing for 2 hours now.

ChippingInLovesAutumn Tue 20-Nov-12 11:03:23

If she's not completely better tomorrow I would take her - it has been a week now, I think it would pay to get her checked out. It's chilly, but it's not as if there's a blizzard out wink.

MmeLindor Tue 20-Nov-12 11:07:41

I would have if she had been ill the whole time, but she was fine from Thurs to Sun. It is v odd.

I am always reluctant to go to the doc when they 'just' have a cold, tbh. I feel like such a time-waster. I would take her immediately if I thought it were more serious. Or if everyone on MN shouted at me.

lljkk Tue 20-Nov-12 11:12:02

I would not take her. Can't see any reason to.

If she stopped eating, was hot to touch, wheezed a bit, saw spots before her eyes, those things might make me take her.

MmeLindor Tue 20-Nov-12 21:39:35

Thanks all. She is much brighter tonight and back to arguing with her brother again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now