Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Does anyone have a young child in glasses?

(32 Posts)
Catsu Fri 16-Nov-12 19:47:18

Dd is 14 months old and have found out yesterday that her vision is v poor snd she needs glasses.
Have appt tomorrow at specsavers to get info and look at their glasses.

Any advice on what questions to ask? What to look for in frames? How to get her to wear them???

TrinityRhino Mon 19-Nov-12 22:03:21

dd1 was in glasses from about 2
I've always worn glasses though so it was easy to get her to wear them..to be like mummy

gecko also started wearing them at 4

I started at about 14 months

in my parents and my experience kids get used to it very quickly

you'll be fine smile

TrinityRhino Mon 19-Nov-12 22:04:16

I use our local independent one

they are all very kind and they get to know the kids very well

WakeyCakey Sun 25-Nov-12 20:15:23

I wouldn't worry too much about whether it is an independent or large multiple. I have worked in both and tbh they will all take it very seriously.
the dispersing optical will bot give glasses that don't fit properly. they will check fit incredibly thoroughly so be well assured your child will be put first.

as for breaks and losses they are covered on the nhs so don't get too worked up about it. I've also worn glasses since 8 months so I know what its like to be a child wearing them.

LO will be in very safe hands. but if when you go you don't feel totally happy or comfortable find somewhere that you do. make sure you ask 100 questions if you need to. We've seen children of all ages and all personalities so will have any information you need. good luck!

WakeyCakey Sun 25-Nov-12 20:16:46

Dispensing optician even...apparently can't spell my own job title...silly phone grin

BarryShitpeas Tue 27-Nov-12 23:25:56

Just a tip for encouraging them to wear their glasses is to make cardboard glasses for all the dolls, teddies etc, so they get to play eye hospitals and optitians with their toys.

Catsu Thu 29-Nov-12 07:26:21

Thanks, will try the toy glasses on dolls and teddies!
She got her glasses yesterday and so far hates then and hasn't kept them on for more than a couple of seconds at a tine!

blanksquit Fri 30-Nov-12 22:59:58

That sounds familiar. We just kept putting them back on and trying to distract. It took ages (years) for her to want to wear them. And they were often hidden in obscure places - down the garden once.

When she's a bit older, they make prescription goggles for swimming which you can buy online. I didn't realise for ages and hadn't grasped that my dd couldn't see what the swimming teacher was demonstrating.

Good luck! One day she'll surprise you by demanding her glasses the minute she gets up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now