Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Poor 2yo DS's temp is 39.4 (underarm). Suggestions?

(19 Posts)
OverlyWordyHurdyGurdy Thu 15-Nov-12 17:49:02

It's only been up today, but he's really burning up and quite trembly/lethargic. No rash. He's cuddled on my knee watching CBeebies.

I'm keeping an eye on his temp but not planning on offering more calpol till bedtime unless he gets more uncomfortable. Offering fluids, though he doesn't want much. What else should I be doing?

Skiffen Thu 15-Nov-12 18:21:32

You need to give calpol and ibuprofen regularly according to pack instructions. small sips little and often, tepid flannel, loose, cool clothes. Ring ooh if temp doesnt go down despite these measures, if he has a rash or you think there is a focis for the onfection ie ear ache. Good luck for the night smile

OverlyWordyHurdyGurdy Thu 15-Nov-12 18:30:36

Gawd, the night ahead sad.

He's had a little chicken broth (just clear broth, nothing in it). Doesn't want anything to eat.

slightlycrumpled Thu 15-Nov-12 19:51:26

My Da had temp of 40 on Tuesday evening. Had only been poorly from lunchtime. I phoned NHS direct as I couldn't get it to go down despite calpol, fan, loose clothing etc. Anyway, they recommended out of hours as a temp 40+ in under 5's should be looked at.

Turned out to be tonsillitis. He's much better a couple of days in.

Hope he soon improves and that his temp doesnt go up further, also that you don't have too bad a night! smile

slightlycrumpled Thu 15-Nov-12 19:51:45

Da - I mean DS!

Whatnowffs Thu 15-Nov-12 19:54:52

That is really high for an underarm temp, if you can't bring it down with calpol etc i'd be inclined to ring OOH

Twinklestarstwinklestars Thu 15-Nov-12 19:57:55

My 2 year old was like this from weds last week - tues this week, temp going upto 40.4 but it did come down but each time painkillers wore off it went back up. Ooh doc couldn't find any infections both times we went but he was given antibiotics as he'd had a temp for more than 3 days, he's still not 100%.

I would ring the ooh doctor just to get him checked over if you can.

titan Thu 15-Nov-12 20:04:17

If it comes down with calpol, fan, tepid flannel etc then there's not much else to do really. That's what you get with viral infections as the temperature swings up and down. DS was also like it last week. But if it stays up despite doing all that you should probably get him seen by out of ours GP.

OverlyWordyHurdyGurdy Thu 15-Nov-12 21:13:48

It's come down with calpol. Crap night already begun - two hours to get him to go off and then 20 mins later he was crying again. He's obviously feeling lousy!

slightlycrumpled Thu 15-Nov-12 22:14:08

Oh dear mine has only just gone to sleep (he's also 2), usually he's spark out by 7 but I think he is so pleased to be feeling better he's had a party in his bed!

Trouble is for you that even if he settles you will be up & down checking him anyway.

Hope he is soon snoring.

maxybrown Fri 16-Nov-12 11:24:29

My 5 year old is the same, he is constantly coughing and he is knackered - not eaten since wed lunch time, drinking but then sicks it all back up through coughing hmm not sure what to do with him - no appts at docs and temp still high - meds do bring it down slowly but not eating at all and he has a delicate tum with ibuprofen anyway sad

suntodayplease Sat 17-Nov-12 21:37:11

How is your DS now op? My DD (22 months) has been poorly for 24 hrs now, temp lingering high 39, up to 40.2 when it peaks. OOH saw her and couldn't find a cause for the high temp, and no other symptoms other than higher heart rate. Been giving calpol and ibruprofen as recommended, but told this 'virus' could linger for a few days. Due on holiday on Monday, so really hoping she picks up. We have moments when DD is running about playing and then big slumps where she almost seems out of it, and just lies on me and falls asleep. Eating v little, but taking on fluids. Horrible when they are poorly, especially when they can't seem to find the cause.

mamij Sat 17-Nov-12 21:42:06

Your poor DCs. Something must be going around.

DD1 (3yo) developed a sudden temperature on weds evening after going to bed and hasn't really improved since. Hardly eaten anything and drinking only a small amount.

Took her to A&E yesterday, they did urine and blood samples and an Xray (she was complaining about abdominal pains) but couldn't pinpoint what is wrong. Said it probably viral. We'll probably be going back if it hasn't improved tomorrow.

suntodayplease Sat 17-Nov-12 21:45:49

Mamij we had to do the urine test - more went on me than in the pot! All clear which adds to the mystery. Apparently very high temps are normally throat or urine infections.

Hope your DD improves soon

mamij Sun 18-Nov-12 00:43:07

suntodaypleaae - thanks. Hope your DD is well enough to go on holiday sad it's tough watching them suffer!

OverlyWordyHurdyGurdy Sun 18-Nov-12 08:21:37

He's much better thank you - full of cold and very hoarse (interesting point about the cause of high temps and throats, suntodayplease) but his temp's come down and his appetite seems to be coming back!

maxybrown Sun 18-Nov-12 10:54:55

My Ds went to docs and she suspected tonsilitis but no, although extremely red throat and temp only reduced by meds. She did give him antibiotics (only ever had them once before) and he is slowly picking up though still not eating and the antibiotics have been fun fun fun I can tell you! I suspect some sort of sinus infection though to be honest. he does suffer in the same way as me and the snoring/having to keep waking up to catch breath has been incredible!

My doc said same about the temp too

mamij Sun 18-Nov-12 11:11:07

Overly - Glad to hear all is a bit better.

suntodayplease Wed 21-Nov-12 21:43:20

We finally have a cause! Chest infection and tonsillitis, poor thing. Having to be very imaginative with trying to mask the antibiotics. Any tips? Best approach at the moment is pin DD down, and use the syringe in the side of the mouth and blow method but success is mixed! Drs want to see DD next week to check her chest is clear of infection so another week off nursery. We seem to float from one bug to the next these days. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now