Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

14mo-fever

(5 Posts)
LittleOne76 Sun 11-Nov-12 21:33:11

My DS has had a fever for the past two days. It's been managed by calpol every 5iah hours and there is a noticeable difference in how hot he feels after we take it. His temp has been around 37-38 under the arm. I'm going to the tomorrow to get him checked out and think teething molars might have something to do with it. Just wondering if your experienced fever this high with teething? He's been clingy and has wanted to breastfeed all the tine ( has been mimirnubf and before bed only feeds for a few months now)

Thanks!

LittleOne76 Sun 11-Nov-12 21:33:40

Going to the GP!

BeaWheesht Sun 11-Nov-12 21:37:26

Dd got temps of 38.8 when teething as a young toddler.

However, I think given that the temp is underarm and I think that's a degree lower than actual temp and it's been going on for so long I'd definitely get him checked.

Inmyopinion1 Sun 11-Nov-12 22:49:31

I would be weary of dismissing fever as teething but he likely has a simple viral illness and supportive management is normally all that's required - ie fluid and pain relief.

Please don't give more than 4 doses of paracetamol with 24 hours - you can give it up to every 4 hours but remember that this will mean that all doses are given within 16 hours. If you need something else then children's ibuprofen can be used.

You don't have to treat fever and the WHO doesn't recommend treating fever below 38.5, however, as a rule if he's hot and bothered it's often kinder to treat as fever is often accompanied by pain and both your paracetamol or ibuprofen will treat that.

With regards to using both drugs, there is no reason why you can't but the evidence suggests you shouldn't need to although your own experience may vary.

LittleOne76 Mon 12-Nov-12 18:37:51

Thanks . Got him checked out today and all ok. He temp also settled down this afternoon which is a huge relief. Dr thinks its a viral infection.. Poss ear.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now