Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Negative urine test but recurrent infection symptoms

(11 Posts)
reindeesandchristmastrees Fri 26-Oct-12 19:14:18

Hi dd 2.5 who is potty trained day time keeps having symptons of UTI but urine tests always negatvie.
Symptoms are strong smelling urine, complaining of pain in her vulva region and frequent incontinence. She is fully potty trained and doesn't have accidents unless having an episode. When she is having an issue she will wet herself 5 or 6 times a day.
Kidney scan hasn't shown anythng and she seems to be emptying her bladder.
The Paediatrician doesnt seem to know what is wrong and typically we hadnt had an episode for 7 weeks when we saw the consultant this week but now seem to be having one.
Does anyone have any ideas as to what this might be and what we can do. Inter stitial cystitus sounds plausible but for the strong smelling urine.

reindeesandchristmastrees Sun 28-Oct-12 01:21:14

Bumping

I think (totally my suspicion) that Dd gets whiffy and shows symptoms when she gets threadworm. And it makes her itch which makes her sore.

Is your DD in nursery? Buy ovex over counter as cant do any harm.

reindeesandchristmastrees Sun 28-Oct-12 20:11:25

Thanks, from doing research threadworms came up so we have all had a dose of worming meds and I'll do again in a fortnight. Thanks or replying

reindeesandchristmastrees Sun 28-Oct-12 22:12:35

Thanks, from doing research threadworms came up so we have all had a dose of worming meds and I'll do again in a fortnight. Thanks or replying

reindeesandchristmastrees Fri 09-Nov-12 19:35:51

Ok so i have given us all worming medication but have all the symptoms of another uti - gave sample into dr's and they say it is negative. I've phoned the consultant to get another appointment. Has anyone got any idea as to what is wrong with her? Pretty please?

Inmyopinion1 Sun 11-Nov-12 04:54:53

Sounds like Vulvovaginitis - essentially irritation or local infection, such as thrush, around the external genitalia. Leads to the discomfort when passing urine and sometimes cloudy urine but will not lead to positive urine test - the doctor is dipping the urine for white cells (the cells in the body that fight infection) and nitrites (a metabolite produced by bacteria). A negative dipstick is very sensitive for excluding a urinary tract infection.

She may require a trial of topical thrush treatment and tips for management can be found easily online.

reindeesandchristmastrees Tue 13-Nov-12 22:16:05

Thank you so much. Ive phoned the consultants secretary and hopefully we can get to the bottom of this (no pun intended)

aurynne Sat 17-Nov-12 08:58:27

I was also going to suggest thrush. I have recurrent thrush infections, and on occasions they infect the urethra and give me similar symptoms to an UTI.

mummytopebs Sat 24-Nov-12 20:29:16

Are they sending the samples offor just dipsticking?

If they are just dipping in surgery then its possible to get nothing. They need to send samples off to lab. My DD also suffers from this sort of thing now and again. Nothing when tested in Dr - but they know to send off for lab to grow 'stuff'. Could she be wiping the wrong way - that is usually the cause in most girls UTI. sad

Hope you get some answers soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now