Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Any experience of bone cysts?

(4 Posts)
suzikettles Sun 25-Mar-12 22:29:47

Ds (5) was diagnosed with a cyst in top of the radius bone of his arm after an xray for a bad knock. It's fairly large and has left the bone very thin.

Originally we were told that it was probably an unicameral cyst and likely to get better on its own with no treatment required except regular xrays to monitor until it resolved.

This time though (8 weeks after it was first spotted) the consultant seemed to think that it might be an aneurysmal cyst (rarer, likely to get worse and doesn't go away on its own) which will need treatment. Ds has to have an MRI to get a better idea of what's going on and then they'll discuss treatment options with us.

We also realised at this appointment that it's affecting his range of movement in his arm, but the good news is that if it's growing then it's growing slowly.

Anyway, I've read up quite a bit, and I guess we just have to wait and see, but I'd be grateful to hear from anyone whose had any experience with this. I'd never heard of bone cysts before we hit A&E a couple of months ago!

suzikettles Mon 26-Mar-12 12:29:14

Bump

suzikettles Fri 27-Apr-12 19:53:13

Another wee bump. MRI is on tuesday. It'd be good to know if anyone's gone through treatment for this.

suzikettles Thu 24-May-12 23:00:54

The MRI showed that the cyst is an aneurysmal bone cyst. They're v rare in his age group, so I'm not really sure why I'm bumping again!

He's going to have steroids injected into the cyst under GA next week to try to slow down the growth and hopefully encourage the bone to heal itself. Success rate is v low, but it's the least invasive treatment so worth a go.

Next option is surgery with bone grafting. Unfortunately it's his right arm, and these can be tricky and prone to reoccur so this may be a long road..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now