Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Can we start a new asthma support thread now dreaded winter season is looming?

(988 Posts)
Knackeredmother Wed 21-Sep-11 09:26:41

Hi,
I can't seem to find the old support thread. I lurked on it during many long, lonely and frightening nights and admissions with ds over the past year and a half.
My ds is 21 months now, was hospitalized at 8 weeks severe bronchiolitis (really thought he would die) then every 3-4 weeks since whenever he gets a cold. No symptoms in between colds but a wet, crackly chest with some wheeze with every cold. Plus of course the dreaded tracheal tug and sternal recession that heralds an admission.
It is all so bloody draining and heartbreaking!
We are just starting with a new bout today after a whole 8 weeks of being well. I am debating whether to call in sick for my nightshift tonight or leave poor hubby with an inevitable hospital admission AND our 4 year old!
Anyway, would be good to hear from others going through similar so we can all support each other ( or direct me to the original support thread!)

alibobins Mon 24-Dec-12 18:51:22

He's got an upper respiratory infection hopefully once the meds kick in he will be okay hmm I've not known a Christmas where we haven't spent the say or days after on hospital.
Sirzy how's your ds? X

Sirzy Mon 24-Dec-12 21:05:14

He isn't too bad this evening.

It's normally boxing day we end up in, Hopefully not this year!

Arachnophobe Mon 24-Dec-12 21:40:45

Good night and good health to our LO's - let's hope they all pick up soon and fingers crossed for nothing worsening. Merry Christmas Eve to you all. xx

cedmonds Mon 24-Dec-12 21:41:21

Merry Christmas.

cedmonds Tue 25-Dec-12 22:05:37

Hope everyone had a hospital/OOH free Christmas. Ds has beeen on good form today.Coughing away but happy and holding on ventolin. Even went out on his new bike so not that bad.

Sirzy Tue 25-Dec-12 22:07:05

Glad he has had a good day.

DS has been ok to, found his new leappad very handy when he was getting breathless - finally a way to keep him still!

alibobins Wed 26-Dec-12 08:50:01

Ds2 had an okay day he didn't eat much but really enjoyed opening his presents smile he was breathless all day and at one point I nearly put him on ds1 neb but we managed with 10 puffs 4 hourly.

Cedmonds and sirzy glad you had a hood day too. We brought ds2 the innotab so that helped too x

lollipoppi Wed 26-Dec-12 13:15:12

Happy Xmas everybody!
DS started with a cough yday and after a very long night he is now in hosp sad they have admitted him and he is having a sleep at the mo but his breathing is just terrible sad xxx

Sirzy Wed 26-Dec-12 13:35:30

Oh no Lolli hope he is better soon

lollipoppi Wed 26-Dec-12 14:02:21

Thank you, I don't really know what their plan is but he has been on 10 puffs every 2 hours since he arrived at 7am this morn, his stats are at 90/91, normally by now they would have given him a neb?? His breathing at the mo is 67 breaths per min and he only had his last lot of inhalers at 1.30 confused

Sirzy Wed 26-Dec-12 14:05:30

I know our hospital have started using 10 puffs of ventolin instead of Nebs unless things get really bad. He has been on 10 puffs an hour before now.

Sirzy Wed 26-Dec-12 14:20:01

As this thread is rapidly nearing the 1000 post marks new thread http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/childrens_health/1644194-Wheezing-into-2013-Support-thread-for-parents-of-asthmatics

Sirzy Wed 26-Dec-12 14:22:47

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now