Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Can we start a new asthma support thread now dreaded winter season is looming?

(988 Posts)
Knackeredmother Wed 21-Sep-11 09:26:41

Hi,
I can't seem to find the old support thread. I lurked on it during many long, lonely and frightening nights and admissions with ds over the past year and a half.
My ds is 21 months now, was hospitalized at 8 weeks severe bronchiolitis (really thought he would die) then every 3-4 weeks since whenever he gets a cold. No symptoms in between colds but a wet, crackly chest with some wheeze with every cold. Plus of course the dreaded tracheal tug and sternal recession that heralds an admission.
It is all so bloody draining and heartbreaking!
We are just starting with a new bout today after a whole 8 weeks of being well. I am debating whether to call in sick for my nightshift tonight or leave poor hubby with an inevitable hospital admission AND our 4 year old!
Anyway, would be good to hear from others going through similar so we can all support each other ( or direct me to the original support thread!)

alibobins Mon 19-Nov-12 22:08:26

Our hospital doesn't give oxygen unless days drop between 92 so that sounds like a plan hopefully you can get him seen in the morning

alibobins Mon 19-Nov-12 22:08:49

Days=sats smile

Sirzy Mon 19-Nov-12 22:09:33

Ours only give if it drops below 90 and then it's only if it drops after 10 puffs of ventolin or a neb

Yes ours the same Ali so wil keep going with the regular checking

alibobins Tue 20-Nov-12 09:50:05

What kind of night did you have large?
Hope ds feels better soon x x

butterfingerz Tue 20-Nov-12 09:51:13

Not been on here for a while, which was nice! DS has been suffering since last night.. I've had nasty sinusitis and I think he's caught the virus that caused it, gone straight on his chest. Have give him 10 puffs ventolin 4 hrly which has helped a little but not much, constant coughing, wheezing, hes resp rate isn't too fast though and no chest retractions. Not sure whether to have him nebbed at GP or just go A+E.

Funny he managed with the bad croup 2 wks ago but is suffering badly this time. Not even had a cup of tea this morning...

cedmonds Tue 20-Nov-12 10:15:47

Our hospital only give oxygen if sats are below 92 and if they havent come back up after 10 puffs or a neb.
Have is he now Large?
Butter hope he settles to.
Ds has had another rough night but he is playing at the moment. Of to the GP in a bit as have to go every day when he is not a school which is a pain.

Sirzy Tue 20-Nov-12 10:24:11

Whenever Ds has had croup he ends up having a big asthma attack 7-10 days after. No idea why but there must be some link!

Sats stayed around 92 in the night and he slept well between coughing thanks, he looks totally fine this morning had no more ventolin, and sats 96. So fingers crossed it was just a blip, dt1 however was very unsettled and now pale and clingy so praying he fights it too.

alibobins Tue 20-Nov-12 12:11:56

I'll keep my fingers crossed Large.
It's chemo time again so at hospital with dd had to leave ds2 sobbing at nursery sad he's had a rough night and ds1 feels sick it never rains but it bloody pours

Ds1 used to end up with a chest infection after croup too.

Thanks Ali, hope the appointment, goes chemo goes ok, so horrible been torn between ill children, sad
I've not long been out of hospital too and condition worsening so trying to rest and not over do it.
My eldest still pale and dizzy and hasn't surfaced yet, although being almost 15 that isn't that usual smile

butterfingerz Tue 20-Nov-12 15:12:49

We took DS to A+E in the end as he seemed quite bad. His sats on arrival weren't too bad, 95 but very wheezy. They give him a neb and tried giving him pred but he is an expert now at regurgitating the whole lot. His sats went up to 97 and they've sent us home but he's still very musical... but he seems settled (for now).

Hope everyone has a peaceful night, tis bloody stressful this asthma lark!

lollipoppi Tue 20-Nov-12 15:25:54

Hi all, Just caught up on the thread from the last week or so hope your all ok!
DS spent most of last night being sick, just finished my 6th load of washing sad

His breathing is terrible today, very fast but doesn't seem to be working too hard, he has a really bad cough, which is what I think was making him sick in the night, he is upto 8 puffs but only managing to go 2-3 hours on that, think I may be in for another long night x

Sirzy Tue 20-Nov-12 15:30:56

On that I would be taking him to a and e, he might need some pred or something xx

lollipoppi Tue 20-Nov-12 16:03:38

I have a docs appt for 5.30 for me, I was trying to hang on in there so the doc can see DS too, he just seems to deteriorate so quickly, he had 8 puffs at 2pm but rest rate is already upto 56, oh god wtf am I doing I know I need to go now don't I, thank you sirzy x

Sirzy Tue 20-Nov-12 16:49:11

Hope you aren't there too long x

alibobins Tue 20-Nov-12 19:18:08

Hope everything is okay Lolli

lollipoppi Tue 20-Nov-12 19:34:46

Thank you, we have open access to the wards so were on assessment at the mo, he has had pred and a neb and they just want to monitor him for another couple of hours to see how long he will go between the nebs, looking like they may let us home so long as he will go the 4 hours.

He is fast asleep now bless him he is shattered x

Sirzy Tue 20-Nov-12 19:35:59

Hope you manage to get home tonight.

DS is coughing and wheezing well tonight, think I may try to get him into the GP tomorrow.

cedmonds Wed 21-Nov-12 09:10:18

How is everyone? Ds was worse again last night and isn't well lnow. It's a horrid bug just goes on and on!!

Hi all, still coughing here too both of them now, keeping sats around 94 though so not too bad, don't think wet horrible weather helps.

alibobins Thu 22-Nov-12 21:27:29

How is everyone doing x

Sirzy Thu 22-Nov-12 21:58:53

All is ok here. How about with you Ali?

alibobins Fri 23-Nov-12 07:24:31

Think I jinxed myself ds2 has woke up with a high temp and very chest cough. Alot of croup is going round his nursery and a couple of children have been hospitalised sad
Sirzy hope your ds has/ had a lovely birthday ds2 is 3 in a couple of weeks.

PartyFops Fri 23-Nov-12 10:41:50

Hi everyone, it seems that due to dd's current health I need to join your thread as I am in need of some support and advice.

Dd (19mo) has had on/off cough since June and each time she gets a cold it gets worse and she wheezes. Firstly they thought reflux, then asthma.

On Tuesday, nursery called us to say she was really wheezy and was struggling to breathe. So I picked her up and took her to gp. GP said she has a viral infection that is causing a viral wheeze, told us to up the dosage of the blue and brown inhalers. At that time she didn't seem too bad in herself, she had a huge appetite and temp of just 38.

That evening her temp rose to 39.6 and she didn't want her dinner. We were very close to taking her to a&e but managed to bring the temp down with calpol and she was happy to sleep so we left her.

On weds, after not wanting any lunch she seemed to go downhill quite quickly and went a bit limp and I panicked so took her to a&e. They were quite concerned and put her on a nebuliser twice and only then did she stop wheezing. They have put her on a 4 day long course of prednisolone 25mg per day. ( according to instructions she should be on 10mg). We are now on day 3 of this, but I can see no improvement. Her wheeze is still very loud and she doesn't have much of an appetite (only for milk - which I know prob won't help). She is a chunky baby and I can see the tug under her chin when she breathes.

I'm not sure what to do. Do I just sit it out and give the steroids longer to work? Or go and see GP/a&e? I really don't know.

Sorry for such long post, didn't want to drip feed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now