April Picture book of the month: Oh No, George! by Chris Haughton

(27 Posts)
ShadeMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 02-Apr-13 13:25:30

Our April picture book of the month comes from author/illustrator Chris Haughton. Oh No, George! tells the story of George, an affable dog trying desperately to do the right thing but frequently tempted from the straight path by tasty cakes, bothersome cats and other forbidden allurements.

Oh No, George! is a bold, colourful book stuffed with humour. It was shortlisted for last year's Roald Dahl Funny Prize and for this year's Waterstones Children's Book Prize and Kate Greenaway Medal.

Read more about the book and apply for one of 50 free copies. Share your thoughts below and you could win a limited edition Oh No, George! print.

hoogervaaner Tue 02-Apr-13 23:06:16

I love this book, so funny and charming, a real favourite in our house as we have our own George!

stewaris Wed 03-Apr-13 07:01:41

Jack and Holly adore this book. I've lost count of the times they've asked for it to be read. I think they love George because he is so naughty and so adorable - just like them sometimes!

Pumble Wed 03-Apr-13 07:30:55

DD1 loves 'A Bit Lost' by the same author and was one of the first books she could tell me she wanted to have read to her (using her own signs!!) so we are really looking forward to reading this together

aoifej Wed 03-Apr-13 17:06:16

Love this book, as a teacher I would love to read this book to my class..they would really enjoy it!

MrsBartlet Fri 05-Apr-13 16:34:47

I love this book. It manages to be very funny with very few words. I also bought it for someone called George!

Hopezibah Sat 06-Apr-13 20:43:54

looks fab! Love the trailer - i imagine most kids have the same dilemma when they see cake - can't wait to see the book. x

Jenerate Sun 07-Apr-13 17:04:37

Sounds like a great book for reading aloud - must get it for my godchildren.

AndyRoberts Tue 09-Apr-13 15:25:02

This was the first book I bought for my 5 month old son and it's such good fun. I was immediate drawn to it because it's a stunningly illustrated book. I shall buy the author's first book, A Bit Lost, on my next visit to the bookshop.

Meabho Tue 09-Apr-13 16:53:46

I adore this book! It brings me great joy and reminds me of reading as a child. I want to pass it on to as many children as possible. I know it will be a hit because of the beautiful coloured illustrations smile

FairyJen Tue 09-Apr-13 16:57:03

Both my dc adore this book. It's funny and easy to read as doesn't get "tiresome" reading it over and over.

Plus ds is called George and really seems to think I am talkin to him. His reaction is delightful to watch!

amapola Mon 15-Apr-13 23:15:26

Funny and charming for younger kids. DS2 loved it, he is 3 and 1/2, asked to be read 4 times in a row. DS1 nearly 6 wasn't that enthusiastic after the first time. I like the bold illustrations

manap Tue 16-Apr-13 08:52:06

My two and a half year old Niamh wasnt interested at all because it wasnt colourful enough for her and at the moment shes interested in girlie things like princesses but my five year old nephew George really loved it especially the ending because he could decide what happened

Firewall Tue 16-Apr-13 11:25:10

This book is really fab! My two year old loved saying 'oh no george!' The anticipation of it every time is great, the repetition is really good. We loved the vivid colours and the sort of abstract pictures.

katb1973 Tue 16-Apr-13 22:19:03

My four year old loved trying to guess what George would do and cracked up laughing every time he was wrong. He also liked being able to choose what George does at the end.....it changes every time. Thanks Mumsnet!!!

HazelDormouse Wed 17-Apr-13 12:06:14

Lovely vibrant, picture book. Both of us liked George the dog. After the first time reading it together, Ds promptly turned to the back cover and said 'Another book...', indicating that he liked the look of 'A bit lost' as well. I will try to get it from the library. I think there is a bit of George in both of us. We all set out to be 'good' but sometimes it does not turn out that way.

HazelDormouse Wed 17-Apr-13 12:07:07

Just one more thing .... Thank you.

majjsu Wed 17-Apr-13 12:38:11

Love this book, it made my little 2.5 year old laugh, question and shout a lot. The humour, the catchphrase, the questions, the repetition, the theme, the colourful pictures make this a great book. Some books try too hard, this book just gels, it has all the right ingredients. I can't wait to get my hands on A Bit Lost, his other book. Thank you so much Mumsnet.

Helium321 Wed 17-Apr-13 14:09:09

Thank you for this book, we have really enjoyed reading it, so far its been picked as the bedtime read every night! Even though its the same book, my LO loves making up what happens so we are able to explore it different ways. George is such a loveable character so much so my LO would love it if there was a cuddly toy of him!

Fuckwittery Wed 17-Apr-13 15:11:29

Thank for you the book. I must say, both my children were attracted to the bright coloured pictures, but it didnt do it for me. Dd2 (nearly 3) didn't seem to quite get the naughty dog story but perhaps I need to read it again, dd1 (6) is too old for it really but saw it was new and read it to me, but was stumped by the last page and didnt get that she had to imagine what george did next <lacking in imagination>
Will give it another go tonight as I see everyone else loves it!

Clawdy Wed 17-Apr-13 18:31:44

Thank you for a book which is different and fun. Love that last page!

firawla Thu 18-Apr-13 15:47:30

Thank you for the book! My 3 and 4 year old have both really enjoyed for it, it has been asked for again and again so that must be a good sign!
The only thing my 4 year old didn't like was the open ended last page, he didn't want to decide whether George would do the naughty behaviour again or not, so I had to decide an ending and just tell him it myself as he really didnt seem happy with leaving it open!
I liked how its very simple but still manages to be funny and entertaining, and we all liked the style of illustrations

LindseyandMatthew Wed 24-Apr-13 19:54:06

My daughter is 4 and absolutely loved reading this book, George is so mischievous but and inquisitive! You really feel for him and how he just wants to be into everything. A great book for young children

letsgocamping Wed 24-Apr-13 23:58:19

Thankyou for this book. My DC enjoyed reading it, looking at the pictures and guessing what would happen next. However, they didn't want to read it again after the first outing, will see if they want to give it another try soon.

Catiinthehat Mon 29-Apr-13 18:03:44

We love this book! The boldness of it and the way theres a bit of cheekiness and more 'character' to the book! It was a book i had actually bought which i have been really pleased with, as some books get monotonous after x amounts of reads but not this one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now