March Chapter book of the month: Gangsta Granny by David Walliams

(39 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 01-Mar-13 11:17:42

There was outrage on Twitter recently about Frank Lampard signing a children's book deal. Does celebrity status qualify you to become a published author of children's fiction? There have been a fair few who have succeeded (Madonna, Sarah Ferguson and Katie Price).

David Walliams has defied all those who are cynical about such a career swerve. Hailed as the natural successor to Roald Dahl, his books are clearly loved by children and parents. Scanning the boards for discussion threads about him, the overriding feeling is that his appeal is incredibly broad, transcending age and sex and, perhaps because of this, his books are frequently recommended by Mumsnetters as the best way to engage reluctant and late readers.

If your children have enjoyed Mr Stink, The Boy in the Dress or Billionaire Boy, then you'll be delighted to hear that our March book of the month is Gangsta Granny and we have 50 copies to giveaway.

Gangsta Granny is a story of prejudice and acceptance, funny lists and silly words. It contains Walliams' trademark blend of hilarity and pathos and even features Ben, the lead character swimming across the Thames with his Grandma.

Read more and apply for your free copy before 10am on Monday 4 March.

And then please post on this thread and let us know what you and your children think about the book. You'll be entered into a draw to win £100 of books from Harper Collins.

margop Fri 31-May-13 09:50:22

A bit late with a review lol - My son just turned 10 thought this was a really good, funny and sad book all rolled into one. I had seen this book when it first came out and never bought it beacause of how it ended I thought I would wait for bit. Having received it in the giveaway my son was delighted as the boys and girls in P6 (year above him) had voted this as their favourite book. He read it in 2 nights and although saddened by the ending he said 'at least Granny had a good time before she died, but I thought she would have died in a robbery or something'....... typical boy

melodyangel Mon 22-Apr-13 14:34:31

Oh yes and Thank you!

melodyangel Mon 22-Apr-13 14:33:56

DS2 (8) loved this book! They read it at school and he has pested me for it ever since as apparently the teacher wouldn't let them read the last chapter???

Reading it as a bed time story at the moment, really enjoying it but DS completely refused to re-read the chapter about baked beans.

Brilliant book - like the others by Mr Walliams really!

survivingwinter Thu 11-Apr-13 22:17:51

Fab choice of books arrived today - thank you very much!

DS thought it was Christmas again grin

500internalerror Thu 11-Apr-13 19:57:43

Ds1 has read two of the books today gringrin

Eirwen Thu 11-Apr-13 14:20:30

Just taken delivery of a box from Harper Collins containing twelve lovely books plus a box set of four David Walliams books. The kids are really excited and have already picked out which ones they will be reading first! Such a lovely selection to suit all ages so no squabbles at all! I think I will be having a quiet time until they go back to school next Monday! grin

HazelDormouse Thu 11-Apr-13 14:10:48

Just received a more than generous amount of books from Harper Collins. Thank you so much. Lovely surprise.

mum2jakie Thu 11-Apr-13 13:52:11

My parcel of (children's) books arrived this morning. Thanks again smile

Reebs123 Thu 04-Apr-13 23:40:52

'Granny let out a familiar quaking sound from her bum ...
"Granny, please try to control your bum," hissed Ben.
"I didn't do a thing," said Granny innocently. "It must have been you."'

Loved it! Loved it! Loved it! I read this as my daughter's too young and I wanted to see if David Walliams was really the next Roald Dahl. I believe he very well could be. I laughed so much but also cried at the sad ending. This book makes a nice change to other books out there.

mum2jakie Thu 04-Apr-13 16:33:31

Thank you very much! Love reading, can't wait to see what I've won! smile

Eirwen Thu 04-Apr-13 07:59:59

Also excited, delighted and waiting in eager anticipation !!! grin

500internalerror Wed 03-Apr-13 16:59:05

Wow!!! I'm so excited (finally got onto a pc to able to reply to the pm). What books do we get? grin

LaraMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 03-Apr-13 10:40:19

Congratulations to our 10 Mumsnetters who have been selected to receive £100 of Harper Collins books, 500internalerror, Survivingwinter, Hopezibah, Eirwen, Helcrai, MrsShrek3, Mum2jakie, Babyboo1and2, Clothqueen and HazelDormouse. We will be contacting you by PM with more details later today.

cather Thu 28-Mar-13 21:06:34

We recently finished reading Mr Stink which my son loved so he was really excited when we received the copy of Gangsta Granny. Normally we read a chapter of a book a night however this book is so good I have been able to persuade my son to go to bed earlier so we could read two and even three chapters! The book is very well written and we both found it very amusing, you couldn't help but laugh out loud in some parts.

helcrai Tue 26-Mar-13 11:33:08

After sitting through many a boring book aimed at children of around 7 and up, have to say that this is brilliant! When we saw the cover both my 7 year old & I said it looks very much like a Roald Dahl (which she loves) and we were not disappointed. The story is cleverly plotted and the descriptions of the old Granny made us both laugh out load- not a million miles away from our own experiences! David Walliams wit is clearly translated and aimed just at the right level for pre-teens- its silly/yucky enough without being too close to the knuckle. He also manages to put in a good twist at the end and without giving too much away, manages a sad ending well. Its definitely a refreshing change in kids novels and we hope he writes many more like this- highly recommended.

Catiinthehat Thu 21-Mar-13 14:50:08

We really enjoyed reading this book. i found it was great for adults as well as kids! it's really funny and also very well written (the important part in my opinion!)

Eirwen Wed 20-Mar-13 16:48:41

My daughter was poorly today and had a day off school. She spent the day on the sofa and read it right through in one session! She loved it and thought it was very funny. She laughed out loud at the bit about the Queen in corgi slippers! She was a bit shocked as the ending was not what she expected. Very different, she said. She really enjoyed it and now wants more of his books. Thanks to Mumsnet and Harper Collins for cheering her up when she was unwell! grin

HazelDormouse Fri 15-Mar-13 12:15:42

Have to admit that I read the final few chapters before starting the novel just to see how sad the ending was and to make sure it was appropriate for Dc. Was a little taken aback, however, on reflection it isn't a subject that should be avoided. Great book. Will look out for more of his works.

mum2jakie Mon 11-Mar-13 17:04:19

My oldest son owns all of David Walliam's previous children's stories and has enjoyed them all. I actually got hold of Gangsta Granny in audiobook format from my local library and have to say that having Walliams reading his own stories, complete with silly voices, really adds another dimension to the story and is much better than reading them myself!

I'm tempted to get the other stories in audiobook format as they are great for car journeys. Even my younger two will sit and listen to them, although I'm not sure they understand everything, they still find Walliams' voice entertaining!

MrsShrek3 Mon 11-Mar-13 00:37:28

7yo dd has read 16 pages of this herself in one sitting today grin we love it!
I particularly like the way it's set out and the illustrations are fab (dd is very into illustrators atm) At 7 yrs 2 mths I wondered if it was too long for her to tackle as she usually reads much shorter books, it appears I was wrong grin

500internalerror Mon 11-Mar-13 00:19:05

The thing most loved about his books, in this house, is the overlap of characters. Ds loves watching out for the appearance of Raj! They are simple books, with some jokes for the adults to keep interest going, & they are FUNNY!!!!!!!!'

Hopezibah Mon 11-Mar-13 00:14:25

The kids love Mr Stink so this is bound to be a hit too. I think he is a fab author and as it really encourages a love of books for the kids then that makes it doubly-fab. x

Blatherskite Sat 09-Mar-13 10:21:16

Our copy arrived yesterday and we tried it out with almost 6 year old DS as a bedtime story. Maybe not the best idea as he was giggling so much, I'm not sure it was a very restful book!

He loved the jokes and was properly, side splitting-ly laughing for much of the time I was reading. We're only 2 chapters in but I can see him really loving this one.

PommePoire Tue 05-Mar-13 16:33:09

Thank you so much! We're looking forward to receiving our copy of 'Gangsta Granny.' DD1, (8) is a big fan of 'Mr Stink' and has also enjoyed 'Billionaire Boy.'

Blatherskite Tue 05-Mar-13 15:50:31

So excited that we got picked to get a copy! DS is adoring Roald Dahl at the moment so I'm sure he's going to love this. Can't wait. Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now