I started reading to my kids again, and I love it. Suggestions please.

(56 Posts)
PippiL Mon 25-Feb-13 21:43:54

I am so ashamed to say I got out of the habit. Their dad did it whilst I did "more important" things. I have missed out for a year or so now. Dd is 8 nearly 9 and ds is 5 nearly 6.

So I kicked my own crappy behind and started reading The Indian in the Cupboard. We are loving it. Day 4 and halfway through the book.

I have some years to make up for. I'm sad that it won't be long before they don't want a story.

What else can/must I read to them to make up for lost time?

MercedesKing Thu 14-Mar-13 07:11:37

Animal Farm, The Little Prince, Sophie's World, I was grown up by hearing my mom reading those books for me. wink They might of some help. smile

DuchessofMalfi Thu 14-Mar-13 18:25:08

I managed to find a copy of Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce yesterday, in a charity shop. So happy smile I remember loving this one as a child.

Hattifattner Thu 14-Mar-13 18:33:46

DS (10) is in the middle of Suzanne COllins' "Gregor the Overlander" series, which he is loving. Its billed as "Young adult" but I would think its 9-12 age. Its got plenty of action and a sarcastic giant rat who is a brilliant swordsman. Plus giant bats, cockroaches, spiders......and a small girl called Boots.

Leeds2 Thu 14-Mar-13 20:33:33

Mr Majeika.

jamaisjedors Wed 20-Mar-13 22:47:01

I've just finished reading Olga da Polga to my 6yr old and 8.5 yr old.

Not babyish I don't think (although I think my eldest is quite "young" in his tastes!) - I enjoyed it too.

Harry the Poisonous Centipede by Lynne Reid Banks is good too (although I prefered Olga da Polga) - the copy I bought had illustrations which meant my younger DS could follow more easily.

They both followed Harry Potter but had seen the film so knew the story - I found it a bit clunky to read out (not a fan).

lilachair Wed 20-Mar-13 22:50:04

The Secret Garden!

The chapters are just the right length. My two were asking to go to bed for the story

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now