I started reading to my kids again, and I love it. Suggestions please.

(56 Posts)
PippiL Mon 25-Feb-13 21:43:54

I am so ashamed to say I got out of the habit. Their dad did it whilst I did "more important" things. I have missed out for a year or so now. Dd is 8 nearly 9 and ds is 5 nearly 6.

So I kicked my own crappy behind and started reading The Indian in the Cupboard. We are loving it. Day 4 and halfway through the book.

I have some years to make up for. I'm sad that it won't be long before they don't want a story.

What else can/must I read to them to make up for lost time?

thornrose Mon 25-Feb-13 22:52:36

The Faraway Tree, and second Pippi Longstocking.

happybubblebrain Mon 25-Feb-13 22:54:58

Read all the Roald Dahl books.
Pippi Longstocking - we love that the most and have read it 3 times now.
Clarice Bean books.
The Magic Faraway Tree - love.
Swiss Family Robinson, Treasure Island and other oldies.

Little house in the big woods - Laura Ingalls Wilder
The little white horse
Fattipuffs and Thinifers
The Phantom Tollbooth
the Snow Spider Trilogy
Thimble Summer
Emil and the Detectives

MrsTittleMouse Mon 25-Feb-13 22:58:44

Dick King Smith.
smile

thornrose Mon 25-Feb-13 23:01:11

Taggie, some epic spelling/typing fails in your post of 22.39 grin

showtunesgirl Mon 25-Feb-13 23:04:23

The Dark Is Rising Sequence. 5 books so lots to get through!

dearcathyandclare Mon 25-Feb-13 23:06:50

Roald Dahl is great to read aloud, but resist Little House on the Prairie as very dull.
Michael Murpurgo's Kensuke's kingdom was great, also Eva Ibbotson
Alice in Wonderland still works even tho it is 150 years old.
My lot also loved poetry and fitted the bill when we were all tired, especially The Highwayman by Alfred (?) Noyes.
Clarice Bean also good for something more modern.

piprabbit Mon 25-Feb-13 23:08:58

wombling I just started reading Little House in the Big Woods to my 4yo DS tonight and he sat there with wide eyes and a look of rapt attention. Then he made his dad read chapter 2.

dearcathyandclare Mon 25-Feb-13 23:10:16

I still read to mine when they were teens especially if they were feeling overwrought.

Mr Gum definitely worth a try - I bought DS (just 9) a set of the audio books of these for Christmas and he and DD (just 7) love them.

TaggieCampbellBlack Mon 25-Feb-13 23:15:00

I'm v tired and had wine

Michael morpurgo - some of them ok (Adolphus Tips) some of thrm dead dpressing.

piprabbit your post made me smile. Both DD and DS really enjoyed it, and I don't agree with dearcathyandclare, they are really interesting.

I do agree that Eva Ibbotson is fabulous, I have just read the Abominables to DD, and she loved it!

thornrose Mon 25-Feb-13 23:23:52

Im tired and on the wine too, Sorry, didn't mean to make you feel bad, it was genuinely amusing.

Rowlers Mon 25-Feb-13 23:28:08

Narnia

Dromedary Mon 25-Feb-13 23:45:38

My DD loved all the Little House books (as did I when that age).
Neither DC would listen to the end of Alice in Wonderland (not a big fan of that kind of fanciful stuff myself).
The Moomins.
Ballet Shoes (wonderful).
Thursday's Child.
The Adventures of the Little Wooden Horse, and Gobbolino the Witch's Cat (would suit your younger DC) - my DCs both loved this series.
The Little Prince.

UnrequitedSkink Mon 25-Feb-13 23:50:41

I can't believe no-one has mentioned the How to Train Your Dragon series! They're brilliant for sharing, really funny and some fantastic language. Rather a lot of shouting though (well, they ARE Vikings wink)

vesela Sat 02-Mar-13 20:43:18

Mrs Frisby and the Rats of Nimh.

sandycloud Sat 02-Mar-13 21:48:30

You must read mr gum. We were camping when we read one. Me and dh carried on when the dcs were asleep. It was so funny. Had drunk wine. We used to fight over who could read it.

mrspink27 Sat 02-Mar-13 22:20:23

Marcus Sedgwick is great - also Agatha Parrot series and Penny Dreadful

Thewhingingdefective Sat 02-Mar-13 23:37:44

My DTs are 7 and have enjoyed recently:

Abridged versions of...
Heidi
Black Beauty
Treasure Island
Around the World in Eighty Days

Also

Billy Bonkers (by Kes Gray I think)
Daisy books (Daisy and the Trouble With...)
Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf
Mr Gum
The Sheep Pig
The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe
The Magic Faraway Tree trilogy

DuchessofMalfi Sun 03-Mar-13 08:34:17

We're nearing the end of The Magic Faraway Tree trilogy, and have loved it all the way. I don't remember reading it as a child, so it seemed new to me. Will definitely want to read it to DS when he's old enough too.

I love threads like this - gives me even more ideas for bed time stories smile

BakeryBuddies Mon 04-Mar-13 20:05:17

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Grumpystone Sat 09-Mar-13 16:56:08

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

alibeen Mon 11-Mar-13 12:52:15

I've found reading to dd and ds a way of re-reading the books I loved best when I was their age. DD and I have been reading Pippi Longstocking, The Borrowers and Little House on the Prairie series recently - non of which I read as a child but we've both loved them.

PeasandCucumbers Wed 13-Mar-13 23:33:34

I am currently reading Stig of the Dump to my 2 and they are both enjoying it & asking for more. The Railway Children is next on my list to read to them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now