I started reading to my kids again, and I love it. Suggestions please.

(56 Posts)
PippiL Mon 25-Feb-13 21:43:54

I am so ashamed to say I got out of the habit. Their dad did it whilst I did "more important" things. I have missed out for a year or so now. Dd is 8 nearly 9 and ds is 5 nearly 6.

So I kicked my own crappy behind and started reading The Indian in the Cupboard. We are loving it. Day 4 and halfway through the book.

I have some years to make up for. I'm sad that it won't be long before they don't want a story.

What else can/must I read to them to make up for lost time?

TreadOnTheCracks Mon 25-Feb-13 21:46:35

Harry Potter

I have just finished reading Enid Blyton's Naughtiest Girl Series to my nearly 9 and nearly 7 year old DS and DD, they loved them.

PippiL Mon 25-Feb-13 22:19:49

I thought Harry potter might be beyond my ds but he is managing with the language in the Indian in the Cupboard really well so might give it another go. Though dis reading them herself, but losing interest. Perhaps family reading time is the way forward with HP.

greencolorpack Mon 25-Feb-13 22:21:51

Diana wynne Jones books.

I read daughters Flower Fairies books in a massive assortment of daft regional accents. Changing every few paragraphs. It makes my dd laugh.

GoldenHares Mon 25-Feb-13 22:26:27

My dd (8) liked: the worst witch books/ madame Pamplemousse series/ Harry potter/ roald Dahl (witches/ Charlie and the chocolate factory/ James and the giant peach).
My 5 year old likes her picture story books, The Monkey Puzzle/ Stick Man/ The Snail and The Whale etc

SavoyCabbage Mon 25-Feb-13 22:29:48

The Indian in the cupboard is a series so you could keep going with them for ages!

Famous Five?

nilbyname Mon 25-Feb-13 22:30:19

My 4 year old is into Enid Blyton (faraway tree etc) and rhoald Dahl ( James and the giant peach, twits etc)

What about flat Stanley books too?

PippiL Mon 25-Feb-13 22:31:47

Regional accents are my speciality!

I think my ds has just moved on from julia Donaldson which was my fail safe option when I did read to them. It is nice to be able to explore some more advanced books now.

I remember a book called the queens nose which I loved as a child.

The velveteen rabbit,
Redwall series,
a series of unfortunate events,
the bromeliad trilogy,
just so stories,
Hawthorne's fairy books,
Heidi
Anne of green gables
The secret garden

PippiL Mon 25-Feb-13 22:34:19

Dick king smith is perhaps a bit too young and animal related for my grown up dd though.

TaggieCampbellBlack Mon 25-Feb-13 22:34:32

I miss reading to the DDs.

Things we loved.....

The phoenix and the carpet
The treasure seekers
The wind in the williows
The little house books
Winnie the pooh and The house at pooh corner
Alice in wonderland

Anything from the library that caught their eye.

PippiL Mon 25-Feb-13 22:35:53

Dd currently reading the lemony snicket books by herself.

Yes, must retry the velveteen rabbit, was too old for them when I tried last.

Googling the others!

TaggieCampbellBlack Mon 25-Feb-13 22:39:14

Loads of Dick king smiths. Dome fir littlies snd lots for nigger ones. Saddlebottom, the sherp pig etc.

TheCatInTheHairnet Mon 25-Feb-13 22:39:28

We're huge Roald Dahl fans here. It gives me loads of opportunities to put on silly voices!!

And don't be too hard on yourself. My youngest 2 (8 &9) have started asking me to read to them again. I didn't realise how much I'd missed it until I started doing it again.

MarianForrester Mon 25-Feb-13 22:39:45

Second the Madame Pamplemousse recommendation.

Miss Happiness and Miss Flower too.

A Little Princess, or Ballet Shoes, if not too antiquated?

Beswitched is good too, tho maybe for when a bit older? And The Giant Under the Snow, tho it is a bit creepy..!

TaggieCampbellBlack Mon 25-Feb-13 22:40:08

Some for littlies. Lots for bigger.

Sheep

blush

Fishandjam Mon 25-Feb-13 22:41:17

Willard Price? I adored them when I was a kid. NOT just for boys, despite what the cover blurb might say.

TaggieCampbellBlack Mon 25-Feb-13 22:42:16

Lots of old classics.

Dido Twite and the Battersea ones.

The wolves of willoghby chase

Heidi

Anne of green gables

SorryMyLollipop Mon 25-Feb-13 22:44:44

The Borrowers
Pippi Longstocking
Emil and his clever pig

LaundryFairy Mon 25-Feb-13 22:45:17

Mr. Gum - loads of accent potential! DS and I laugh like drains every night.

difficultpickle Mon 25-Feb-13 22:46:56

I've just read the Windvale Sprites with ds (8). Really enjoyed the story and we both wanted to know what happened next.

jkklpu Mon 25-Feb-13 22:47:52

Roald Dahl, My Naughty Little Sister, The Rats of Nimh

beeroclock Mon 25-Feb-13 22:48:50

Super Fudge by Judy Blume, very funny!

piprabbit Mon 25-Feb-13 22:49:01

If you can do a broad Glaswegian accent, you might have fun reading Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now