Looking for a New Chapter Book to read to 6yo DS

(39 Posts)
BaconAndAvocado Tue 29-Jan-13 22:44:18

Have read all the (suitable) Roald Dahls, Enchanted Wood and Faraway Tree.

Not interested in Horrid Henry, Mr MAjeika or Flat Stanley.

Like the idea of a more classic read but this usually means the language is inaccessible.

Any ideas?

DeWe Wed 30-Jan-13 08:55:50

I read ds (age 5yo) most of the earlier Little House books last year. He loved them, and was particularly interested in the descriptions of Pa going off to hunt.
I read him "The Long Winter" last week when it snowed.

There's also Laura Ingles Wilder's biography of her husband-called "Farmer Boy" which is him as a small boy on his farm.

Takver Wed 30-Jan-13 09:49:03

Have a look at Swallows & Amazons - although it is long, the language is very accessible, dd loved it when we read it to her about that age. Agree also with Farmer Boy and Little House in the Big Woods

neolara Wed 30-Jan-13 09:50:59

Mr Gum? Hilarious for adults as well as kids.

Ruprekt Wed 30-Jan-13 09:51:40

The Borrowers

Poledra Wed 30-Jan-13 09:57:06

Not a classic (yet!) but how about How to Train Your Dragon?

The Worst Witch series?

MuddlingMackem Wed 30-Jan-13 12:57:28

Third or fourth the Little House books, or at least the first couple.

How about the Oliver Moon books, or Dick King-Smith's stuff. I'm trying to think what my friend said she enjoyed reading to her son, as opposed to 'could tolerate'. grin

The Happy Families books by Alan Ahlberg usually get recommended, and my two love the Gaskitts. Just had a look at DS's shelves for inspiration. Your DS might like the Littlenose books, by John Grant, or the Jack Stalwart ones, by Elizabeth Singer Hunt.

Zipitydooda Wed 30-Jan-13 13:56:42

My son loves the Warrior Cats books. He reads them to himself (he's 8) but I occassionally read him a chapter at bedtime and they are good books, especially if you like cats!

He'd also read Mr Gumm and Diary of a Wimpy kid (more suited to 8yo than 6)

Zipitydooda Wed 30-Jan-13 13:58:02

There are also books called 'Choose your own adventure' where the reader gets to make decisions about what the characters do. He really likes these too.

exexpat Wed 30-Jan-13 14:04:45

The Indian in the Cupboard trilogy? That is a modern classic.

Or among more recent ones for that age group, Eva Ibbotson has written some great magic-related ones: Which Witch, Monster Mission, Secret of Platform 13 etc.

Also, the Grk series is good - this is the first one. Or the Jack Stalwart series.

BaconAndAvocado Wed 30-Jan-13 20:30:11

Thanks all ,there are some great ideas here!

Actually, This discussion has really got me thinking about the subject matter that I choose for my children, I.e. books about boys for my boys and books about girls for my girl.

But why should it be so? I think DS aged 6 would really enjoy the Worst Witch series and the Little House books

BaconAndAvocado Wed 30-Jan-13 20:33:34

(Got cut off there!)

Equally, I always gravitate to stories about princesses, little and girls and fluffy bunnies for my DD. This does bode well for the future!

On our next visit to the library it'll be The Worst Witch for my DS and, er, something manly for DD!

BaconAndAvocado Wed 30-Jan-13 20:35:28

Eek! This does not bode well!

I'm trying to write on my iPad whilst balancing a cup of tea on the sofa, it'll all end in tears I tell you!

SydneyB Wed 30-Jan-13 20:37:29

Mr Gum, Mr Gum, Mr Gum!!

BaconAndAvocado Wed 30-Jan-13 21:17:01

Mr Gum does look fun! Can't seem to work out which is first in series?

Woof by Allen ahlberg, ds loved this, it's very gentle compared to Ronald Dahl though, he also loved mr pink whistle

MuddlingMackem Wed 30-Jan-13 23:07:38

Most of the suggestions should be fine for both your DS and DD, unless it's actually your DD who gravitates towards princessy and the other stuff and you just follow her lead. grin

WantToFindWorkLifeBalance Wed 30-Jan-13 23:10:50

My 6yo has loved the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Plan is Faraway Tree next!

BaconAndAvocado Thu 31-Jan-13 19:44:32

Ooh, Narnia! I forgot about that one!

jamaisjedors Thu 31-Jan-13 21:06:06

Yes no need to gender specify I don't think. AT 5, my DS2's favourites were "my naughty little sister" and "little princess" books.

Both DS enjoyed the worst witch and heidi on CD (long car journeys).

Catmint Thu 31-Jan-13 21:11:58

We just read The Grunts to dd (6) which was hilarious for all. It was a present, I'd never heard of it before but it made us all laugh alot.

We're on How to Train Your Dragon again now.

Have previously read her The Hobbit (lots of explaining to do but she loved it).

I'm very excited about Ruby Redfort, but DD not old enough yet (I am enjoying it v much)

Worst Witch is a big favourite.

steppemum Netherlands Thu 31-Jan-13 21:12:38

Narnia is lovely, but I found the Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe, mcuh more accesible than the rest of the series, so we left the rest til later.

There is an nice series called Animal Ark, all about a vet's family. My ds loves them. (there is a companion series called Little/junior animal ark, for younger ones)

Borrowers is ace, very readable.

Periwinkle007 Sun 07-Apr-13 08:36:09

Just William might appeal and no there is no reason why he can't read The Worst Witch.

lostintoys Mon 08-Apr-13 22:18:20

Charlotte's Web and Five Children and It both went down extremely well with DS (6), as did all the Pippi Longstocking books.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now