6yo DS loves The Magic Faraway Tree - anything similar you would suggest?

(14 Posts)
Fuzzymum1 Tue 29-Jan-13 21:08:18

We have been reading The Magic Faraway Tree with/to DS who has just turned six, he absolutely loves it. He reads a couple of pages then we finish the chapter for him. He's a capable but not always keen reader. I'm mostly looking for more books to read to him as we both love that time together and I want to instill a love of stories and hopefully he will want to read more himself. Next on our list is Stig Of The Dump but we don't have anything else in mind for after that and would love some suggestions.
Thanks

Lexiesinclair Tue 29-Jan-13 21:09:52

Anything by Roald Dahl?

teddies Tue 29-Jan-13 21:10:18

Has he read any of the Mr Majeika books? My ds is similar age to yours and loves these. They are by HumphreyCarpenter, you can get them in most libraries.

Mr Twiddle books? Or Mr Gum?

The adventures of the wishing chair

Grittzio Tue 29-Jan-13 21:16:16

Scarey Bones the skeleton, the series is available on Amazon, each book has an envelope at the back which shouldn't be opened until end of book. I particularly liked them because I live near where they are set. See the reviews on Amazon.

newgirl Tue 29-Jan-13 21:17:25

First Harry potter?

Back2Two Tue 29-Jan-13 21:18:30

Aw, littleharrys that has just bought back such memories. I loved that book!
I'm going straight to Amazon with some of these suggestions as my son is at exactly the same stage as yours OP.

Back2Two Tue 29-Jan-13 21:21:25

David Williams books....Mr Stink for example

Fuzzymum1 Wed 30-Jan-13 00:44:43

Thanks so much, all look totally suitable :D I think I will need to apologise to the bank manager and buy shares in Amazon, the rate we get through books :D. (I'm totally useless at remembering to take library books back!)

SavoyCabbage Wed 30-Jan-13 02:39:42

There are lots and lots of Enid Blyton short story books. That's what we went on to after the Faraway tree. There are so many, there will be a list on the Enid Blyton website. One of ours is called'The Walkaway Shoes'.

WhizzerAndChips Wed 19-Jun-13 21:24:59

There's lots more Enid Blyton books in a similar vein that children who liked The Magic Faraway Tree might enjoy:

Mr Twiddle
Mr Meddle
Mr Pinkwhistle

DeWe Thu 20-Jun-13 09:34:07

Wishing chair ones are similar, as well as lots of other Enid Blytons.

My ds (who's just turned 6yo) was absolutely transfixed by Famer Boy (Laura Ingles Wilder). He even was going to bed early to make sure he got 2 chapters rather than 1.

Periwinkle007 Thu 20-Jun-13 11:26:16

wishing tree is great - when I was younger and we read The Enchanted Wood at school my parents bought me it in a set of The Enchanted Wood, The Magic Faraway Tree, something else in the tree lot and The Adventures of the Wishing Chair. There are now quite a few of the other Wishing Chair books Enid Blyton wrote published including the New Adventures of the Wishing Chair which are printed more like early reader books, so shorter, less text on a page, bigger font etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now