Appropriate books for 7 year old boy at age 9 reading level

(23 Posts)
LittleFriendSusan Tue 12-Feb-13 09:28:31

DS (8) has enjoyed a lot of those mentioned above: Tom Gates; the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series; Jeremy Strong; How to Train your Dragon; Stig of the Dump; David Walliams; some Dick King Smith; the Big Nate series and he's also a fan of Laurence Anholt ( the seriously silly stories etc), oh, and Mr Gum. Also loves non fiction - animal facts, history, etc.

Definitely Diary of a Wimpy kid series, there's lots now, so should keep him going for a while. Also, non-fiction, something about a Hamster in the title - lots of unusual & quirky facts. I'll go & have a look for it in DS4's bedroom...

Annabellaboobah Tue 12-Feb-13 07:58:17

If he likes football try the Jamie Johnson series by Dan Freedman or the Tom Palmer series. My son loves them but they are a bit easy for him at 9.

SamanthaStormer Fri 08-Feb-13 20:47:28

If he likes Horrid Henry, has he tried the Diary of A Wimpy Kid series? My 9 year old is really into that at the moment.
Kind of silly and funny.

bringmeroses Fri 01-Feb-13 22:29:09

Percy Jackson? May be a bit scary but had my DC enthralled. Going back in time, CS Lewis? Jill Murphy The Worst Witch series is possibly too girly but there's a great 'hook' at end of each chapter.

amck5700 Fri 01-Feb-13 22:25:39

The Dinking Dings books by Guy Bass are great too.

whatithink Fri 01-Feb-13 13:54:46

Astrosaurs books by Steve Cole.

Rooble Fri 01-Feb-13 13:54:14

Classics such as Arthur Ransome or E Nesbit. The Silver Sword (Ian Serraillier).

Bakingtins Fri 01-Feb-13 13:48:45

Everything's Amazing or any of the other Tom Gates books by Liz Pichon.

The Hobbit?

Tgger Tue 29-Jan-13 20:59:38

Has he tried Jeremy Strong. There are loads. They are very silly and suit boys. Try "There's a Viking under my bed" or "Hundred Mile Dog".

onetiredmummy Mon 28-Jan-13 20:18:13

Thanks everyone, that's great smile

Moominsarehippos Mon 28-Jan-13 14:54:27

Anthony Horowitz writes for a range of ages, as does Jo Nesbo. Sir Gawain books are funny, and you'll know yourself if he's up for Harry Potter.

DS reads a lot of Dirty Bertie, suspect these are similar to Horrid Henry. Also liked Stig of the Dump, anything by Dick King Smith. He picked up a Harry Potter at school which I'd avoided as he gets a bit worried about 'scary' (he's 6.5 but reading age well ahead).

He also enjoys non-fiction - Guinness World Records was a bit hit this Christmas, also those adventure story series with puzzles/code-breaking in (think Usborne?)

Moominsarehippos Mon 28-Jan-13 14:50:53

St Michael of Murpurgo

sybilvimes Mon 28-Jan-13 14:48:16

How to train your dragon books are fantastic, I would definitely recommend them. Beast Quest seem very boring to me but most 7 year old boys seem to love them.

BramblyHedge Mon 28-Jan-13 14:46:50

How to train your dragon series
Horrible Histories

The books about the owls, by Kathryn Lasky.

The Spiderwick Chronicles.
A Series of Unfortunate Events.
Dragon Rider.

Stig of the Dump, by Clive King.

bodiddly Mon 28-Jan-13 14:40:07

The Jack Stalwart books, David walliams set, how to train a dragon series, beast quest, diary of a wimpy kid etc

booksteensandmagazines Mon 28-Jan-13 14:32:46

Eoin Colfer - The Legend of Captains Crows Teeth, The Legend of Spud Murphy, The Legend of the Worst Boy in the World. Straightforward reads, amusing, ideal for his age, excellent author
Michael Morpurgo - Fox Friend, Butterfly Lion

onetiredmummy Mon 28-Jan-13 14:03:57

I'm a bit in the dark now he's read all Roald Dahl & all Horrid Henry. Please let me know what to try next as he has no problem with reading but he's only 7 so I don't want the subject matter to be beyond him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now