Antonia Forest fans: your favourite parts or lines?

(114 Posts)
TheOriginalSteamingNit Mon 21-Jan-13 09:54:36

Inspired by posting near MirandaWest....

I often think of Nick's pondering in End of Term that 'it was queer and difficult being friends with someone who disliked one so much; at least, she supposed they were friends, and she supposed it was dislike, though neither seemed quite the right word.'

And for some reason, the description of Edwin Dodd in The Ready Made Family as 'an old, old man with three tiny, tiny tots'.

Yours?

deleted203 Thu 14-Feb-13 22:33:57

Sorry! (That was, of course, a Wimsey BOOK. Not a ruddy nook!)

TheOriginalSteamingNit Thu 14-Feb-13 22:50:03

Thank you! I've always wondered about Brat Ferrar!

Also read the Hobbit, forgot that one.

DeWe Fri 15-Feb-13 09:18:23

Brat Farrar was dramatised by the BBC back in the 80s I think. I have a very old copy that belonged to my granny. It was one of mum's favourite books. Also like Franchise Affair and The Daughter of Time (about Richard III) by her. I think Nick would have like the latter anyway.

MooncupGoddess Fri 15-Feb-13 21:02:50

You haven't mentioned The Mask of Apollo! That's the one on the banned list, on account of including (fairly discreet) references to gay sex.

deleted203 Fri 15-Feb-13 23:38:02

Oh! The Mask of Apollo. Was that what it was? Hmm...not read it (might do now grin). As I said, I was shock that anyone would ban certain books, particularly as they sounded fine to me. I could absolutely empathise with Nick that there was no way she was leaving behind a book that she was halfway through and having to wait until the end of term to finish it off! (I'd have been smuggling no end through. Weren't they allowed ONE ruddy book to take back, or something ridiculous?)

TheOriginalSteamingNit Sat 16-Feb-13 11:44:01

Oh yes, I mentioned it on another thread actually! Limiited 'because Nico liked men better than women'!

thaliablogs Tue 19-Feb-13 00:03:26

I totally loved mask of apollo and read it much too young. I remember not getting it the first time I read attic term, what did they all mean, it just seemed so normal to me that nico liked men better than women.

So hard to choose a favourite bit, but the scene and the phrase that come back to me time and time again, is the scene where patrick and nicola are riding back from colebridge in the dark, and nicola says poetry in her head; the rulers of the darkness of this world. The emotion it evokes so perfectly, without ever saying it explicitly, the nightmare of unrequited love as a teenager.

I do love these books!

thaliablogs Tue 19-Feb-13 00:04:57

PS has anyone got a link to that fake AIBU thread from late last year w all the fictional characters on it? That was genius (and loved mrs marlow above).

I figure mrs marlow was busy doing Good Works in the village, not to mention having to go off and be with grandmama and auntie molly on a regular basis. Paying the bills?

elkiedee Mon 04-Mar-13 14:02:47

It's a long time since I read them so must reread, but am really posting on this thread to make it easier to find again.

thewhistler Wed 20-Mar-13 22:58:44

Loving this thread.

My absolutely best bits are
- the cathedral nativity, OIRDC with regret, the awful French grandmother, and the description of Miranda being cast in stone
-the wonderful moment when everyone but Nick misreads the exam paper and the class asks the teacher if she can explain to home, and she says yes, she can tell their parents that they did bot pay attention in class and were too stupid to read the instructions
- the description of the cricket match, as good as Sayers in Murder Must Advertise
-cocoa being weak, strong or navy
-ginty's dress being transformed
-the entire hunting episode
-the magnificent debunking of Emily Bronte, where it says something like " if she didn't want you to like someone she made them kill puppies"
-the hilarious letter from Patrick's school sacking him. The sanctimonious tone is absolutely spot on .

I didn't have all if them but gave away those I did have.

I like Rowan. She didn't want to be a farmer but had to be.

As for Mrs M, she would have
Written to her children and husband
Done stuff in the village eg visiting, church flowers
Done quite a lot of the gardening prob most of the weeding
Supervised the staff and sorted out the menus
Paid the bills and done the shopping ( no supermarkets) or ordered the shopping
Done the accounts
Had to go to lunches and teas, some political, some charitable eg WRVS
Dropped in on the tenants/wives

I completely agree that their financial planning is odd.

I love Miranda's father.

Esther wrings my heart. Poor neglected child.

SunnyPath Tue 28-May-13 17:56:45

Read this thread a while ago. Yesterday I finally got round to rereading Autumn Term which I must have read for the first (and only) time about 30 years ago. Sigh...so good. Best line - 'Shrieks of silent mirth' from Ginty. Made me laugh out loud (unusual!). Will now reread Cricket Term and End of Term.

Thought - if Nicola was 12 in 1948, she'd be 76 or 77 now. Goodness.

I also reread A Stitch in Time by Penelope Lively over the weekend which was set in 1975, and I thought how dated that seemed, compared to AF which was remarkably undated.

sassytheFIRST Tue 28-May-13 18:12:56

My love of the Tempest was sparked by AF - after I'd read the book I got The Tempest off the shelf and read it straight through. Love the line where Tim is trying to design costumes and says she can't decide what Ariel should wear

"if it was a boy, you'd put him in briefer than briefs and dab him with glitter. But I don't think Keith would wear that for you and Lawrie". And then they get the giggles about the Head wearing aforesaid outfit to please nick and Lawrie.

Also "I am not my colleague's keeper"casts by their dour form tutor - I use this a great deal with my students tho they never get it

ParkerTheThief Tue 28-May-13 19:16:11

One of my favourite parts is the description of the snow starting at the end of End of Term when Nicola and Miranda are about to go and face the consequences after the service.

Also, earlier in the same book there's the bit where Miranda has been suggested as a spare candle angel and Miss Kempe and Cromwell consider the alternative options

In their minds' eye they saw the individuals who now sat, a bored and restless group, at the back of the Minster: the stupid, the inattentive, the uninterested, the willing-but-incompetent – not one face came to mind as belonging to a person able to be pitchforked at the twelfth -hour, into an unrehearsed part and make a workmanlike job of it.

nennypops Sun 02-Jun-13 11:52:37

I never understood cricket till I read the cricket term. Not that it's ever been an advantage to me, but it always niggled me that I didn't understand what the hell was going on. Now, if only girls' schools did rugby, AF might have helped me understand that as well.

The bit that always sticks with me is when someone (Rowan?) is musing in relation to Lois that she wonders how she makes it all right with herself when she is being a total heel. It's something I think about regularly at work: I deal with trying to get vulnerable people the help they're entitled to from local councils, and I regularly wonder how some of their people sleep at night knowing that, because of their efforts, a child is out on the streets in mid January. Perhaps Lois, with her magnificent lack of conscience, went on to work in a council housing department.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now