Life after Harry Potter?

(22 Posts)
Denideni Sat 19-Jan-13 09:00:34

My son has read all of the Harry Potter books. Can anybody recommend some authors that he could try next? Prior to reading Harry Potter he was a fan of the Magic Tree House books and the Beast Quest books.

How about the Percy Jackson series (and a spin off series )?

Takver Sat 19-Jan-13 09:11:05

Charlie Bone series by Jenny Nimmo
Chrestomanci books by Diana Wynne Jones (Charmed Life is the best one to read first IMO)
Artemis Fowl series
Chronicles of ancient darkness

WitchOfEndor Sat 19-Jan-13 09:16:08

Garth Nix is good, I think his series are Abhorsen and the Mister Monday series. Philip Reeves is good too, try His Mortal Engines. I think teen fiction is more consistently good than adult fiction these days!

Llanbobl Sat 19-Jan-13 09:30:09

How old is he? Are the Skullduggery Pleasant series too young for him? Would second the Garth Nix suggestion - the Abhoreson series are very good. What about Terry Pratchett or Terry Deary? My DS liked the Darren Shan books as well as Anthony Horiwitz - Alex Ryder books.....

tribpot Sat 19-Jan-13 09:34:17

How about The Dark Is Rising?

booksteensandmagazines Sat 19-Jan-13 11:03:43

The Mortal Engines series by Philip Reeve is a good follow on from Harry Potter. Its good for ages 10+

MrsShrek3 Sat 19-Jan-13 11:12:43

thanks for starting this deni - exactly what I came to mn to find out today grin

<writes list>

MrsShrek3 Sat 19-Jan-13 11:15:21

btw I've just ordered a couple of Anthony Horowitz books for ds2 too, but was still looking for ideas as a couple of books will last him less than a week....

booksteensandmagazines Sat 19-Jan-13 11:27:24

Its great having children who read but expensive and exhausting keeping up with them! How old is ds?

Smudging Sat 19-Jan-13 13:54:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Smudging Sat 19-Jan-13 13:55:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Jux Sat 19-Jan-13 13:55:51

Diana Wynne Jones. Fantastic writer and much better than JKR.

noblegiraffe Sat 19-Jan-13 14:02:15

Absolutely Diana Wynne Jones starting with the Chrestomanci books.

mrsMeeple Sat 19-Jan-13 14:10:50

Agree with Dianne Wynn Jones. Could also try Norman Hunter, Phillip Pullman, Terry Pratchett's books for younger readers.

Oh, there's loads more. Why can I never think of them when I'm posting on threads like this! confused

tribpot Sat 19-Jan-13 14:15:51

Blimey, I thought for a minute Smudging was trying to say it was better to have a child with an expensive reading habit than parents with an expensive drug one grin

Has he read Steve Cole?

Jux Sat 19-Jan-13 17:43:15

grin

Waswondering Sat 19-Jan-13 20:59:03

After HP, ds is loving the Science Museum books, eg Why is Snot Green ..... (Perfect titles for boys!)

LadyBarlow Sat 19-Jan-13 21:27:23

I really recommend the Septimus Heap books by Angie Sage. My DS & I are reading these ( we're both reading them at the same time like book club!) & they're amazing, definitely as gripping as Harry. there's 6 published already & the final one is published this spring I think.

lljkk Sun 20-Jan-13 11:15:56

How old is he, OP?

Denideni Sun 20-Jan-13 12:09:04

Brilliant - thank you so much for all the recommendations everybody!

hippppy Wed 30-Jan-13 12:14:35

haha - unfortunately there is no life after Harry Potter...or at least, not with my son ;)

He has read all of them about 10 times (no joke!) He has started quite a few books and not enjoyed them.. until recently..The Hunger Games - he has read the first two and is really looking forward to getting his hands on the third..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now