Sci-fi for teenagers

(14 Posts)

What about The Phoenix Files by Chris Morphew? There are five books so far, sixth not yet published. I got the first three for a fiver from the book people, ended up getting the fourth and pre-ordering the fifth from Amazon. Now waiting for the sixth to be published. smile

www.amazon.co.uk/Arrival-Phoenix-Files-Chris-Morphew/dp/1407124625/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1359148443&sr=1-6

booksteensandmagazines Thu 24-Jan-13 21:37:41

Have just reviewed Unravelling by Elizabeth Norris - bit of mystery, romance and scifi. I liked it because it was a good mix and I thought the scifi was believable. www.booksteensandmagazines.com/view/unravelling

I devoured Stephen Donaldson and Julian May as a teenager.

booksteensandmagazines Sat 19-Jan-13 11:25:21

I'm just reading Unravelling by E Norris and will review it on www.bboksteensandmagazines.com by the end of the weekend - think it might be a good sic fi read

How old are they?

The Mortal Engines series is good, but maybe a bit young for them unless they just want a light read.

Day Of The Triffids
I Am Legend (but I don't like it)

If they are a bit older, it's not quite sci-fi but:
A Clockwork Orange
One called 'The Death Of Grass' (but I didn't like it)
Hitch-hiker's Guide
Philip K Dick

fertilityFTW Fri 18-Jan-13 17:38:45

Mieville's 'UnLunDun' is great fun and aimed at younger readers. I remember having a great collection of Arthur C.Clarke short stories that I enjoyed. I recall a book called 'Moonwind' when I was very young that was quite lovely - romantic and sad.

Takver Fri 18-Jan-13 17:30:04

Don't know how old they are but if a bit older (maybe 14 plus) then what about The City and The City by China Mieville?

Asimov is good, the earlier (usually thinner!) ones are good even for younger teens.

Terry Pratchett - don't let the cover pictures put you off, they are good and vey clever

David Eddings if they like fantasy

lljkk Fri 18-Jan-13 16:47:48

Hitchiker to the Galaxy series, surely!!

DS is quite into Mortal Engines, but they are depressing (even he says so).

I got him to read I, Robot but he wasn't sure about more Asimov. He's enjoyed some of the Star Wars universe & Star Trek books.

He also read a bit of Ray Bradbury, but they read as dated & parochial, must admit.

I think we're overdue a renaissance of good sci fi books for adults and teens.

Albertmajor Fri 18-Jan-13 16:42:53

Whoops - link didn't work! I absolutely loved this book: www.amazon.co.uk/To-Be-Honest-ebook/dp/B0099NYLFY/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1358527135&sr=1-1 - it's sort of fantasy/realism (there's a weather phenomenon-type scenario) and suitable for teenagers as it deals with issues like friendship and bullying, as well as eating disorders, really well - but it's also funny. Not technically sci-fi though, I know!

Albertmajor Fri 18-Jan-13 16:42:13

I absolutely loved this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/To-Be-Honest-ebook/dp/B0099NYLFY/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1358527135&sr=1-1 - it's sort of fantasy/realism (there's a weather phenomenon-type scenario) and suitable for teenagers as it deals with issues like friendship and bullying, as well as eating disorders, really well - but it's also funny. Not technically sci-fi though, I know!

Chocky - John Wyndham

Tripods - John Christopher

booksteensandmagazines Fri 18-Jan-13 15:14:38

If computer sci-fi appeals try Meta Wars by jeff norton (not so much adult appeal though) and Insignia by SJ Kincaid or into the future books (but more based on our planet in a dystopian future) Blood Red Road by Moira Young(I loved it even though its teenage, my son loathed it), Maze Runner by James Dashner - more on my website www.booksteensandmagazines.com

Sparrows12 Fri 18-Jan-13 14:53:16

Watching the snow fall, working from home, lonely and bored, so I thought I would take a break and recommend a very old but (I thought brilliant) sci-fi book I have only just read - the Midwich Cookoos. I loved it and I've passed it on to my two teenage daughters to read.

Can anyone recommend any other accessible sci-fi suitable for adults as well as teenagers? I was surprised how much I enjoyed it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now