Books for 11 to 13 years old girls

(12 Posts)
bibblenoo45 Sun 03-Aug-14 11:08:00

Cornelia Funke books are always a winner. Things like InkHeart are good for 12-13 and Dragon Rider was perfect for my 10 year old. www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141365558774?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2648
I also bought my daughter (13 at the time) a book called Season of Secrets by Sally Nicholls which she absoloutely loved; it ended up being passed around her class to read as nobody had heard of it and we couldnt find it in the book shops! www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141365617550?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

RummidgeGeneral Tue 11-Dec-12 20:59:34

We are also reading 'Back Home' by Michelle Magorian (Goodnight Mr Tom author). (I am reading it to my 10 year old twin girls as a bedtime book, but it would be good for teenagers too). I agree that it is a brilliant moving book.

babybythesea Tue 11-Dec-12 20:53:39

Here is the post (well, two posts combined actually!).

Was going to say Goodnight Mr Tom but someone beat me to it!
However, I will add 'Back Home' by Michelle Magorian (same author as for Mr Tom) - I preferred it. It's about a 12 year old returning to the UK after the war having been evacuated and trying to find her feet in a country which is trying to sort itself after the war, as well as sort out a relationship with her mother. Fantastic book. the author wrote quite a few others which she might also like if she enjoys this.

Yes to The Dark is rising sequence (Susan Cooper).

A bit left-field but Just William? Funny but the writing is quite sophisticated.

L.M. Montgomery - Anne of Green Gables but also Emily of New Moon series.

There's a wonderful follow-up to 101 Dalmations which most children have never heard of: The Starlight Barking (Dodie Smith) - a day comes when all dogs wake up and humans don't - there's a reason for it and it ends with the dogs having to make a collective moral choice.

If she liked school stuff, the Trebizon series? more advanced than Malorey Towers!

Noel Streatfeild - I loved them at that age - easy to read but I loved the stories.

More adult - My Family and Other Animals - it was when I read it and it started the love affair I had with Gerald Durrell's work.

Tom's Midnight Garden (I still quite like this one!)
The Indian in the Cupboard series.
And there was one called Moondial by Helen Cresswell that I loved at that age. I even pretended myself into a game of it, and then (because it's a bit spooky) got stranded at the bottom of the garden one night having imagined certain things into 'reality' - I couldn't bring myself to run past them back into the house!

None of mine are modern - they are all books I loved at around that age. And some of them were old-fashioned then! All damn good stories though.

booksteensandmagazines Tue 11-Dec-12 13:19:54

Malorie Balackman's Noughts and Crosses trilogy is excellent - adventure, a bit of romance but nothing tacky and a story line that really makes you think about racism (but not in a preachy way). Also just read and reviewed Wonder by RJ Palacio - beautiful book.

SerendipityAlways Tue 11-Dec-12 10:46:42

Hi - Im watching this thread with interest as I have a DD avid reader! Shes well beyond the Jacqueline Wilson etc style of books and is definitely treading into teenage fiction at this stage - but shes not quite ready for Stephanie Meyers Twilight just yet! For Christmas I have bought her The Thornthwaite Inheritance, The Grimm Legacy (Polly Shulman). I've also seen a book called "The Apothecary" which is a new release which looks good. My daughter has read the Hunger Games and enjoyed them. She s also read the Skullduggery Pleasant series of books. Hope this helps!!

booksteensandmagazines Mon 10-Dec-12 21:12:00

Yes it's www.booksteensandmagazines.com. Good luck.

April2003 Mon 10-Dec-12 00:34:56

Many thanks for all of you who have responded to my Q!

Hi Babybythesea, can you please copy your post here, as I can not find the post?

Hi Booksteenandmagazine, can you please send me the link for your website?

Many thanks again.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 09-Dec-12 17:40:13

Warrior cats?

booksteensandmagazines Sun 09-Dec-12 17:38:24

I've just launched a website which reviews book and magazines for teenagers - you may find some books on there. I haven't split them between books for boys and books for girls as a lot of teenage books are not necessarily gender specific. Good luck.

babybythesea Sat 08-Dec-12 15:07:09

There's a thread up and running at the moment about books for an 11 yo girl -there might be loads of good ideas on there if you want to have a look. I've posted quite a long list on it! If you can't see the thread, let me know and I'll copy my posts onto here.

The Hunger Games series.

April2003 Sat 08-Dec-12 00:31:57

Can anyone recommend some books for 11 to 13 years old girls? Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now