Book for young children about the perils of stealing and lying

(12 Posts)
Albertmajor Fri 18-Jan-13 16:47:25

This book is great for lying (it centres around it, in fact) - although for older children/teenagers rather than really young ones. II loved it!

Sparrows12 Fri 18-Jan-13 14:47:34

Nobody has suggested Enid Blyton - although I am glad, because I always hated the way there was never any redemption in her stories - e.g. I still remember the one about the little boy who was cheeky and a Brownie put a spell on him so that when ever he was cheeky, his cheeks expanded - and the unspoken premise of the story was that the spell never went away - the Brownie never came back and undid it - so that he had to be meek and compliant for the rest of his life. Creepy stuff.

MELanglands Tue 15-Jan-13 15:33:09

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

FeelingGreen Fri 11-Jan-13 00:38:43

Thanks for the tip, I was wondering about getting I want my hat back! Ds likes this is not my hat so much I had gone looking to see if jon klassen had written any others.

IWMHB also has some interesting stuff about lying in particular, as well as stealing.

LifeofPo Wed 09-Jan-13 12:13:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

If you like it, you'll like his first one - I want my hat back.

I love these ones: Usborne's Cautionary Tales. I think my favourite is probably 'Give that Back Jack'. grin

FeelingGreen Wed 02-Jan-13 21:53:32

Ds (2) got this for christmas, I think its great, I am not sure how much he fully understands it yet but I have had to read it to him a lot of times. I think it would be perfect for a 3/ 4 year old or even older

mathanxiety Thu 06-Dec-12 05:47:25

Or Strewelpeter.

HollaAtMeSanta Thu 06-Dec-12 03:59:02

Looks good - if your DS is a bit older, Hilaire Belloc's Cautionary Tales might be worth a look too smile

legalalien Wed 05-Dec-12 18:42:31

Title sounds scary, doesn't it! Apologies if it has been mentioned already but this book is brilliant - came across it in a shop today and bought it even though ds is way too old for it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now