Book for young children about the perils of stealing and lying

(12 Posts)
Albertmajor Fri 18-Jan-13 16:47:25

This book is great for lying (it centres around it, in fact) - although for older children/teenagers rather than really young ones. II loved it! www.amazon.co.uk/To-Be-Honest-ebook/dp/B0099NYLFY/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1358527135&sr=1-1

Sparrows12 Fri 18-Jan-13 14:47:34

Nobody has suggested Enid Blyton - although I am glad, because I always hated the way there was never any redemption in her stories - e.g. I still remember the one about the little boy who was cheeky and a Brownie put a spell on him so that when ever he was cheeky, his cheeks expanded - and the unspoken premise of the story was that the spell never went away - the Brownie never came back and undid it - so that he had to be meek and compliant for the rest of his life. Creepy stuff.

MELanglands Tue 15-Jan-13 15:33:09

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

FeelingGreen Fri 11-Jan-13 00:38:43

Thanks for the tip, I was wondering about getting I want my hat back! Ds likes this is not my hat so much I had gone looking to see if jon klassen had written any others.

IWMHB also has some interesting stuff about lying in particular, as well as stealing.

LifeofPo Wed 09-Jan-13 12:13:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

If you like it, you'll like his first one - I want my hat back.

I love these ones: Usborne's Cautionary Tales. I think my favourite is probably 'Give that Back Jack'. grin

FeelingGreen Wed 02-Jan-13 21:53:32

Ds (2) got this for christmas, I think its great, I am not sure how much he fully understands it yet but I have had to read it to him a lot of times. I think it would be perfect for a 3/ 4 year old or even older

mathanxiety Thu 06-Dec-12 05:47:25

Or Strewelpeter.

HollaAtMeSanta Thu 06-Dec-12 03:59:02

Looks good - if your DS is a bit older, Hilaire Belloc's Cautionary Tales might be worth a look too smile

legalalien Wed 05-Dec-12 18:42:31

Title sounds scary, doesn't it! Apologies if it has been mentioned already but this book is brilliant - came across it in a shop today and bought it even though ds is way too old for it!

www.goodreads.com/book/show/13531024-this-is-not-my-hat

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now