We're going on a Bear Hunt....all is made clear...!

(133 Posts)
Clawdy Sun 11-Nov-12 22:10:29

Just read an interview with Helen Oxenbury the illustrator,and she said the one everyone thinks is the dad is actually the older brother...they are ALL children.

TheCeejOfWinterfell Wed 21-Nov-12 14:07:15

That twatting book scared my DD so much it had to live in the freezer (a la Joey in Friends) hmm

confuddledDOTcom Wed 21-Nov-12 14:10:05

MrsJamin my eldest loves him doing it and that is now The correct way to read it!

notso my three all get along, even when their two brothers are around too. Actually reminds me of the pictures as I can see my eldest SS carrying one of the younger girls on his shoulders like that for miles.

pleasestoparguing Wed 21-Nov-12 14:14:34

MY DC all believe it is their Dad the family profile fits ours and before DH became a computer game bore it's the sort of fun irresponsible thing he would go and do with them.

mummytime Wed 21-Nov-12 14:19:18

I remember singing the song at Guides in the 1970s! We used to do it with lots of actions.

notso Wed 21-Nov-12 14:19:58

envy confuddled, most days I feel like the famer with the fox, the goose, the grain (and the grumpy toddler!)

confuddledDOTcom Wed 21-Nov-12 15:02:00

Having grown up in a family where no one got on, lots of arguing, Mum regularly walking in and saying she could hear us from the next road (we were about the 6th house in) it's lovely having a family that all get on. I think my husband's laidback genes have been passed onto all 5 children, hopefully this one will have them too!

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Wed 21-Nov-12 15:04:05

Notso grin

NigellasGuest Wed 21-Nov-12 15:05:08

of course it's the brother, not the dad!
why would an adult be part of an imaginary game like that?

Smudging Wed 21-Nov-12 15:25:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BarbecuedBillygoats Wed 21-Nov-12 15:31:36

In that version
Why
Why do they tiptoe out of the cave when they've disturbed a bear and are trying to get away quickly?

NigellasGuest Wed 21-Nov-12 15:36:56

"I didn't want adults around because they tend to stilt the imagination" (Helen Oxenbury) - so true!

cate16 Wed 21-Nov-12 15:56:09

I always thought it was a story told in bed with lots of pretending going on..

puddock Wed 21-Nov-12 16:37:33

To those whose LOs find the lonely bear at the end sad - check out The Bear In The Cave, which is a sort of companion story (though not exactly a sequel) also by Michael Rosen - the bear goes to the city and meets some friends. My DS2 loves them both.

whiskeytangofoxtrot Wed 21-Nov-12 18:16:06

GOD I HATE THIS BOOK

lurkingaround Wed 21-Nov-12 18:17:28

DH hates that story. he thinks it's too scary. By contrast, the DCs love it.

But, it's a Dad!! With a much younger Mum. Look at him! I don't believe it. Can't believe I never got that. So I am in denial, it's a Dad.

The going out without coats in a snowstorm, wading thru the river etc, is a bit of a hint that there's no Mum there. But the Dad is the Dad. <denial denial>

I'M NOT GOING TO LET DS1 BABYSIT AGAIN!!

I always thought it wa a solo dad and mum was at work or otherwise absent.

Heh, well I always thought people who thought the eldest girl was the mum were barking mad. Clearly I am too.

Going back to the Tiger of Tea fame ... DD and I went to see Judith Kerr talk last month. She said she wrote it when her daughter was small, and they were sometimes bored and wished someone would visit. So she told a story about someone coming to visit, and the someone happened to be a tiger. The daughter had a lot of say in what she did and didn't want in the story, so effectively edited it, aged 2!

Bessie123 Wed 21-Nov-12 20:03:33

Helen oxenbury has cocked her illustrations up then because there is no way that looks like an older brother. Unless there is some complicated back story and he is a half brother who is at least 20 years older than his siblings.

timetosmile Wed 21-Nov-12 20:10:59

I take exception to the attitude that mothers are unfit to lead expeditions which involve wading and adventure. or would a mother have stopped and asked for directions without feeling that her identity was fatally compromised?

BrainSurgeon Wed 21-Nov-12 20:31:09

Noooooooooo

Grumpla Wed 21-Nov-12 20:35:46

Haha notso has hit the nail on the head.

An older brother just wouldn't have the authoritass necessary to keep order.

FamiliesShareGerms Wed 21-Nov-12 20:39:02

I saw that interview too, and found it v interesting. But not convinced that the brother is not actually the dad...

DD loves the book except for the last page "because the bear is too sad". Helen Oxenbury said that she modelled the picture on her friend who had suffered from depression, so he really does have a "sad human" quality

Bluestocking Wed 21-Nov-12 20:41:44

I always thought he was the older brother! My mum really scoffed at me when I told her this and said he was obviously the dad! Must make sure I tell her ...

Leafmould Wed 21-Nov-12 20:53:19

The dad older brother does not have the dress sense of an older brother. That jumper is definately a dad jumper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now