what are your 10 year old girls reading at the moment?

(19 Posts)
Dancergirl Wed 07-Nov-12 22:07:44

Cornelia Funke 'ink' trilogy

Naggity Wed 07-Nov-12 09:26:32

'Where the red fern grows', by Wilson Rawls, is a very good book. It tells the story of a boy and his dogs growing up in early America. The book is beautifully written. As a warning, the book does have a hunting theme and the ending is very sad. Probably not a good book if your child is sensitive.

lljkk Sun 28-Oct-12 14:02:15

DD only just turned 11, sounds like she might have similar tastes to OP's DD.

Recently she has been keen on variations of Horrible History-type books, Julia Golding's Cat Royal series (oops, see Takver mentions that one!), rereading Jacqueline Wilson, Hiccup Horrendous (finally prised it off of DS1), Phantom Tollbooth, Wrinkle in Time, Judy Blume Fudge books, Edith Nesbitt.

Takver Sun 28-Oct-12 13:29:38

Other thoughts, though she may already know them:
Roman mysteries
Lady Grace mysteries
Cat Royal series

SquishyCinnamonSwirls Sun 28-Oct-12 12:28:51

DD has just read Inkheart and is about to begin Inkspell next.

Takver Sun 28-Oct-12 12:26:13

Sorry, missed that she'd already read the Last Dragonslayer! I would definitely try her on the Dragonsinger trilogy if she liked that.

Takver Sun 28-Oct-12 12:25:21

DD is 10.5, things she likes/has read recently that sound like they might appeal to your dd

Dragonsinger trilogy by Anne McCaffrey - might your dd like this? (Its aimed at YA readers unlike the other Pern books by A McC)
A Dog Called Homeless - this is a lovely book & I'd definitely recommend it
Fly by Night by Frances Hardinge & the sequel Twilight Robbery
The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde (again this is a YA book unlike most of his)
Flambards (this has been re-issued in Puffin Classics, I know it is a bit teen-y but there's more horses than love interest!)
My Family & Other Animals but also lots of the other Gerald Durrell books - she particularly liked the one where he goes to work in a zoo (Beasts in my Belfry maybe?)

She also reads loads of 'adventure' type books eg
Artemis fowl
Skulduggery Pleasant
Rangers Apprentice
Temeraire
Eragon

Sickandsad Sat 27-Oct-12 23:27:26

My DD is just about to turn 10 and also loved all the Eva Ibbotson books. Other authors that she has enjoyed are Jessica Day George (Dragonskin Slippers, Dragon Flight etc.) and E.D. Baker (The Wide Awake Princess, Unlocking the Spell). Liz Kessler is a favourite too as she loves both the Emily Windsnap books and the Phillipa Fisher series.

She also likes anything by Noel Streatfield especially Ballet Shoes and White Boots.

There are a couple of horsey series she likes - Pony Club Rivals and Pony Club Secrets both written by Stacey Gregg.

I'm going to try her with the 'Dream of Sadlers Wells' series by Lorna Hill next as I always loved those grin

sausagesandwich34 Sat 27-Oct-12 22:41:15

the colour of magic is probably the best discworld to start with

the novels don't run in order by publish dates but the colour of magic doesn't pressume you already know about discworld and the characters so is a good start off

basildonbond Sat 27-Oct-12 21:13:23

thanks - keep them coming!

She's read and loved all of Eva Ibbotson, both those Sharon Creech novels, Secret Garden/Little Princess, all of Michael Morpurgo, was so-so about Tale of Desperaux etc

She didn't like The Hobbit or Little House on the Prairie (which I'd loved at primary age) not at all keen on Jacqueline Wilson, think Cathy Cassidy, Cherub etc would be too old as would Hunger Games (she's not keen on violence)

will try Discworld - are there any which would be particularly suitable for her age?

mathanxiety Sat 27-Oct-12 20:29:49

I am trying to get her interested in Geoffrey Trease books that I enjoyed from age 9 to 11 and also A Little Princess and The Secret Garden.

Allison Uttley ('A Traveller in Time', 'A Country Child', etc), Cynthia Harnett, Penelope Lively and Rosemary Wells are other good authors you might like to look at.

mathanxiety Sat 27-Oct-12 20:21:25

Dd is 9 but i think her kind of reading material is applicable.

she read the hobbit last week - then read book 1 of "the mysterious benedict society". Has parts 2 and 3 to read but is reading an Arthurian book by Michael Morpurpo (may be called Arthur but I forget hmm) now. Plans to read the latest Jacqueline Wilson next (all time fave author - comfort reading), the the first LOTR Then book 2 of the mysterious benedict books and so on...

she loved Noel Streatfeild but was not keen on what she started of anne of green gables. Also gobbled up my old Laura Ingalls Wilder books.

Oh yes - Judy Blume. I am not letting her read some of the older ones (no, not just Forever grin) - as yet but there are loads she has loved and a few we need to source.

mathanxiety Sat 27-Oct-12 20:20:37

Meant to add, she has recently turned 11 and zipped through Harry Potter at 9-10. The Royal Diaries are written diary style, in the first person.

She is also read Love That Dog, and Hate That Cat by Sharon Creech. Was very moved by both. They are also written in the first person, sort of..

Take a look at these (novels anyway) and see if they might appeal to her. Creech writes well.

There are also several books by Kate di Camillo that all the DDs loved --The Tale of Despereaux, and The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane were especial favourites. Novels here.

DD4's good friend read the Eragon series and is obsessed by dragons.

mathanxiety Sat 27-Oct-12 20:10:53

DD4 is really into the Royal Diaries series right now. She first read this one as she and the princess share a name smile.

They are historical fiction, pretty well written, and readers can pick up plenty of historical detail in the background without realising they are absorbing a history lesson. Other princesses and queens include Kristina of Sweden, Victoria, Eleanor of Aquitaine, Catherine of Russia, Kazunomiya of Japan, Cleopatra, Jahanara, daughter of Shah Jahan, Mary Queen of Scots, Anacaona of Haiti, Kaiulani of Hawaii, Elizabeth of Hungary and many more. Very interesting and wide ranging series.

exexpat Sat 27-Oct-12 19:58:27

Over the summer DD (just turned 10) read a lot of Eva Ibbotson's books for older girls - Journey to the River Sea, Dragonfly Pool etc - they might appeal.

In the last month or so she has moved on to Cathy Cassidy, and is currently powering through the Cherub books (Robert Muchamore) but they might be a bit teenage-y.

sausagesandwich34 Sat 27-Oct-12 19:50:43

have you tried any discworld books -funnier than the LOTR

DD is reading the hunger games trilogy for about the millionth time so it's fair to say she likes them

spottymoo Sat 27-Oct-12 19:48:28

Dd is currently reading the dork diaries books think their are 6 in total she's 10 1/2

basildonbond Sat 27-Oct-12 19:16:13

dd (10) is a very proficient reader so can read pretty much anything but isn't really interested in 'teen' stuff (relationships, boys etc)

She's really into animal books, especially horses, but has read pretty much everything we can find, likes 'funny' magic (loved Muddle Earth and The Last Dragonslayer and respective sequels) but not at all interested in Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings, has done some classics but couldn't get her interested in things like Anne of Green Gables etc

She's on the verge of exhausting our local library's pre-teen offerings and has been uninspired by an amazon browse and is now mooching around bookless, so I'd appreciate some inspiration smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now