Suggestions for a seven year old boy who likes being read to but reads well himself?

(10 Posts)
festereagain Mon 24-Sep-12 11:27:27

He is my godson and he likes having a story at night, but can read most of what he is currently being read. Any suggestions for something a bit more advanced that his mum and dad could read to him? He can read the easier Roald Dahl books like the Enormous Crocodile and Revolting Rhymes, just as a starting point...?
Any suggestions gratefully received. He likes 'animal stories' and 'fantasy' (his words)...

scaevola Mon 24-Sep-12 11:34:19

The "How to Train your Dragon" series? You can read him a chapter or two, the he can carry on reading in bed if he wants to.

ShatnersBassoon Mon 24-Sep-12 11:35:12

The Mr Gum series by Andy Stanton.

Gumby Mon 24-Sep-12 11:36:33

David Walliams
Harry Potter
Dinosaur Cove series
Beast Quest books
Jeremy strong
Horrid Henry
Famous Five

festereagain Mon 24-Sep-12 11:36:49

His brother has Mr Gum so that's easily dealt with, and How to Train your Dragon is a good idea grin....

festereagain Mon 24-Sep-12 11:39:28

oh, the Hundred Mile an hour Dog - good plan!! I've never tried any Dinosaur Cove, will investigate smile

Takver Mon 24-Sep-12 12:55:25

If I understand, you mainly want books for reading aloud? I'd suggest

Lion Boy trilogy (set in the near future about a boy who can talk to cats - so animals and fantasy)
Charlie Bone series (a bit like Harry Potter but not so dark)

For him to read to himself, I'd suggest Dick King Smith - he's written lots of animal stories, and I'd say they're much of a level with the easier Roald Dahl books.

festereagain Mon 24-Sep-12 13:45:36

I thought of DKS and bought the Hodgeheg, and I was looking at Charlie Bone, so I will go for that too - never heard of Lion Boy so I'll look at that too. The last book I read by Jenny Nimmo was the Snow Spider trilogy, I loved that - I never see it anymore sad
Thank you all so much for such great suggestions!!

Takver Mon 24-Sep-12 14:31:33

The Snow Spider is still around, I think - dd had it from the library, and it was quite a new book (but we are in Wales so perhaps more interest?).

I'd definitely recommend the Lion Boy books for reading aloud, dd and I both enjoyed them when she was around that age. The only thing I would suggest is to get the whole trilogy in advance as the first two books both end on cliffhangers!

festereagain Mon 24-Sep-12 22:24:32

OK takver, I shall buy all three smile.I am easily persuaded where buying books is concerned. Very pleased with all these suggestions. Plus may re-read the Snow Spider if I can get a copy. It was much more fun than the Mabinogion....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now