Books with your dc's name inserted in the stories

(9 Posts)
ILoveAFullFridge Fri 21-Sep-12 09:20:18

Has anyone got any of these? Can you recommend a decent one, with good stories and interesting plots? For a 6yo who can't yet read properly, but loves being read to and has excellent understanding well above his age.

BikeRunSki Fri 21-Sep-12 09:26:26

DS has one, and my sisters kids have a few between them. All gave very lame stories, that don't even hold the interest of a 3 yo. Sorry! Is there a "mainstream" book where the main character has the same name as your DD?

ILoveAFullFridge Fri 21-Sep-12 09:43:11

Only a Terry Pratchet - and I don't think he's quite ready for that!

DeWe Fri 21-Sep-12 09:47:28

They always tend to be a little formulaic. Because you give child's name, sibling names, where you live and up to three friends.
"Pooh bear went to <insert where you live> and saw <insert your name> with her friends <friend1, friind 2 and friend 3> "Will you play with us?" said <your name>.
"Yes," said Pooh
So <your name> waved goodbye to <siblings' names> and went to play with Pooh and <friend 1, friend 2 and friend 3>

Really exciting!
I think they're unlikely to hold the attention of a 6yo with good understanding, although might encourage a reluctant reader to read as, at least, the names should be easy.
When mine were at that stage I did write a few for them, with short chapters. Load of rubbish really but their liked having their own names.

If you felt like giving the name of your ds then we'll try and recommend a mainstream book.

BikeRunSki Fri 21-Sep-12 12:09:45

I did n't deliberately name DS after a well known welsh fireman, but it does help in situations like this.

dublindee Fri 21-Sep-12 12:12:23

BikeRunSki - you have a son called Elvis???? smile

BikeRunSki Fri 21-Sep-12 17:53:35

He does have an Elvis T shirt!

grin dublindee

DD has the name of a fantastic Roald Dahl character - I'm good.

Maamaa Thu 27-Sep-12 13:11:54

I bought one for my niece when she was 6. They were in a gift box and you picked which story eg Puss in Boots, and then they get to insert their name or names of friends and rellies, I think by computer. Amazon do them-a company called Gift Republic I think. Think the books are ladybird, very retro looking. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now