September children's picture book of the month - This Moose Belongs to Me by Oliver Jeffers

(74 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 04-Sep-12 17:38:35

Our September picture book of the month is Oliver Jeffers' delightful new offering The Moose Belongs to Me. It tells the story of Wilfred who thinks he owns a moose called Marcel, and follows him around reading aloud the rules of How to Be a Good Pet. They are getting along swimmingly until someone else claims to own Marcel. This is a story about ownership and sharing which is brought to life by Oliver Jeffers' beautiful and hilarious illustrations. Find out more about The Moose Belongs to Me, watch the video and apply to win one of fifty copies (before 5.30 pm on Wednesday 5 September) by visiting our September Picture book of the month page.

We're delighted that Oliver will be reading all feedback about this book and his other books on this thread. Post your questions to Oliver here and if yours is one of ten chosen, you will win a bundle of his books. We'll be linking to the archived Q&A from here in early October.

FairyPenguin Wed 05-Sep-12 22:48:35

Everybody in our household loves Oliver's books, and they are real favourites that we go back to time and again. We don't get bored of reading them at all, and have recommended them many times to others.

The only question I can think of is: "Did you also feel seasick in the animated version of Lost and Found when they were sailing through the storm?!". It was so realistic, I had to look away after a while! Apart from that, we were pleased that it stuck to the storyline. We love the boy and the penguin. grin

Yamyoid Thu 06-Sep-12 05:13:43

Beautiful books. Love How to Catch a Star, great idea.

Hopezibah Fri 07-Sep-12 23:58:21

Oliver Jeffers is one of MY favourite authors! I have found that even though my kids really like Oliver Jeffers books, I am the one who is going to be keeping hold of them once they have grown up and left home. Just the other day when we visited the British Library we were trying to think about books with Moose in them and the only other famous Moose we could think of was rocky and bullwinkle which is not quite the same, so we are really pleased about your Moose book.

Sorry - i'm rambling...feeling very start-struck here even just typing a question for one of my fave author/illustrators!

Here's our question: We would like to know what are your favourite animals in real life and how do you decide which animals are going to feature in your story?

thank you! x

Catiinthehat Sun 09-Sep-12 00:17:23

Hi, you have so many amazing art projects and books. I was wondering, where do you draw your inspiration from for all your different works?

Thanks

We are huge fans and will definitely search out your moose book, especially as we are in Canada.

In your mind, what is the name of The Boy? We name him after DS1, and I wonder if you call him something too?

Eirwen Tue 11-Sep-12 08:42:10

Huge fans in this house. Our question is - What do you currently have in the pipeline and when will it be published ? Whatever it is, we will look forward to it! Thanks for many hours of enjoyment.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 11-Sep-12 13:52:40

DuchessofMalfi

Perhaps there ought to be a childrens' bookclub newsletter we could sign up for then we wouldn't miss out. I always seem to miss these and DS would have loved this.

Sorry you missed out Duchess. The children's books of the month are always announced the first week (usually the Monday) of the month. There's always 24 hours to apply for your free copy.

If you're Oliver Jeffers fans, send in a question to Oliver before the end of the week and your question is chosen and answered, you will win the back catalogue of his books.

DuchessofMalfi Tue 11-Sep-12 17:58:26

Thanks - I'll make a note on our calendar smile And see if we can get a copy from the library.

modernbear Tue 11-Sep-12 18:02:23

I am always amazed by how children (in particular my son) absolutely adore all of Oliver Jeffers' books. The illustrations are very distinctive, you always know a Jeffers' book. At first I was a bit unsure about them, but my son has gradually made me love them as much as he does. How do you know an idea for book/story is going to work or not? Do you test drive it on anybody?

aristocat Thu 13-Sep-12 23:08:29

Another here who adores your books and illustrations.

Was Art your favourite subject at schoool?

chocolateistheenemy Thu 13-Sep-12 23:15:56

Hello Oliver
We're big fans here.
Have you seen the stage production of Lost and Found? We enjoyed it. Very gentle for our timid 3yr old (now 5).
My husband and I are both primary school teachers. He is a headteacher. Do you visit primary schools to talk to children about your books?

Indith Mon 17-Sep-12 10:56:57

I am very confused! A copy of This Moose Belongs to Me just landed on my doorstep! I didn't enter until after the deadline because I didn't read it properly so didn't know it had ended but I assume it must come from the giveaway? Not had any messages or e-mails form MNHQ though confused. Feeling very lucky though especailly since we also got the Florentine and Pig book not long ago!

Indith Mon 17-Sep-12 12:26:49

Anyone else had a surprise from the postie today?

Blatherskite Mon 17-Sep-12 12:31:18

I got a copy this morning too and like Indith, mis-read the comp and entered after the deadline so wasn't expecting anything.

I was so sure I wasn't getting one, I'd been out and bought it.

Indith Mon 17-Sep-12 13:46:22

Stash a copy away for a small child's birthday present!

Dd is home from nursery and enchanted. We have read it and looked at all the pictures. She loves the moose drinking from the lake on the cover and we liked the penguin smile

Blatherskite Mon 17-Sep-12 13:53:38

Good idea smile

countingdown Mon 17-Sep-12 14:24:27

Postman just brought us a copy of This Moose Belongs To Me, really pleased and am looking forward to reading it to my DS later on. It is a miserable day here today, so am looking forward to snuggling up together and reading this. The illustrations are stunning. Thank you very much for brightening up a very dull day!

Ah - not the only one, then. I was a tad confused to find a copy on my doorstep this morning.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 17-Sep-12 16:14:04

Great to hear you've started the receive the free copies. We're sending the questions over to Oliver later today and can no longer take questions but would love to hear your dcs response to This Moose. Do post up your feedback and we'll pass on any comments to Oliver. We'll link to his answers to your questions within the next couple of weeks and announce the winners of his books on this thread.

chocolateistheenemy Mon 17-Sep-12 17:16:19

Thank you! What a lovely surprise. DS started school today and was very nervous but very brave so this was a wonderful treat for him to arrive home to.

Got my copy today, it's great thank you and DS really likes the pictures smile

Mine just arrived - a lovely surprise smile Will be having a look at it with the children when they get home from school/nursery.

DD and I read it tonight - it really is beautiful.

FWIW, DD(5) is very strongly of the opinion that the moose's real name is Marcel (she checked with her cuddly dragon, who agreed).

COCKadoodledooo Tue 18-Sep-12 22:42:32

Thanks so much you lovely MNHQ people! thanks It's a beautiful book and set to be a firm favourite here.

Lovely book thank you very much DD loves it already she likes pointing at the moose in the pictures. Think it will be a favorite as she grows up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now