VBACers support thread

(212 Posts)
Coldest Fri 26-Feb-16 09:22:35

I know there are a multitude of threads on this but was hoping for a thread where is anyone is at the same boat as me.

Had an EMCS with my first at full dilatation and after 12 hours of labour due to fetal distress but I feel that care was really mismanaged and I probably could have b even birth vaginally if I had been allowed off the bed but for reasons which the midwife couldn't justify later I was on ctg and not allowed off the bed. The resulting section was very difficult to recover from but 2 years later I feel fully recovered. Am 25 weeks now.

After all my research I have hired a doula this time and hoping for a VBAC but after the consultant appointment yesterday I am feeling quite wobbly. Feeling like an ELCS would be better. Also I was talking to friends and colleagues who say that they still feel quite tatterted vaginally after y even birth quite a few years ago while feel completely recovered ROM my section. So maybe a section wouldn't be so bad.

Anyway sorry for the long intro but I am sure I will oscillate from VBAC to ELCS throughout this pregnancy so would appreciate to chat with those in a similar situation.

Coldest Fri 26-Feb-16 09:23:38

Apologies for all the typos.

white66 Fri 26-Feb-16 09:57:35

I will join you coldest. I had and EMCS nearly 3 years ago due to fetal distress prior to labour (during induction process) I'm 18 weeks now and my local trust don't allow maternal requests so I am torn between embracing a VBAC and fighting for the next few months to get an ELCS. At the moment I'm trying to embrace the VBAC but that may change tomorrow!

Coldest Fri 26-Feb-16 10:47:21

Hi white66, I got the impression from my consultant that whatever I feel strongest about would be the way they go. She talked about ctg but didn't really push it when she saw my face. If I am on ctg again I would rather go straight to section. I wish there was a guarantee of a good outcome sad

The only thing I am certain of at this time is no induction. Everything else is up in the air.

white66 Fri 26-Feb-16 14:51:27

I have also said no to induction again. I don't get to see a consultant unless I push for a ELCS, my hospital have wireless CTG so can move around and even have waterproof monitoring so I can use a pool if I want- these are the things helping me try and remain VBAC positive! Have you discussed remote CTG with them?

RockCrushesLizard Fri 26-Feb-16 17:38:37

I'm another one who got had an EMCS at full dilation - apparently that makes me a great VBAC candidate, as the chances of success are much higher if your body has laboured before (as opposed to unsuccessful induction etc.)

Similarly, I was monitored, flat in my back etc etc and while it may not have made a difference to the outcome (very stuck baby!) it was not what I wanted.

New hospital this time, who seem much more on message about mobile monitoring etc (which I feel is justified in a VBAC, due to rupture risk), mobility in general and it being my choice.
I don't have to decide yet, as I'll have scans nearer the time to look at scar thickness, placenta position etc, but I feel like it is my choice IYSWIM.
29 weeks now, and it's a waiting game.

RockCrushesLizard Fri 26-Feb-16 17:40:40

Also Like you Coldest, I hated the recovery, but I'm afraid of tearing, birth injuries or another EMCS.
I wish there was a crystal ball to look in so I knew exactly what I was choosing between!

ThornyBird Fri 26-Feb-16 17:45:45

I'm not in a similar situation anymore but I had 3 successful vbacs after an ELCS for breech presentation (so no labour).

First one was on back due to monitoring. 2nd was too quick for monitoring and 3rd I was monitored but was able to move around as I wanted (mobile monitoring?).

I was told that induction was not an option with any of them due to the risk of scar rupture. However this was all a relatively long time ago so things may have changed smile

Coldest Fri 26-Feb-16 23:17:27

White66 I think they have two wireless ctg at this hospital so it is luck of draw who gets them. I am tempted by the pool. I have requested a consultation with the supervisor of midwives to see if I can have intermittent monitoring etc.

RockCrushesLizard what are these scans for scar thickness. No one has mentioned them to me. Is it something that I could request? I have also transferred to a new hospital. Couldn't face old one again.

Thornybird thanks for the positive story. I was told they can use the drip to.induce but it increases risk of uterine rupture. Have refused it for this reason.

rosyvalentine Fri 26-Feb-16 23:49:22

Hi Coldest. Similar to you, I had an EMCS with DS due to foetal distress after a 12 hour labour. Took several weeks to recover. Was planning a VBAC with DD 5 years later but a few weeks before due date, my consultant recommended ELCS due to large size of baby (although she was only 8lbs in the end). The day before I was due to have the ELCS, I went into labour naturally. Labour was incredibly quick (c. 1.5 hours), had to rush to hospital with a police escort and DD was born 10 minutes post arrival. I had no problems and the recovery was so much quicker - I was merrily doing my Christmas shopping 2 days later whereas I could hardly walk for 2 weeks after my Section. I would highly recommend a VB if you can. Good luck.

Coldest Sat 27-Feb-16 00:02:41

Wow rosyvalentine! That sounds amazing smile that would be my best case scenario. I did find it so hard and for months afterwards felt very weak after the section but feel ok now. Thanks for the positive stories

RockCrushesLizard Sat 27-Feb-16 11:30:45

That's a good story Rosy!

The scan thing is because I'm now at a very good teaching hospital (fluke, I just happen to have moved to the area) and have an anterior placenta, so I'm in a study to monitor what it does, what the scar does etc. there is a link between myometrium thinning and scar rupture, so they're basically recording those measurements so they can crunch the numbers later. The benefit for me is that if it does look worryingly thin, I can choose to ELCS rather than risk it.

BurningGubbins Sat 27-Feb-16 11:55:39

I'm in the same boat, only I'm 37 weeks today! The hospital are very clearly pushing me to have a vbac, which I was keen on to begin with but I've become less (and more, depending on the day) happy with as time has gone on. My c-section was also due to fetal distress during induction but prior to established labour so this will be my first real time.
I'm booked in for an elcs on my due date and if things happen naturally before then I'm going to go for it I think, but continuous monitoring is definitely in my future so not sure how well it would go. The hospital tell me I'll be able to move around the bed but I'll still be hooked up so it won't be free rein. My own threshold for moving to a section is very low, not least because my previous recovery was very straightforward.

rosyvalentine Sat 27-Feb-16 12:10:03

I should have mentioned that I also had some stitches due to tearing (with no pain relief due to lack of time), but actually had no pain at the time or afterwards. By comparison, when I came home after the Section, I was taking a lot of painkillers for at least a week.

rosyvalentine Sat 27-Feb-16 12:10:23

I should have mentioned that I also had some stitches due to tearing (with no pain relief due to lack of time), but actually had no pain at the time or afterwards. By comparison, when I came home after the Section, I was taking a lot of painkillers for at least a week.

rosyvalentine Sat 27-Feb-16 12:11:59

I should have mentioned that I also had some stitches due to tearing (with no pain relief due to lack of time), but actually had no pain at the time or afterwards. By comparison, when I came home after the Section, I was taking a lot of painkillers for at least a week.

Coldest Sat 27-Feb-16 13:46:15

37 weeks! BurningGubbins not long to go! I also swing wildly between naive optimism and then downright depression thinking how I could get pregnant again.

verytiredmummy1 Sun 28-Feb-16 07:11:33

I had an EMCS after a long labour with DD getting stuck in the birth canal. I change my mind on a daily basis regarding whether I want a vbac or cs. I will refuse induction but at the moment think I'm going for a vbac although will see what consultant says at next appointment xx

OhShutUpThomas Sun 28-Feb-16 07:20:21

I had an EMCS nearly 4 years ago, then a failed VBAC EMCS nearly 2 years ago. I'm now 15 weeks with number 3. It will be 3 sections in 4 years which isn't ideal, but I don't think I can try a VBA2C. I think I need to take the hint from my body!

HOWEVER I did extensive research into water VBACs for number 2.
Most hospitals have telemetric (wireless and waterproof) monitoring, but for some reason they don't shout about it so you will need to ask.

When I first saw consultant for number 2, he was very dismissive of VBAC and tried to scare me into ELCS basically.
I insisted on seeing another, female, consultant who was brilliant and very encouraging.
I then arranged to meet with the Supervisor of Midwives at my hospital and we spent an hour writing a detailed birth plan and going over the last EMCS. She had to sign it all off, but basically okayed me for water birth, with contingency plans for all eventualities.
She also said that many 'old school' midwives would not be comfortable with it, and to remind labour ward of my intentions when I rang up to come in so that they would give me a suitable midwife.

It ended in failed induction and another EMCS in the end though, but at least I tried!

mrsmugoo Sun 28-Feb-16 09:37:09

Hi, I'm 25 weeks with a 2 year old that was born by ELCS as he was a stubborn breech that was breech the entire time and a failed ECV.

I'm hoping for a VBAC this time purely because I'm hoping the breech position was a one off fluke and I would rather not have to deal with another wound with a heavy, energetic toddler to look after!

My hospital have already said I can't use the MLU and they will do continuous monitoring with telemetry so I can be mobile. I want to try to manage without an epidural to do everything I can to avoid ending up with another section.

It's just a waiting game now for me to see what this baby's position is - all my movements are at the bottom so even though I know it's too early to tell, I have a bad feeling it will go the same way.

BurningGubbins Sun 28-Feb-16 10:18:52

I know Coldest, could be any day now! Still can't quite believe we're having another and having been a bit preoccupied about the delivery we've not really focused on the looking after a baby thing that comes after...

FraterculaArctica Sun 28-Feb-16 10:25:08

Watching with interest - early days here as I'm only 11 weeks with DC2. DC1 was crash section as his heart rate dropped during labour, but I think he was also a bad presentation. My current feeling is I'd like to go for VBAC but will see how things develop. Haven't even had a booking in appointment yet!

BaskingTrout Sun 28-Feb-16 13:38:39

i'm another one in the same boat. I'm only 16 weeks now, DD was born by EMCS after 2 day labour, full dilation, 2 hours pushing, failed ventouse, very stuck baby.
I haven't met the consultant yet, but am very keen to go for a VBAC. obviously I will go along with medical advice, but I will also push for a VBAC if at all possible. i will be watching this thread with interest to get some advice for what i should ask at my appointment!

RockCrushesLizard Sun 28-Feb-16 16:14:58

That's very similar to my experience Basking, and they seem to think that's a good thing as regards VBAC (though absolutely not a good experience to have had!)

cudbywestrangers Sun 28-Feb-16 17:03:22

I'm now 3 weeks post vbac for ds2. Ds1 was emcs for undiagnosed breech- i was 7cm on arrival so presumably further on by the time he was delivered although it all got quite urgent due to distress.

I actually didn't find the labour too bad so was fairly confident that i would manage a vbac if ds2 was the right way round and preferred to avoid the recovery of elcs. I had a scan at 37 weeks to confirm position and was told the only form of induction they would offer is sweep and breaking waters. Ds2 arrived on due date, again labour fairly quick and manageable but ended up with ventouse due to distress. I did have wired ctg so limited mobility, and the distress and difficulty getting a trace meant i did get stuck on my back which was a shame but from what they said that isn't standard and as i was7cm on arrival it wasn't for long.

The recovery this time has been much quicker despite losing quite a bit of blood. Although the episiotomy was sore i have been fine to drive and lift so was back to normal much quicker than last time. For me the vbac was definitely the right choice but i can totally see the appeal of elcs!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now