anyone had complications due to a waterbirth?

(20 Posts)
ditsydoll Thu 21-Feb-13 08:45:41

I'm almost certain I want a water birth although there are a few worries I still have. Not seeing my midwife for two weeks so thought I'd call upon the wisdom of the mn ladies..

What happens if the chord is wrapped tightly around baby's neck?

What happens if the baby somehow is touched and the dive instinct fails?

Do I get out to deliver the placenta? And can I still have the injection to bring the placenta sooner?

I think that's all for now lol

Pascha Thu 21-Feb-13 08:51:04

Can't answer for the first two but my placenta wasn't hurrying after 20 minutes so they got me out and gave the injection on the sofa which was fine by me.

ditsydoll Thu 21-Feb-13 08:55:11

Were you glad you had a waterbirth? This is my second baby and my first was just in a hospital bed. I have had really bad phobias about birth this time and my mw has suggested a waterbirth, she thinks it will give me something to look forward to rather than worry about. I'm not so sure.

kelda Thu 21-Feb-13 09:00:20

My dd2 was born at home in the pool. The cord was wrapped twice around her neck. The midwife just slipped it off. The baby was back to back and very hard to get out.

Ds was also born at home in the pool, the cord wrapped once around his neck. Again, the midwife just slipped it off. Placenta was delivered in the pool, as I didn't get out fast enough. I lost a lot of blood so the midwives had to give me an injection to stop the bleeding.

About a third of babies are born with the cord around their neck, it's normal, and not always dangerous.

Having said that, having a water birth is your choice, and not for everyone.

Floweryhat Thu 21-Feb-13 09:02:47

One of my three water babies had cord twice round neck. I simply unwrapped it and lifted her to the surface where she took her first breath smile. Have a look on youtube. There are lots of videos of babies being handled a lot under water and brought up v slowly, they don't seem to breathe or drown. Unless a baby is in poor shape (in which case me would be getting you out of the pool anyway) I'm not sure how much evidence there is of a risk.

It's not the dive instinct you're relying on btw, it's that the reflex to take the first breath is triggered by air on their face. You don't re submerge them!

Floweryhat Thu 21-Feb-13 09:04:37

I have got out to do the placenta with all 3 -didn't want to hang around in the pool, as just didn't feel like it. I didn't have the injection, but could have done.

Pascha Thu 21-Feb-13 09:07:21

Oh yes. This was DC2 for me as well, DC1 was born in hospital on my back etc etc.. I had DC2 at home this time, though ended up in hospital overnight due to some bleeding issues.

The water was a great pain reliever, I felt much more in control, didn't anything other than some gas & air as the pushing phase was beginning, it seemed much smoother all round. Much more comfortable, the water sort of cushions you and relaxes you in between contractions. You can get in and out as it suits you until the pushing part.

I think your midwife is probably right, if you look forward to it and plan for it and stay in control of it you might feel better all round.

DoNotDisturb Thu 21-Feb-13 09:09:02

I've gad two water births and both were ace. No complications. To be fair the baby is underwater a matter of seconds before you're hugging them.

I was never allowed to deliver the placenta in the pool as apparently they can't assess the blood loss and there's a small risk re water going back up (never believed that one). But as a previous poster said after ten mins of snuggling in the (now manky) water, I was ready to get out the pool. The process of climbing out often brought on my placenta.

twolittlebundles Thu 21-Feb-13 09:11:49

I have had two waterbirths, second had cord around her neck, not an issue and midwives just slipped it off. The midwife will lift baby out of the water immediately if the dive instinct fails.
You can deliver placenta in or out of the water- I've done both and found it easier in the water. Not sure about injection sorry.
Good luck with whatever you choose!

MammaCici Thu 21-Feb-13 09:19:14

Water births are no longer allowed here in Sweden because of a couple of tragedies (infant drownings) a few years ago. I looked into it as an option with my first birth but was told it was a no no so I didn't push for it. The chances of something going wrong are very slim, however it can happen apparently. Before these accidents, water births were popular here. I don't mean to scare you, I just suggest you look into the associated risks to the baby.
As an alternative I found a birth centre where I could be in a bath for much of my labour. Being in warm water does really help mum.

xigris Thu 21-Feb-13 09:28:56

Morning! DS2 and DS3 were both home water births. No complications with either although DS3 was totally tangled up in his cord (but not round his neck). My fab MW and I just detangled him and that was that! I didn't deliver either placenta in the water as I'd opted for a totally physiological third stage with DS2 and it took AGES, with DS3 (7 weeks ago) my MW said that the NICE guidelines have changed and it's no longer recommended to deliver the placenta in the water because of the small risk of an amniotic embolism. I loved my two water births! The pain relief is great and I found I could move about so much more easily than on dry land. Both births were quick and easy - partly, I believe, because I felt safe and secure in the pool, a bit like a nest, maybe?! If I have anymore
babies then I'll definitely want another water birth! There's a great book by Janet Balaskas called The Waterbirth Book. I really rated it. Good luck! smile

I had a horrid first birth in hospital with DD1 and opted for water birth in lovely birth centre for DD2 and it was really fantastic. It's amazing how different your birth experiences can be, so hopefully you'll find that you can have a great experience this time around. I got out of the pool for placenta delivery and had the injection as there was no sign of natural delivery after 30 mins! Good luck.

dinkystinky Thu 21-Feb-13 09:45:21

To answer your questions:

- DS2 had cord wrapped round his neck - the midwives left him and I pushed his body out in the next contraction and he was fine.

- midwives are very good at keeping hands off. If the baby is touched you will simply have to stand in an assisted squat so you and baby are out of the water.

- I came out of the water to deliver the placenta for same reasons as xigris.

It was a lovely birth for ds2 - he was super alert and calm.

madamecake Thu 21-Feb-13 09:53:31

Yes, we had complications with a water birth, but before I go into the details I will say what happened is extremely rare! And I would still recommend waterbirths.

The actual labour in the pool was fine, felt very relaxed, but when DD came out under the water her dive instinct failed and she inhaled water (started to drown), was grabbed by the midwife and cord cut immediately so she could be resuscitated, she then spent the next 3 days on oxygen and a further week being monitored in intensive care. Luckily she is completely fine now.

As it mentioned earlier, it is extremely rare, but can happen. I'm now pregnant again and plan to labour in the pool, but get out for the pushing stage.

kelda Thu 21-Feb-13 17:05:17

madamecake - did they explain why that might have happened? My babies were brought up out of the water immediately when they were born, I don't think they were in the water long enough to take their first breath.

madamecake Thu 21-Feb-13 18:03:34

Hi kelda, we weren't able to get any answers. We initially thought that perhaps DD had been touched when coming out, and this could have shocked her into inhaling, but the midwives said this didn't happen.
The consultants didn't know why either. We were monitored well throughout the labour and there was no problem with the cord or placenta to affect dd's oxygen.
To be honest, as we had a positive outcome neither DH or I pushed any further to find out exactly why.

kelda Thu 21-Feb-13 19:08:16

It may seen an obvious temperature, but presumably the water temperature was correct?

Glad she's fine now, but that's every parent's worst nightmare when considering a water birth.

Dogsmom Thu 21-Feb-13 20:33:56

I haven't had one so can't comment from experience but at my antenatal midwife talk yesterday she covered water births and said that only 50% end up actually being born in the water and that when you come to the crowning part when you might tear they can't see to tell you to stop pushing while the skin stretches and so you just have to trust your instincts and not push.

Labouring in a pool is meant to be great though.

I had DC2 in a birthing pool at hospital. Well, his head was born in the pool. Got shoulder dystocia so his body was stuck, the midwife raised the alarm and suddenly there were 4 people in lifting me out of the pool, I didn't know what was going on, the midwife just said out of the pool now! I laid on the couch and he came right out and was fine. He was big, though, over 11 lbs. I much preferred labouring in the pool, it was very soothing and I only had a tiny tear.

Ushy Wed 27-Feb-13 13:28:37

Perhaps what I am about to say is irrelevant but I have given birth on my back (horrific) and vertical (100% fine). What is the difference between waterbirth and normal hospital birth? Usually being upright or being on your back.

Personally, I wanted an epidural and didn't want to flail around in the nude so if you have reservations about waterbirth, why not consider upright birth on dry land?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now