Can I be forced into having a VBAC? Writing appeal letter now, need advice please...(30 Posts)
I had an EMCS with dc1 after failure to progress and fetal distress. It was v traumatic and I suffered from PTSD. I was told by a midwife directly afterwards that if I wanted more children I would be allowed an ELCS.
However, after deciding that I'm absolutely certain that an ELCS is the way for me, at my last meeting with a consultant I was told that they'd decided that I won't be booked in for a section. I've been told to appeal if I don't agree with this.
I'm absolutely terrified. I'm already 31 weeks so panicking about time...
I'm writing my appeal letter now, but wondered if anybody had experienced this and successfully appealed and got their ELCS??
I didn't realise they could force you into a vbac?
I apologise for not reading all posts in full but I felt I had to post.
An ELCS is safer than an EMCS in every single case, always.
An ELCS is the safest mode of birth for the baby and marginally more risky for the mother than a straightforward VB, but the risk of an EMCS is very much higher for both.
If your community midwife is sympathetic or you can get your GP to get his arse in gear, simply be asked to be referred somewhere else.
You should not have to fight on this.
This is about money and C-section rates (the targets for which have been withdrawn by the World Health Organisation as outdated and irrelevant) and not what is best for you.
Contact the Birth Trauma Association, they are extremely experienced and very knowledgable. I am sure they will help with the appeal.
Get the NICE guidance and quote it, get a statement from your counsellor and your GP in support and your midwife.
This should make them back down because the worst case scenario for them and for you, is that they insist on a VBAC against your express and documented wishes and then something goes wrong. The hospital would be absolutely vilified in the courts and I should think the consultant would have a case to answer to the GMC as well.
This drives me mad. Women are supposed to have choice in labour and childbirth.
I had this in slightly reverse fashion. I had an emcs with ds1 for ftp after an induction. I then conceived the dts and was informed I had to have an elcs. I was quite keen on vbac but eventually got persuaded that elcs would be safer, better recovery than emcs etc. Then at 28 weeks after new NHS guidelines I was told I would be having a vbac and they would induce me. This was not in my game plan at all.Poi
In the end I waited 2 hours saw the consultant talked through pros and cons and got him to book me an elcs. I saw he had written down VE and ROM and then ELCS on my notes - (vaginal exam and rupture of membranes ie breaking water) but intended to simply not consent to this on the day. Also as I have type 1 diabetes I was going to narrow them down to a specific time because of needing to calculate insulin etc.
However, the dts came at 33+4 before my next appointment and in the end by successful vbac. They offered me the option of labouring or immediate cs when I was in labour.
Other points that you may want to raise in your appeal are that it is not beneficial to your recovery to have to labour for 8 hours as well as the stress it puts on the scar. Also ask them for success rates on ftp labours in that hospial as these tend to be lower than other types.
Good luck and I hope you get what you need.
"An ELCS is the safest mode of birth for the baby and marginally more risky for the mother than a straightforward VB"
Major surgery is only 'marginally more risky' for women and less risky for babies than a successfully completed, uncomplicated vaginal birth?
I assume you mean for VBAC only?
Could I ask any of you who have mentioned evidence supporting ELCS rather than VBAC for the hard facts? I am going to be asking for ELCS after a traumatic birth the first time around. If you wouldn't mind letting me know where you sourced the evidence from I'd like to use it to support my case! I am sure a number of people would benefit if you are willing to share the info...
I have this issue in reverse too - I want to have a natural birth but hospital are pushing for all kinds of medical interventions including induction because it is 'policy' and they admit there is no medical reason (I had a previous stillbirth that has no bearing on my current pregnant). Even with evidence in my favour in terms of safety to me and baby of a natural birth, consultant is adamant about his views even though they are not based on medical indications. Luckily with a natural birth, I can just stay away from hospital and have a homebirth with extremely supportive independent midwives. I feel for anyone who has to struggle to get the birth that they need or know is best for them and their little one. Good luck!
Join the discussion
Please login first.