If you have previously recommended this thread, you should see a tick / check mark on the recommend button. Click the tick to undo the recommendation (the tick may appear to change to a cross as you do this.) If you added a comment with your recommendation, you will need to delete that from your facebook wall separately.
Currently writing my birth plan and would like to wait until the cord stops pulsing before it is clamped, but don't know what the pros and cons of the injection are. This is my 5th child (if that makes any differrence) and I will be having it in hosptial.
The injection can make you queasy or vomit, without it you can haemorrhage. I discussed it with my mw and we agreed that she would prepare the injection and if it was taking too long, she would give it to me. Also if you have the injection there is a risk of retained placenta and a trip to theatre.
The national policy on this is on the brink of changing! As in, delayed chord clamping will become the norm and part of normal protocol in birth but NICE are not publishing the guildlines until 2014. (currently there is a petition to get them to implement it sooner)
Here's a good article you might like: http://www.sarahbuckley.com/leaving-well-alone-a-natural-approach-to-the-third-stage-of-labour
I had the injection with my 2 and I just found out it could be related to the horrid afterpains(much much worst then labour)so will ask not to have it this time.thinking now if may be worth telling them to prepare it anyway just in case placenta takes too long?
I wanted a natural 3rd stage with my first but waited for nearly 2 hours for the placenta and in the end I opted for the injection as my midwife was worried it might ended up being retained - had the injection 2 mins later placenta - would have the injection again
Thanks everyone. I have decided to wait until the cord stops pulsating before it is cut, but have the injection after this to pass the placenta. This is my 5th child and I know you are more likely to bleed heavily, the more children you have. I bled pretty badly with my 4th, so might not even be able to wait that long. Have filled Dh in on all the reasons I want it done this way, so he knows I agree to the injection earlier if the midwife feels it necessary to help control any possible heavy bleed.