A list of ways to kick start labour. Old wives' tales, scientific facts and the ridiculous welcome.

(65 Posts)
TimeyWimeyStuff Thu 10-Jan-13 19:31:28

Please add anything you've heard of or believe works. I have:

Walking
Sex
Fresh pineapple
Laxatives shock

There must be more? smile

justdonna Mon 17-Mar-14 19:11:39

cod liver oil and orange is disgusting and did not work, baby arrived 2 weeks later

inadreamworld Sun 20-Jan-13 20:34:24

DD2 arrived yesterday morning after a short labour of only around 4 hrs - only just got to hospital in time - I think it was the membrane sweep that did it.

TimeyWimeyStuff Sun 20-Jan-13 08:10:59

How's it going InADreamWorld ?

beckslovestimmy Thu 17-Jan-13 19:08:57

Well...... gave birth at 38 + 1 following all day walking around town. Went to bed at 10pm had sex and contractions started straight after, went on all night but were tailing off in the morning, got DH to take me in at 6.30 only 2cm dilated, 4 hours later only 3 cm dilated. Waters went at 15.15 baby girl in my arms at 16.04. (first baby). Who knows if it was the sex, walking, or was going to happen anyway?????

VariousBartimaeus Thu 17-Jan-13 15:41:50

I gave birth at 38+5 which was lovely as not premature but didn't get bored waiting for DS to appear! (and it was a nice surprise)

I'm convinced it's because we lived on the 6th floor without a lift, so walking up the stairs gave me loads of contractions (and made me sick in the first 5 months angry).

Was a lot of effort though just for an "early" birth grin

5madthings Thu 17-Jan-13 15:08:08

Evening primrose oil capsules up your fanjo, po one in before bed and it will dissolve overnight, wear a pad tho!

Nipple stimulation, sex and make sure baby ius in a good position.

TimeyWimeyStuff Thu 17-Jan-13 15:01:17

A show is good in my eyes. it was my first sign of labour and DD was born the next day. You've got time to beat the system! smile

inadreamworld Thu 17-Jan-13 13:42:21

Thanks TimeyWimey the sweep hasn't worked yet though had mild period pains last night and a show (though don't think that really indicates much). Am doubtful if anything will happen before induction date on Monday but you never know. Hope you didn't make yourself ill on pineapples!

maxbear Wed 16-Jan-13 21:14:27

I did a lot of nipple stimulation after sex for two nights and had a lot of contractions over night but didn't go in to labour, on the third night after sex I did some more nipple stim and started contracting properly. Labour took longer than my other two (probably because at 39 weeks my body was a bit surprised to find itself in labour) but it was better than staying pregnant, and it meant that the baby did not get to be as big as his brother had been. Worked for me, but I did have sex every night and I did do a lot of nipple stimulation. I was around term with my other two having done the sex thing but not bothered as much with the nipple stimulation.

TimeyWimeyStuff Wed 16-Jan-13 19:28:31

And apparently you need about 8 of them to do any use! (Just got one in my shopping delivery. Think it will be safe to eat...) wink

Wuxiapian Wed 16-Jan-13 18:43:23

I'm 40.3 today and been advised that pineapples are the way to go, but could I find any ripe ones in the shops?!

TimeyWimeyStuff Wed 16-Jan-13 16:58:22

Really hope it has a delayed effect, Dream and things get going asp. We've just pretty much signed a deal to move house before my EDD. That should do the trick wink

inadreamworld Wed 16-Jan-13 13:21:26

rach the time to start pushing it is when like me you are 41 weeks, the sweep this morning seems to have done nothing and you would rather not have another induction on the drip!!! Agggh! But good luck to you anyway, sounds as if you won't have long to wait.

TimeyWimeyStuff Wed 16-Jan-13 07:41:41

To be honest, I still wouldn't be pushing it, Rach. DD was born at 36+1 and while her lungs were fine, she still had to be in an incubator for 24 hours, then had feeding issues for the first six months. I'm only a few days ahead of you, so I know the temptation to push it, but I'm saving any ideas up for 37 weeks. Good luck when the time comes!

rachybaby02 Tue 15-Jan-13 23:22:55

I've been told by my mates to scrub kitchen floor on all fours to get my contractions going stronger as baby is already engaged and I'm in slow labour so come home till pains more frequent also too Hoover stairs (35+1) midwife ain't stopped contractions cos already had steroids few week bk to mature his lungs x

orangetickle Tue 15-Jan-13 19:01:28

Sex. Lots of sex.

And greasy food. I went to Burger King on my due date (long story but a long-standing joke between DH and I: I never ever eat junk food and he insisted I should 'make the most' of being pregnant and eat some hmm), and my water broke three hours later, despite having zero signs beforehand (never noticed a show etc). Still had to be induced since my contractions didn't start properly, but at least it started the clock ticking!!

TheOldestCat Tue 15-Jan-13 18:44:57

I was eight days overdue with DC2, in danger of losing my chance at a homebirth and my cervix was, according to the midwife 'unfavourable'.

I trudged home, sat on my gym ball thing that evening and watched 'one born every minute' for hours until I fell into bed.

Woke up the next morning to a show and weak contractions - DS was born at 11:30 that night.

LadyIsabellaWrotham Tue 15-Jan-13 18:44:30

Orgasms.
Really really wanting to hold on for one more day

ashiramartin Tue 15-Jan-13 18:39:36

A good laugh set off my labour

FreckledLeopard Tue 15-Jan-13 14:16:41

Orgasms and nipple-twiddling. I twiddled nipples twice a day, every day, for twenty minutes at a time, in the week leading up to my due date. I woke up on my due date in labour. DD born the next day.

newyearsday Tue 15-Jan-13 14:08:20

Anything which gets your oxytocin hormone flowing: relaxing in a dark room, sex, orgasms, cuddling partner/children/newborn babies, kissing, watching a feel-good film, etc.

Timey, the irritable uterus has got to be one of the most, well, irritable things I've ever experienced. Unfortunately, I'm not much further forward. Really thought something was happening last night, but, no - no such luck!

It's really starting to get me down as I'm keeping so unwell, but know from previous experience, that virtually as soon as that baby's on the outside, it's almost like flicking a switch and I'm on the road to being A OK!!

Anyhow, I tried a couple of acupressure points that I watched a tutorial on on YouTube but they were bloody sore! It's hard to do it to yourself, so ill try to convince dh to try tonight. And I can't bear to touch my nipples either blush, just makes me cringe! (Yes, I'm weird). But i suppose if desperation calls, I might have to.

Lin1hypno Mon 14-Jan-13 21:17:26

Reflexology, acupuncture or hypnotherapy.

Emsyboo Mon 14-Jan-13 20:15:16

I tried
Hot curries
Pineapple
Sex
Stimulating nipples

I think if you are close to labour it can sometimes help but everyone is different I ended up being induced anyway lol

MIL cooked a curry 4 days after DS was born couldn't face it after all the curries I'd had trying to get things started still can't face pineapple lol

inadreamworld Mon 14-Jan-13 17:49:27

Am having a sweep on Weds when I will be 41 weeks - hope that works!! The midwife says she won't do it if my cervix not favourable and as this is my 2nd baby it is more likely that the cervix is a bit open.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now