A list of ways to kick start labour. Old wives' tales, scientific facts and the ridiculous welcome.

(65 Posts)
TimeyWimeyStuff Thu 10-Jan-13 19:31:28

Please add anything you've heard of or believe works. I have:

Walking
Sex
Fresh pineapple
Laxatives shock

There must be more? smile

So, the evening primrose oil capsules - what do they do? And (stupid question) do they dissolve up the ahem fanjo? grin

Congrats btw!

adagio Mon 14-Jan-13 03:55:47

Allegedly they help soften your cervix to bring things along, and are also prostglandin (sp?) like.

They dissolve up there, but I suggest putting in at night to increase the probability of some of it staying in roughly the right place.

I bought the cheapest possible ones in boots (99p I think) then re read the forum and discovered it was meant to be mega dose ones so shoved two in at a time. No idea if it actually helped to be honest! Clary sage and lavender bath every morning too (TMI felt the need for additional bathing what with all the sex and oily capsules!)

I had what I thought was period pain cramps it seemed pretty much constantly for about a week, and on the day I woke up early (6am), had my usual hot bath and then a really bad tummy, noted the cramps getting worse and then at about 8am clocked they might actually be coming and going … ahh these could be contractions … fished hubby out of bed (he was off work) and lobbed him in the shower and timed a few and realised they might in fact be every 3 or 4 minutes for 50 seconds or so - yikes.

ProtegeMoi Mon 14-Jan-13 04:10:34

I have been induced 3 times for being overdue and have tried every thing listed on this thread. Nothing at all worked for me.

My favorite was trampolining, you can only begin to imagine how funny that looks at 2 weeks overdue!

I don't have a bath sad. I've been cramping and uncomfy for a week or so now but have been told I've had an irritable uterus from 28 weeks or so so I don't suppose it means much.

Well I've just got dh to bring in evening primrose oil capsules on way home from work (I'm in Aus) and necked two, lol. Unfortunately my 7yr old overheard me telling dh that they need to go in both ends blush, so won't stop sniggering that mummy's going to stick tablets up her bottom!!

Oh well, I'm at karate class now so fingers crossed!! :-)

I think if I went on a trampoline it might just kill me!!

MrsHoarder Mon 14-Jan-13 06:51:57

Serotonin drip grin

I suggest you stop trying to start labour and get ask the jobs done/read a good book whilst you can.

TimeyWimeyStuff Mon 14-Jan-13 08:13:21

fair point, but that all wears thin when you've already been signed off for weeks and have an older child to entertain. As i said upthread, I am just trying to have an interesting discussion about some of the things people think work. smile

melliebobs Mon 14-Jan-13 08:15:18

The ONLY thing that worked was 'threat of induction'

17 days late. Tried everything. Induction appointment for 10:30am. Went into labour at 2am waters broke at 11am in assessment bay grin 2 fingers to that

TimeyWimeyStuff Mon 14-Jan-13 08:17:00

blonde, i hope karate does the trick! my irritable ute became apparent at 29 weeks. Wears a bit thin, doesn't it, especially when you can't use it to get things going when you hit full term. i'm eyeing DD's snow covered trampoline with interest...wink

BikeRunSki Mon 14-Jan-13 08:19:54

My pg yoga teacher swore by massaging the undersides of your toes. Both my babies came a few days before edd, so I am afraid I can't say I have.ever tried.

FadBook Mon 14-Jan-13 08:38:10

Acupuncture - I'm surprised no one has mentioned this already.

There are pressure points for you to bear down and a good acupuncturist will ensure that your points all direct blood to your cevix to induce labour, as well as de stressing you and making you relax.

I'm completely biased as I had acupuncture 41+1 and hard labour started 12 hours later grin dd arriving within 20 hours.

I also had acupuncture before and after IVF transfer and it worked! Could be flook but I'm a big fan as I now have dd asleep in my arms so I have to be a believer!! grin

digerd Mon 14-Jan-13 08:51:24

Due date, and while sitting I could put a plate on top of bump to eat off.
Decided I'd had enough and gently pushed the bump from the top. My waters broke and soaked the arm chair. Don't know if it made baby turn round onto back, but 36 hours later she emerged face upwards. Perhaps I should not have done it.

NAR4 Mon 14-Jan-13 09:49:58

Stimulating nipples is also meant to help. Found this suggestion on the internet last time I was overdue. My waters broke but labour didn't get going properly, so ended up on a drip to induce. Previous three were all induced as well.

I will be trying most of the suggestions this time round, but am not expecting any of them to work really, just something to help tick off the days until induction really. Tend to agree with Flisspaps. If anything really worked your midwife would advise you to do it after 40 wks rather than have to induce you in hospital.

LeBFG Mon 14-Jan-13 15:06:56

Yes, stimulating nipples releases oxytocin that sets off contractions (there's even such a thing as a 'nipple stimulation test' whatever that is). So you could get someone else's baby to bf you?!! grin. Or have lots of orgasms - they release lots of oxytocin too.

TimeyWimeyStuff Mon 14-Jan-13 15:41:05

Hmm... I wonder if using the breast pump works the same way? I have been leaking loads of cloudy colostrum so could even have some "output".

inadreamworld Mon 14-Jan-13 17:49:27

Am having a sweep on Weds when I will be 41 weeks - hope that works!! The midwife says she won't do it if my cervix not favourable and as this is my 2nd baby it is more likely that the cervix is a bit open.

Emsyboo Mon 14-Jan-13 20:15:16

I tried
Hot curries
Pineapple
Sex
Stimulating nipples

I think if you are close to labour it can sometimes help but everyone is different I ended up being induced anyway lol

MIL cooked a curry 4 days after DS was born couldn't face it after all the curries I'd had trying to get things started still can't face pineapple lol

Lin1hypno Mon 14-Jan-13 21:17:26

Reflexology, acupuncture or hypnotherapy.

Timey, the irritable uterus has got to be one of the most, well, irritable things I've ever experienced. Unfortunately, I'm not much further forward. Really thought something was happening last night, but, no - no such luck!

It's really starting to get me down as I'm keeping so unwell, but know from previous experience, that virtually as soon as that baby's on the outside, it's almost like flicking a switch and I'm on the road to being A OK!!

Anyhow, I tried a couple of acupressure points that I watched a tutorial on on YouTube but they were bloody sore! It's hard to do it to yourself, so ill try to convince dh to try tonight. And I can't bear to touch my nipples either blush, just makes me cringe! (Yes, I'm weird). But i suppose if desperation calls, I might have to.

newyearsday Tue 15-Jan-13 14:08:20

Anything which gets your oxytocin hormone flowing: relaxing in a dark room, sex, orgasms, cuddling partner/children/newborn babies, kissing, watching a feel-good film, etc.

FreckledLeopard Tue 15-Jan-13 14:16:41

Orgasms and nipple-twiddling. I twiddled nipples twice a day, every day, for twenty minutes at a time, in the week leading up to my due date. I woke up on my due date in labour. DD born the next day.

ashiramartin Tue 15-Jan-13 18:39:36

A good laugh set off my labour

LadyIsabellaWrotham Tue 15-Jan-13 18:44:30

Orgasms.
Really really wanting to hold on for one more day

TheOldestCat Tue 15-Jan-13 18:44:57

I was eight days overdue with DC2, in danger of losing my chance at a homebirth and my cervix was, according to the midwife 'unfavourable'.

I trudged home, sat on my gym ball thing that evening and watched 'one born every minute' for hours until I fell into bed.

Woke up the next morning to a show and weak contractions - DS was born at 11:30 that night.

orangetickle Tue 15-Jan-13 19:01:28

Sex. Lots of sex.

And greasy food. I went to Burger King on my due date (long story but a long-standing joke between DH and I: I never ever eat junk food and he insisted I should 'make the most' of being pregnant and eat some hmm), and my water broke three hours later, despite having zero signs beforehand (never noticed a show etc). Still had to be induced since my contractions didn't start properly, but at least it started the clock ticking!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now