What did you wear in hospital after the baby was born? I need links please - people have me v worried about this:-(

(103 Posts)
Pinkflipflop Sun 16-Dec-12 18:50:56

I can't find black maternity pyjamas! A friend who gave birth said you basically throw out your pyjamas after you wear them as I will be leaking blood so badly. This really makes me feel uncomfortable: number 1, I can't really afford to buy 5/6 pairs of pyjamas to just bin after 1 wear and number 2, will I really leak blood everywhere I go? Really? Do maternity pads not stop this?

Anyone who has given birth recently, if you could tell or show me what you wore immediately afterwards I would be really grateful!

havingastress Mon 24-Dec-12 23:02:39

PJ's bottoms from Asda - disney ones, flannelette kind of material, black. Cheap. Comfy. Bought size 14, normally a 10.

Black asda dressing gown. Same, Cheap.

You really need TENA LADY NIGHT PADS. Seriously. They are the business. I had a generous episiotomy (in the words of the MW who popped round to check me the following day!) and they really helped with both the bleeding and the pain. They are enormous though!

You only really leak big time when you first stand up after giving birth to go for a shower. Luckily my delivery room had its own shower. Literally did look as though murder had taken place in there! I never got to find out the joys of a shared bathroom, as didn't end up on a ward for recovery, but apparently they are pretty grim. I suggest flipflops!!

Flisspaps Mon 24-Dec-12 22:54:44

I had my normal black pyjamas. I didn't notice any leaking, and I had a PPH with both babies.

I went for the black Primark knickers (5 pairs for £2.50) and wore them even when I had a catheter in.

Melody3boys Mon 24-Dec-12 22:37:45

Similar clothing to stuff mentioned but I've always found Always sanitary towels far better than proper maternity pads.

Highlander Mon 24-Dec-12 13:04:08

T shirt and my running shorts. Didn't leak.

KelleStarOfWonder Sun 23-Dec-12 21:01:01

I just wore my maternity joggers, black next ones. Little bit of leaking but it came out in the wash [I assume, no colour changes]. I wore a big v neck nightie that I could pull my boobies up and through for feeding. It was calf length, was a pastel lemon colour, had a little bit of leakage but it also washed out fine and used it for feeding afterwards.

Big knicks were a life saver, no matter the colour, m&s were stretchy and soft. primark and asda didn't have enough stretch for comfort, I still have the half empty packets in the cupboard.

A dressing gown is good for a stay of a night or more, you can slip it on over your nightie when you need the loo, covers a multitude of sins. I stuck it in the wash once home, it was fine.

confuddledDOTcom Sat 22-Dec-12 02:30:46

my baby is 12 hours. I'm on my 4th hospital gown and my dressing gown needs to be washed. I kept my pj top that I wore to deliver in until they cleared me for a shower. also my 4th pair of pants. stick ti hospital gowns as long as you can!

oh and after birth, stand up slowly for the first few days or your room will turn into a blood bath blush

BikeRunSki Fri 21-Dec-12 08:37:11

Maternity nighty/PJs and Crocs. I wasn't really that fussed.

Weissdorn Thu 20-Dec-12 19:40:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

whatsoever Thu 20-Dec-12 17:34:36

I had the exact same worry before I had my DS but it was totally manageable. I got a couple of pairs of Primark thick flannel PJs in a size up, with the bonus of being button tops for breastfeeding. The gown I had on for the birth was covered in blood and birth gunk but after the first shower when I first put on a maternity pad, knickers and PJs, I didn't leak and nothing needed chucking out. I got supermarket full briefs a size up and doubled up the maternity pads (more for cushioning as I had an episiotomy than for absorbency).

I know some people bleed more but after the first 12 or 18 hours, it really was just a very heavy period for me. Oh and I got a black cotton dressing gown for £7 from asda as a fail safe to chuck on if I had visitors and I had leaked.

RarelyUnreasonable Thu 20-Dec-12 07:27:05

I stayed in hospital gowns for a bit (c-section).
Big knickers (5 for £2.50 in primark), primark nighties (like big t-shirts with buttons for easier feeding).
Black jogging bottoms.

Although w maternity pads, you'll be ok. I had to bin a few pairs of knickers, but pjs all survived.

squidkid Thu 20-Dec-12 07:21:34

I bought some navy pj bottoms a size up from primark for about £5, I still wear them
And one pack of primark knickers about 2 sizes up - they ended up being far too big and I didn't really use them after the first week
I think I leaked just the once, didn't have to bin anything
I think the amount of lochia varies greatly though - other than the first day mine was about as heavy as a period

Flatasawitchestit Thu 20-Dec-12 04:07:34

Primark do some lovely comfy black yoga pant style pj, try some.

rcs19 Thu 20-Dec-12 04:01:48

I've just come home after having dd2. Primark have pj's for £8- brushed cotton bottoms with a drawstring so they're adjustable, and a jersey top with 3 buttons for easy access to boobs. I took 2 pairs of them and a navy dressing gown. With pants 2 sizes up and maternity pads I had no leakage. Try not to worry, good luck.

I wore tena lady pants for the first WEEK under yoga pants, a soft bf/sleep bra, and t-shirt/cardie combo. I was quite shocked by the amount of lochia, tbh - the pads anesh pants they had.in the hospital were.crap, got dh to bring me some incontinence pants and was much more comfy and less conscious.

nickelbabylyinginamanger Tue 18-Dec-12 15:56:46
BranchingOut Tue 18-Dec-12 14:37:50

I had bought a couple of nighties but in the end I just wore hospital gowns.

My top tip is to lay a pad with wings underneath the maternity pad, then less chance of leakage from the sides.

EldritchCleavage Tue 18-Dec-12 14:36:28

Big pants (ie that go all the way up to the waist rather than skimpy low rise ones. If you have a caesarean you'll definitely need high ones so they don't sit on your CS incision). Disposable pants are good: Jojo Maman Bebe do mesh ones which are comfy.

Then either pyjamas or stretchy jersey trousers with a long T-shirt tunic. I got tunics with a button or press stud front so breast-feeding was easy.

You may or may not bleed a lot (I didn't) but as others have said even if you do, your clothes can just be washed.

I also wore a nice cotton house dress I had as the ward was so warm.

MarianForrester Tue 18-Dec-12 14:30:12

confuddled Think I overestimated grin

Did have a giant baby though, so was remarkable change!

these?

Hospitals can be very hot. And try to get very stretchy knickers.

confuddledDOTcom Mon 17-Dec-12 22:57:02

MarianForrester, I think people mean none maternity pants a size up as you usually do still have your bump to some degree.

Usually people with catheters only have them in for 12 hours or so, depending on when they're able to start moving around again. You can't move yourself usually (because it comes out when the spinal wears off) so you have to get someone else to dress you too (bad enough having to get someone to change your pads for you or move your inco sheet).

sweetpea1112 Mon 17-Dec-12 22:52:20

Haven't read whole thread so apologies for any cross posting.

I gave birth 3 weeks ago and had no issues with leaking at all smile I just wore dark pj bottoms and I am wearing the same pair as I type - so no need at all to throw them out. I would advise plenty of maternity pads - I bought 100 and finished using them a few days ago.

rainrainandmorerain Mon 17-Dec-12 22:47:09

jingle, relax. There were other women on this thread who had not worn underwear with a catheter after birth - it didn't sound as if this was a 'choice', just the option they were presented with. It wasn't just me. What can I say, advice and care varies so much from hospital to hospital in every aspect of maternity care.

People are posting a wide variety of experiences - that tends to happen on threads like this.

CatPussRoastingOnAnOpenFire Mon 17-Dec-12 22:03:17

There is no rule to say you have to wear pyjamas in hospital post birth. Take comfy clothes. Leggings, Joggers...
My hint is mens pants. They have a bit more room on them for big pads. I commandeered several pairs of DP's! blush

MrsSpencerReid Mon 17-Dec-12 21:56:27

Keep the catheter in place, I had it for about 30 hours, sorry, sleep deprived brain blush

MrsSpencerReid Mon 17-Dec-12 21:53:30

I had a section and wore pants! They said it helped keep it in placesmile I hardly bled at all, less than a normal period, just wore what I'd been wearing at home, good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now