What did you wear in hospital after the baby was born? I need links please - people have me v worried about this:-(

(103 Posts)
Pinkflipflop Sun 16-Dec-12 18:50:56

I can't find black maternity pyjamas! A friend who gave birth said you basically throw out your pyjamas after you wear them as I will be leaking blood so badly. This really makes me feel uncomfortable: number 1, I can't really afford to buy 5/6 pairs of pyjamas to just bin after 1 wear and number 2, will I really leak blood everywhere I go? Really? Do maternity pads not stop this?

Anyone who has given birth recently, if you could tell or show me what you wore immediately afterwards I would be really grateful!

jinglebellyalltheway Sun 16-Dec-12 19:04:10

(I had to send DH out to buy me stuff for the post natal ward because I under estimated what size i'd be afterwards, I didn't realise that its quite common to be bigger after than at 9 months pregnant - had water retention all over)

backinaminute Sun 16-Dec-12 19:04:41

I've had nighties both times. I had some mothercare ones from ds1 that were quite long (knee length) so covered any bleeding issues. I didn't bleed too badly and you'll have sheets to cover any grimness. If you're planning to breastfeed, I'd get either some cheap, dark nighties or pjs that have easy access to your boobs. I had 3 and it was enough and I stayed in 2 nights. Have you got someone who would wash them and bring them back if needed? I don't think you'd need 5/6 pairs. I had a grim first birth and an ELCS second time and haven't had to throw anything away. I certainly wouldn't worry about it.

Tragedies Sun 16-Dec-12 19:06:00

Long time ago now - I wore what I had been wearing to bed at the end of my pregnancies (3 of them) with the addition of black pants underneath. Changed pads frequently and had no problem.

I had a pair of black PJ bottoms from Primark and a couple of pairs of black leggings which I intended to wear with a nightshirt. As it was, I was discharged after 24 hours so only needed one pair for hospital.

teacher123 Sun 16-Dec-12 19:09:57

I bought a couple of really cheap pairs of black roll top tracksuiit bottoms 2 sizes up from pre pregnancy size from tescos, and about 10 pairs of cheap black knickers that were ENORMOUS and covered my c section scar. I still wear them sometimes, they are mega comfy! I don't remember leaking onto my clothes at all once I'd had my first shower and I was in hospital for a week. I bought some black slippers and ditched them before I went home. Don't panic!

nickelbabylyinginamanger Sun 16-Dec-12 19:11:38

just wear your maternity knickers

and normal front buttoni ng pyjamas.

don't worry about blood - clothes wash! even if you do want to throw them away, wait till the 6 weeks have gone.
i got some jammies for a tenner from peacocks.

chocolatecheesecake Sun 16-Dec-12 19:14:21

I wore knickers a size up from normal but also big in style - proper waist high granny knickers. They keep pads in place, are comfy (whether or not you have a c section). I also got some cheap pyjamas - they did get some blood in them but it washed out, but at least if it hadn't I wouldn't have minded. Having extra pairs also comes in useful in the first week or so as I had terrible night sweats with both DC and this plus milk/ baby vomit etc meant frequent pj changes!

I bought a nightshirt from primani for £7 and wore knickers and a pad. Nightshirt good for boob feeding/skin to skin. Didn't bleed that much and couldn't afford to spend money on maternity pyjamas-not really necessary tbh

OddBoots Sun 16-Dec-12 19:17:06

I swore by black yoga pants, a nice soft wide high waist. I figured I could adjust it if I needed a a section but I never had one.

BikeRunSki Sun 16-Dec-12 19:18:06

First time - maternity nighty, then hospital gown
Second time - maternity jeans and top, then hospital gown
Both were emcs

Lilliana Sun 16-Dec-12 19:23:51

Big nightshirt, normal pj bottoms, big pants 1 size bigger than I normally wear and big maternity pads which I changed regularly. I leaked a tiny bit once but no problem. You will be fine, don't worry.

For the actual labour, I wore a cheapo Primarni nighty (navy blue with a 'lovely' penguin on it!!!) then for the 8 days I had to stay in hospital for (DS wasn't well and needed IV antibiotics) I had 3 breastfeeding nighties from Mothercare (2 bought in the sale) which I alternated. The bleeding was heavy but fine as long as you get the massive maternity pads that look like pillows rather than the thin ones. And I took my maternity dressing gown, flip flops for showering, and slippers...

And massive pants (as my DH affectionately called them!!!) wink

Blu Sun 16-Dec-12 19:33:00

OP, you don't spring back to your old shape within minutes of giving birth, it takes a couple of days for your stomach to go back down - it's just less hard. Just wear the pants you have been wearing in the last months of pregnancy, as long as they can support a pad.

Strawhatpirate Sun 16-Dec-12 19:35:30

I had two knee length nightdresses that buttoned down the front and a cream dressing gown. Honestly you will be fine but you might have to chuck your pants away.

Plentyoffish Sun 16-Dec-12 20:00:58

I just doubled up the maternity pads and changed them often and it was fine.

I recommend dark colours so if you do leak visitors etc won't see.

I bought a couple of black nighties from Primark and to be honest I still wear them now.

Have a search on eBay for maternity yoga pants I wore them during the day with a black best top x

welovedaddy Sun 16-Dec-12 21:06:13

I was the same as bumGrapes when i had my first ..... followed all the mags' advice about having a button up nightie for the easiest feeding - i felt so exposed, and had to have sheets changed because of leakage in the night! This time i've got dark primark pyjamas with buttons down the top that are actually functional rather than decorative! I also have four pairs of tesco value big black pants for the towels....

MrsHoarder Sun 16-Dec-12 21:22:09

I wore old (pre-pregnancy) jersey nightwear that I wanted an excuse to throw away (so of course it was all fine). And a pack of Tesco knickers, but the midwives put me in disposable ones for the first day.

I was about the same size as I'd been at around 20 weeks pregnant, so not your usual size, but you don't need maternity wear necessarily.

AliceWChild Mon 17-Dec-12 08:40:18

I'm size 12 and wore 14/16 disposable pants. They're not the nicest of things but it was great to be able to just throw the whole lot away rather than have to deal with anything messy. Got through about 3 boxes, maybe 4. Then just normal pants, what I'd been wearing during pregnancy.

HappySurfWidow Mon 17-Dec-12 09:28:14

I bought loads of big black knickers that I expected to throw out, but never did as they didn't get leaked on at all, eventhough I bled loads.

My midwives put THREE pads in at the same time, in a staggered line-up IFYSWIM, so I was well padded from front to back and just whipped out the bloodiest one every now and then. I would never have known to do this and it definitely saved me from any extra clothes-washing or disposal.

rainrainandmorerain Mon 17-Dec-12 09:34:32

Well, I had a c section and had I guess a normal amount of bleeding - did leak occasionally, due to volume and what with baby and stitches, sometimes I hjust wasn't able to leap out of bed when appropriate and get to the bathroom for a full change of undies.

I don't understand why it has to be pyjamas. I've never warn pyjamas, and had no intention of buying some just for hospital. I just wore light yoga pants/trackie bottoms, like I had done for the last months of pregnancy, with the same huge black pants I had been in too. button through tops or shirts were a total waste of time for me, I couldn't juggle baby and unbuttoning and buttoning back up - I just wore a comfy vest top and nursing bra and hoiked the top up.

Startail Mon 17-Dec-12 09:40:57

Dark leggings and a long tunic.
(Too long ago for links)

Felt utterly stupid in a nightshirt in front of other people's visitors or the staff. I wasn't ill and I wanted to go home.

DD1 was a pain to feed, I lied we, we went home.

DD2 was born at homegrin

MissCoffeeNWine Mon 17-Dec-12 09:42:08

I just wore my normal clothes, though I was at home so not staying in bed. It was nice to wear my proper trousers again. Pants wise it was knickers one size too big and a maternity pad. But I didn't throw anything out. I gave birth wearing a vest and white shirt and both just went in the wash and I still wear them. I wore cream trousers on day three, not sure why but the pictures don't lie. I was concentrating more on what to wear on the top for BF than what was going on at the bottom end!

sheeplikessleep Mon 17-Dec-12 09:44:14

Out of two times, I got a few spots of blood on one pair of pjs once.
They washed OK in the wash.

I did throw out the old huge t-shirt I birthed in.

But I just wore big pjs (I think I bought a couple from Primark a couple of sizes bigger - though tbh, they had elasticated waists, so I wore them for years afterwards!) /big trakkie bottoms for the days afterwards. I did have to change my pad every hour at the beginning and be careful if I'd been asleep a little while (hah!), but for me, as long as I kept an eye on it, I just changed my pad as and when I needed to.

You'll be fine and it'll be the least of your thoughts when you've got bubs in your arms, good luck!

PeachTown Mon 17-Dec-12 09:47:12

I have some cheap black pants from Tesco and some cheap black bottoms from H&M to wear with vest tops. I found the ward too hot for a dressing gown last time and I was too self conscious in a nightie as I'm tall.

I don't intend to throw anything away though - I have a washing machine and washing powder at home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now