breech vaginal birth??

(8 Posts)
claireb2007 Thu 13-Dec-12 23:43:48

im 34+ weeks pregnant and baby is breech at the mo...my last 2 pregnancies the babys were breech, 1 had to be turned at 37 weeks and the other turned himself at 36 weeks. this time my dr has offered me 3 options if the baby hasnt turned by 37 weeks, a vaginal birth, c section or ecv...

just wondering if anyone has had a breech vaginal birth and how it was for them?

SantaFlashesHisBoobsALot Thu 13-Dec-12 23:52:46

Its fantastic your doctor is offering you the option of a vaginal birth! grin

Check out Birth Without Fear, there are loads of lovely breech birth stories on there.

Whilst a CS may be needed for some breech positions, breech is just a variation of normal. The problem is it became presumed a while ago that breech = needed a CS, so it has become less common, though over the last few years a movement has started to reintroduce the encouragement of breech VB. There are some lovely breech vaginal delivery videos on youtube as well.

SantaFlashesHisBoobsALot Thu 13-Dec-12 23:53:34

Sorry, I shouldn't really say ''option'' - in the end it is your birth, and you make the decisions. But I mean its great he has suggested it without rushing to push for a CS smile

saripan Sun 16-Dec-12 11:40:11

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Dogsmom Sun 16-Dec-12 18:08:28

I can't comment from personal experience but was talking to a lady in her 70's the other day who had 4 breech babies, in her day there were no scans etc and she had no problems at all, home births with no pain relief.

rubytutu Sun 16-Dec-12 20:38:04

I have a friend who lives in Shropshire and had a vaginal breech birth this year, said her hospital are well known for allowing them I think it may be Shrewsbury hospital but not sure. Had not heard of the nhs allowing it before she had her ds.

SneakyNuts Wed 19-Dec-12 18:47:33

Outing myself completely here;

Not breech exactly, but I had a vaginal birth with my daughter, and she was born with her feet up by her face. The Midwives/Doctors weren't aware of the situation until her head was out so by then it was too late for a C-section.

She had to be assisted with the ventouse, but she was perfectly healthy (if a little mangled in the legs!) I had a episiotomy but was fine after birth.

It's entirely possible, made much easier if everyone looking after you is aware of the situation. smile

Alamaya Thu 27-Dec-12 00:46:03

depends on the type of breech.

My son was undiagosed footling breech. I had him unplanned at home. (didnt get to hospital in time).

He has medical issues linked to this and i would always recommend a none vaginal birth after what happened to me and i am anti c-section.

Hugs xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now