34 week scan showed baby's head on 95th percentile....ouch!

(57 Posts)
inadreamworld Sun 02-Dec-12 17:52:00

I am expecting baby number 2 on 9th Jan. I went for a late scan as my placenta had been low lying at 20 week scan. Luckily it has moved and they say I am fine for a vaginal delivery and baby is head down. The lady who did the scan asked me to talk to the doctor as the baby's head measuring very big (95th percentile) but not abnormally big. The doctor said everything should be fine for a natural delivery and nothing to worry about - especially as it is my 2nd baby and cervix will open faster 2nd time around. Does a bigger head mean I am more likely to need forceps/c-section. Had natural delivery last time - just a 2nd degree tear which healed up fine.

inadreamworld Sat 15-Dec-12 18:10:27

on the large side

Emsyboo Mon 17-Dec-12 13:03:06

My DS was 98percentile head measurement first baby had slight tear no episiotomy or intervention and was ok but then I had no idea he would be so big blissful ignorance!
I am sure if they aren't concerned you have nothing to worry about perhaps mention it in delivery do they can keep a closer eye on your progress. Do you know what your first DC was in percentile?
Good luck x

inadreamworld Tue 22-Jan-13 08:47:05

Hi this is the OP.....smileJust in case anyone reads this in the future and has the same worry. DD2 was born a few days ago - 4 hour labour, got to hospital fully dilated (and just in time) - she weighed 7 lb 1 oz so not a big baby and they said her head measured average/smallish!! 3 pushes and she was out. I did have a 2nd degree tear but it is healing up fine, no issues. Shows how wrong the scan was and how I was worrying for nothing!!!

Macarooned Tue 22-Jan-13 09:11:48

Congratulations inadream! And welcome mini inadream.

Glad all went so well, thanks for reporting back. Enjoy you're newborn snuggles gringrin

mayhew Tue 22-Jan-13 09:38:20

Lovely to hear all went well. A typical 2nd baby, quick no fuss delivery. interesting how far out the prediction was! What was the head circumference?

inadreamworld Tue 22-Jan-13 14:42:48

Not sure if head circ written anywhere on the notes I have mayhew I just remember them laughing at me when I asked if it was big and they said no normal and on the small side....will have a look and see if I can find out.

inadreamworld Tue 22-Jan-13 22:59:25

mayhew head circ was 34cm. Found the hospital notes in DD2s Red Book.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now