34 week scan showed baby's head on 95th percentile....ouch!

(57 Posts)
inadreamworld Sun 02-Dec-12 17:52:00

I am expecting baby number 2 on 9th Jan. I went for a late scan as my placenta had been low lying at 20 week scan. Luckily it has moved and they say I am fine for a vaginal delivery and baby is head down. The lady who did the scan asked me to talk to the doctor as the baby's head measuring very big (95th percentile) but not abnormally big. The doctor said everything should be fine for a natural delivery and nothing to worry about - especially as it is my 2nd baby and cervix will open faster 2nd time around. Does a bigger head mean I am more likely to need forceps/c-section. Had natural delivery last time - just a 2nd degree tear which healed up fine.

DyeInTheEar Mon 03-Dec-12 14:37:26

average sized banjo grin

that's good to hear Pickle <concentrates on pelvic floor exercises>

if it helps, OP, DS has a humumgous head (as do I) and came out with only a teensy tear that didn't even really need stitching. He was 9lbs and looong 22 inches I think.

He's 2 1/2 now and tall and wearing hats for 4 year olds. Just how it goes!

DS 2 (due in 2 weeks!) is also measuring big, but I suspect that (1) measurements aren't that reliable and (2) I can probably manage it, since DS1 was ok to push out. I'm not sure if the massage did owt for me tbh, but someone supporting the perineum as you deliver can make all the difference, so it's never too late! smile

SolomanDaisy Mon 03-Dec-12 16:53:57

My DS had a 96th centile head (scan was accurate) and was born with his hand on his head! I had a 15 minute 2nd stage, gas and air and a minor 2nd degree tear. He was my first too.

DyeInTheEar Mon 03-Dec-12 20:02:25

shock Soloman !

DyeInTheEar Mon 03-Dec-12 20:03:40

but someone supporting the perineum as you deliver can make all the difference

How does that actually happen blackcurrants ?

Midgetm Tue 04-Dec-12 09:07:51

DS was 97th. He is 8 weeks and already can't fit into things for 3-6. I did tear but not badly and that was more ventouse than the size of his head. Ventouse was needed because he had turned and his face got stuck. I do shudder a little when I look at his head though...

Dye My midwife sort of cupped my perineum with her fingers and thumb in a C shape as DS crowned, and she was massaging oil in. We're in the USA and it's an Ina May Gaskin thing - the oil took the sting out and the support stopped DS whooshing out, I think!

sanam2010 Tue 04-Dec-12 14:28:46

DD1 was born with 98% percentile head circumference. The 20 week scan had shown this but I had assumed this would normalise by 40 weeks so I forgot about it. I had an uncomplicated natural birth, but through fault of my own the pushing stage lasted 4 hours - mainly because I refused the episiotomy for a long time - I had forgotten about the scan and was sure they always perform episiotomies unnecessarily (as they say in lots of natural birth books :-) ). Finally, when it really wasn't happening and I got exhausted, I agreed to the cut and baby came without problems within a minute. When I found out about her head circumference I felt very stupid. But anyway, she was born fine and healthy without any intervention other than the episiotomy, so you don't need to worry. But my advice is if they suggest episiotomy just agree to it :-).

I am at 36 weeks now with DD2 and 5 week scan showed 40% percentile head size, thank God!

StiffyByng Tue 04-Dec-12 15:06:55

I had a scan at 40+10 to check the placenta and the consultant told me the baby would be at least 10lbs. She was 9lb 1oz and looked a pound lighter according to the midwives-obviously she was dense! She emerged with her hand by her head, second degree tear which healed well. The head squishes in to go down the birth canal anyway.

inadreamworld Wed 05-Dec-12 08:01:22

Looks as if loads of you have had no problems pushing out large headed babies (if indeed the scan measurements are accurate!) smile

inadream there's 2 places it has to get through, the pelvic opening (yer hips - happily mine are huuuge - big arses have their uses it seems!) and the perineum. That part is just skin, so once you're past the pelvis the baby's pretty much GOING to come out, but it helps if you have someone telling you to stop, pant, wait for the head to crown, support the perineum/massage it with oil just at that point, because it reduces your chance of tearing. You may still tear- I did, had one little stitch - but after a week of wincing immediately after the birth, I've not had any real problems with it, despite the enormo-noggin smile

I'd do all and any perineal massage you can.

octanegirl Wed 05-Dec-12 18:10:47

I'm in the same boat but with DC1... Interesting to hear about perineal support as they crown though.

I delivered an 11 lb baby with no stitches. I did perineal massage and listened to the midwife when she told me to pant and stop pushing. His head was off the chart but his shoulders were the hardest bit.

inadreamworld Wed 05-Dec-12 18:27:03

I still have that perinium oil left from last pregnancy (DD only 19 months so hopefully it hasn't gone mouldy if indeed oil can go mouldy...). Anyway will start using it asap!

5madthings Wed 05-Dec-12 18:28:49

Firstly scans are often wrong.

Secondly you have birthed vaginakly before and thirdky my ds4 had a head circumference of 42cm whrn born. This is off the top of the chart! He was 10lb 13oz and had him in a birth pool, labour was less than An hour and i didnt even graze!

Hormonalhell Wed 05-Dec-12 18:33:57

I had a growth scan at 32 weeks and they told me my baby's head is fairly big too. I just thought its because it's a boy as DS had a big head when born and got slightly squashed. DD head was small and round.

DyeInTheEar Thu 06-Dec-12 13:37:38

5madthings 10lb 13oz - I have no words. smile

rudbekia Sun 09-Dec-12 15:51:33

Dd, my first, was born a week late weighing in at 8lbs 6 but her head was actually off the scale in terms of size.....I did end up with ventouse delivery in the end with an episiotomy which my GP, at the six week check, said she wasn't surprised about looking at the size of the top of my babe's head. But I really wouldn't panic - you'll either do fine on your own or if you do need a bit of intervention that's also no bad thing. I am on the petite size though!

inadreamworld Sun 09-Dec-12 17:19:18

Thanks Rudbekia - you are right, a ventouse/forceps wouldn't be the end of the world. Would prefer to avoid a c-section if at all possible, the thought of being cut open (!!!) also the recovery period...ugh. Think C section unlikely though so will keep fingers crossed (but not legs crossed lol)

sparklekitty Mon 10-Dec-12 15:08:42

Don't let it worry you too much. A 36 week scan had my dd head on 98th and they said if she went to term shed be well over 10lbs (my dh is very tall too so easy to believe) I went 4 days over and she was 8lbs 3. She did end up a bit stuck but that was nothing to do with her size or head.

Flisspaps Mon 10-Dec-12 15:43:45

5mad I take my hat off to you, DS was 11lb 7oz but his head was 'only' 40.5cm.

I did end up with spinal/forceps though, but that's because he was lying incredibly awkwardly and there were suspicions that he was transverse when I arrived at hospital after pushing for 4 hours. However, even his birth was FAR nicer than 8lb 2oz DD's.

Flisspaps Mon 10-Dec-12 15:44:22

No tearing with DS either, I had an episiotomy but I had one with DD too, and that extended into a 3a tear.

DyeInTheEar Sat 15-Dec-12 11:04:33

inadream I had him yesterday! I went almost 14 days over and he was 97% at my previous scan - and weighed in at 10lbs10. I did struggle to get him out as was very tired after having a couple of ill DCs to look after during the previous weeks and it was a longer labour than number 2. But I didn't tear or get cut and just have a small graze thanks to a brilliant MW who had to manually help him out after I'd got head out - but that was because I was a knackered and my pushing was a bit feeble by then. So no forceps, ventouse or stitches. And I had all three with number 1 who was much smaller at 7lb13.

My MW did say I shouldn't have been allowed to go over as my the placenta wasn't in great shape - in spite this being checked and OK'd a couple of times. So if your growth scans are showing you're measuring big don't be scared of having that conversation.

I was in the pool which helped a lot. Good Luck - I hope it all goes well.

WinkyWinkola Sat 15-Dec-12 11:13:28

Ds3 was 10lbs 4ozs at birth with an enormous head. Midwives went very quiet when they saw his head!

If (and that's a big if), your baby does have a big head, try to labour upright and forward like kneeling and leaning forward on a bed. This can open up your pelvis by up to 30% more.

Good luck. You can do this!

inadreamworld Sat 15-Dec-12 18:10:01

DyeInTheEar Congratulations!!! 10lbs10!!!! Wow. Your bump must have been measuring big too surely. I was measuring only 34 when I was 35 and a half weeks - was just the scan at 34 weeks showed the head was on the large size. Will definitely agree to be induced if I go overdue. Well done on pushing him out and congratulations again!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now