HELP! 8 weeks PN have big blood clot in uterus need D&C! :-(

(18 Posts)
Haggisfish Tue 04-Dec-12 21:31:05

Ruddy hell! Hope the scan goes well. Update us tomorrow. you have my sympathy - it was horrible when my problems went on for so fecking long, too.

Angelico Tue 04-Dec-12 20:58:08

UPDATE: still bleeding a week and a half post-D&C. Thought it might be my first period post-birth. Anyone else bleed for this long afterwards?

Going back to gynae tomorrow for another scan so they can see what's what sad

Angelico Sat 24-Nov-12 17:14:41

All went well thanks smile Apparently there was quite a lot in there so got a good 'scrape' as well as clot removed <shivers>. Lovely anaesthetist took the sickness thing seriously and gave me plenty of drugs and also didn't give me any morphine which meant I was quite sore for an hour or so (bit like a period cramp that went on and on) but it went away as soon as I sat up and fed daughter - think she acted like a hot water bottle lol.

Going to take it easy this evening. Thank you so much for all your info, it really helped knowing what to expect thanks

mustbewinetime Sat 24-Nov-12 16:15:34

I had retained a part of placenta which wasn't discovered until 4 weeks after birth when I started bleeding ALOT and passing huge clots. Was literally gushing when i stood up! Sorry, TMI! For a while doctor thought it was just the return of my periods until finally being sent for a scan. After a wasted day spent in hospital trying to rid it the medical way I was sent back in for a D&C. Was absolutely fine! Woke up thinking i'd been asleep for hours when it was only actually about 20 mins blush. No pain though at all! Good luck!

MmeLinrod Fri 23-Nov-12 22:52:15

Good luck tomorrow, Angelico and thanks for the flowers and sympathy. It was a long time ago and I've been lucky enough to have two lovely dc afterwards.

Hope all goes well.

elizaregina Fri 23-Nov-12 12:14:53

Thanks Angelico - was your bleeding alot or a little. My MW commented that my uterus went down quickly for a section also - so maybe this has happned.
anyway nice reasuring responses for you re d&c....good luck with it!

MrsJohnDeere Fri 23-Nov-12 10:00:04

I had one recently after a miscarriage.

Very quick, easy procedure. Mine was 30 mins because I needed vast quantities of anaesthesia, apparently (no idea why). 10-15 is the norm.

I had pain (like bad period pain) for 2/3 days afterwards, and on and off over the last 5 weeks. I needed antibiotics because I got an infection afterwards (day 3 iirc) but after a couple of days on those I felt much better. You will probably feel very out of sorts (and not be allowed to drive) for the first 48 hours., amd tired for a few weeks afterwards (but you would anyway with a tiny baby).

Angelico Fri 23-Nov-12 09:52:22

Thanks ladies smile Tomorrow morning... Haggis yes had ELCS and funnily enough I stopped bleeding for a few days about 5 days after CS and thought, "Oh brill it's all stopped" so you might be right about the overly-eager cervix! smile Idle that is a pain! Duchesse actually isn't painful, had no idea the bugger was there although last couple of days have been a bit crampy but just thought I'd been overdoing it. MmeLinrod sorry to hear that you've had to go through this - I'm sure the op was the least of your worries at the time sad thanks

duchesse Thu 22-Nov-12 23:56:11

You must be in quite a lot of pain at the moment, no? I don't have experience of PN blood clot, only antenatal and that was sodding painful. I would imagine that you will feel a lot better after the op. Just makes sure your surgeon is experienced at doing the procedure!

Also you should ask for your iron levels to be checked if you've been bleeding for 8 weeks (presumably a fair bit).

MmeLinrod Thu 22-Nov-12 23:45:05

I've have 3 after miscarriages and they really are fine.

You should get a pre op Valium (or similar) to calm your nerves. It is all v painless - at most you might have light period pain type cramps.

idlevice Thu 22-Nov-12 23:40:40

I had this at 5wks post-birth with DS1. The blood clot was apparently the size of a coke can, nice...I was really pissed off as I'd had a GA right after delivery for removal of retained placenta & had a massive PPH so it was a right performance and then I had to go back for more. It was quick though & I felt really well-rested after having the GA!

Haggisfish Thu 22-Nov-12 22:27:55

Did you have an ELCS Angelico? I had my clot after an EMCS - I think my cervix closed too quickly and that's why I got mine. I have just booked in for an ELCS for my second, and am swithering now! I eventually paid for a private US scan to see if I had a clot, and to check there were no retained membranes etc. Hope you feel better soon - everyone I spoke to about a D and C said it was fine.

Angelico Thu 22-Nov-12 19:58:15

Thanks for info bonzo appreciate it. And eliza thanks for sympathy smile You've reminded me I must go back and update the ELCS thread as I suspect this was the root cause of my slow recovery - I only started to feel totally better after CS around week 5 - when I was on ABs for low level fever etc which I was blaming on blocked ducts (borderline mastitis). Having cleared ducts fine without ABs since the infection was obviously in the fecking clot but just seemed coincidence that I felt less abdominal pain etc when on ABs hmm Bleeding wise I had old blood which then turned red and pink again on and off so just keep an eye on it and if you get to 6 weeks still bleeding and / or have any infections symptoms definitely ask for a transvaginal scan.

bonzo77 Thu 22-Nov-12 17:35:40

I had a d&c following a mc. Honestly, it was quick and painless and I felt fine afterwards. Didn't need any painkillers. Was a bit tired for a few days after though.

elizaregina Thu 22-Nov-12 17:22:22

Hi I cant help you but wanted to comiserate with you! You poor thing....can I aks how much you were bleeding? Was it a little or a lot? Did you have any other symptoms, only ask as I am also bleeding but not much - goes like old blood then comes back bright red....but no other symptoms.

I really hope once this is sorted you can finally recover!

Angelico Thu 22-Nov-12 16:56:36

Thanks for answering haggis. I think the issue is it has started to 'establish' and get some fibrous tissue so probably wouldn't just pass out. So fucked off that GP 4 weeks ago didn't send me for scan as probably at that stage I could have tried the tablets sad

Haggisfish Thu 22-Nov-12 16:49:52

Yes, I had a blood clot about 2cm by 2cm for eight weeks afterwards, too. I was given five days worth of norethisterone (I think this as it) to induce a period first, which worked - the cervix opened, I hada 'period' and then uterus was clear. Definitely worth asking about before a surgical procedure. It didn't affect my breastfeeding either.

Angelico Thu 22-Nov-12 16:19:36

Just had my PN check up a bit late (8 weeks) and mentioned that I'm still bleeding. Got an internal scan and have a big blood clot sitting in uterus. Have to go in on Sat for D&C - would have been tomorrow but couldn't get childcare or start ABs in time sad

Anyone any experience of this? Am so pissed off, need a General anaesthetic and have to take 2 diff ABs. What can I expect afterwards? Is it sore?

Posting this in a couple of places to try and get some answers so thanks in advance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now