Ok, keep me sane - those who declined Induction!(35 Posts)
I am now 40+11 by scan dates (my own dates make me a couple of days less). I am absolutely declining IOL for post dates alone. I am a VBAC, and planning a homebirth.
So, despite being a midwife myself, I have never really come across women who decline IOL. Most are begging for it at this point... but not me!
So, if you declined it... what happened next! Please reassure me that I won't be pregnant forever. Stupid hormones!
I was 40+13 by scan dates last time, but 40+9 by my own dates. However I wasn't 100% sure of my own dates. This time I am definite.
I need your stories!
Lol. You'll get there. Just be pleased your baby is quiet, feeding his/herself and changing his/her own nappies.
I was told I HAD to see a consultant at 40+12 by their dates. I told them 'no chance' but I woukd agree to a scan at 40+14 by MY dates.
They also wanted me to go for an earlier scan due to having a big baby. I also refused because so what if it's big?
You will probably go into labour today! I went into labour on 42 days exactly!
I ate pineapple, enjoyed a lovely bit curry and swi with induction intent
Ok, I'm still here at 42 weeks today!
I need stories, and lots of them! Please tell me how you spontaneously laboured after 42 weeks! (And when...!)
I've read all the ones on homebirth.org.uk!
<Cries in self pity>
No this was over 2 years ago so don't worry! I was just trying to explain how I felt at the time
cheese- - sorry you feel sad :-(
I may very well agree but just want to go through both the pros and cons with the consultant and work out why it is being recommended. I do think that's perfectly reasonable and immsorry that didn't happen with you. Its such a massively vulnerable time and things like this can make such a difference.
It's good you had a GP friend to discuss with DH's aunt is a GP (with 4 children). She's been a huge help to us and explained the issues around policy vis a vis actual medical necessity etc and made me realise it's absolutely fine to question and have a discussion re things. If the consultant has a problem with that, then that's the consultant's problem!
It's made me feel much, much calmer about the whole process as now I feel it can be collaborative rather than me just having things done to me which made me feel really worried and upset.
According to NICE guidelines they are supposed to talk through the alternatives when they talk about induction, but I dont know anyone they have done that with. They booked me in for 40+12 when I was 40+5ish and I was so stressed about it (came out in tears) that I am convinced it contributed to me not going in to labour. I discussed it with several people (including a GP friend) in the next few days and came to the conclusion that there was no reason other than policy that they wanted to induce me. I they had come up with a medical reason I would have gone with it, but they didnt. interestingly I later found out that my MIL had refused induction with DH on the grounds that he would come when he was ready, but without actually realising what a stir she was causing (in the 70s!).
That's great advice - thanks. I'm happy to agree to daily monitoring and could very well agree to the induction if I feel it's right. I just want to make sure that I can have a discussion regarding it.
I've seen loads of midwives ( never seen the same one more than twice) and thry're all very "...and this is when we will induce you. You'll come to the hospital then etc and be in the ward". It's presented as a fait accompli with no discussion to be had.
Re who to take, I do have a doula and DH is very good. Just want to make sure we have a discussion as I know the hospital we are going to are notorious for whacking people straight on a drip, ramping it up ASAP and then announcing that, actually, unfortunately the anaesthetists are all busy fir the next 6 hours. Cue horrific contractions very quickly with no pain relief Two colleagues have ended up giving birth alone due to this. One, to be fair, because the midwife had gone to desperately look for an anaesthetist and one because the midwife said she was "fussing" and had buggered off.
No, I didnt see a consultant at the point I refused induction. I agreed to daily monitoring and went for my first session at 40+13 which was the day I was originally due to be induced (got my days above all muddled!). The consultant came to see me then to look at the trace etc and we did discuss putting a cut off on the monitoring so I agreed to an induction at 40+16 which I was happy with as I do think there is a point where it becomes better to do it than wait. I went into labour the next day.
I've been told I have to see a consultant at 40+12 ( they would normally book induction for then.) Obviously they can't make me see anyone, but I will go, but will make sure that I have my doula with me to help me argue my case if I get an arsey consultant. Is there anyone ballsy and knowledgeable you could take with you?
I'm hoping it doesn't come to that though! Am 40 weeks tomorrow by their dates which I know are out by at least 4 days. I won't consider induction until I am 40+12 by my dates, and even then would rather wait it out if all is well.
Glad I've found this thread. Just reading one where a poster talks about a doctor 'insisting' on an induction and one being done. This totally horrified me. I'm 38+5 so not overdue yet.
If I do become overdue (40+10) at local
shitty hospital, do I have to go and see a condultant? My next appointment with midwife is at 40+4. Presumably I can just refuse any consultant appointment then and say I'll discuss when properly overdue.
Am booked in to wythenshawe hospital where I haven't heard a single good word about the consultants/registrars there. Midwives are pretty crap too but the lesser of two evils so would rather avoid the consultants etc unless I absolutely have to
That's my reasoning behind refusing IOL at 40 weeks. The consultant wants to look at induction at term as I have had IVF. In my eyes that still doesn't mean it will be ready at 40 weeks exactly though. Scans I have had have put the measurements as a few days earlier but they didn't bother changing my due date with it being IVF conception.
Sorry for hijacking detective
The due date is guesswork to start with: the doctor asks date of last period, estimates are made from measurements, gestation is a rough guide anyway (not every baby is born after XXX days), and dates are calculated differently in different coutries anyway.
I know someone who had an induction at about 40+ 10 days. Now she and her other half are both very tall and at an early scan, the measurements were taken and due date estimated. The baby was estimated at 2-3 weeks early in the end. I assume it was because of measurements - as I said, both parents were well over 6 feet.
Fatima not every baby is ready at exactly 40 weeks, in different countries term is classes as 41 or even 42 in (I think) Sweden) so what you think your dates are still doesn't mean baby will come at 40 wks even by your dates.
I am being thick he was born at 40+14!
My DN was born at 40+20! My Dsis had expectant management I think every other day I think. She was put under pressure to agree to iol but stuck to her guns. She started off at home but was transferred into hosp and thinks she was treated as high risk in hosp because she was overdue. DN was absolutely fine though, didn't have that overdue look
Those saying that due dates can be up to 2 weeks out. What happens if you know the exact date and therefore the exact due date?
Would you be willing to agree to IOL earlier then? How far would you accept going over?
From now on ignore the housework, let the dishes pile up next to the sink and if possible let some toddlers go wild in your front room - I'll even lend you mine! A messy house is guaranteed to make labour start if you're having a homebirth
voice of experience
Christine, labour that starts by itself is more likely to end in a normal delivery than one artificially started. Presumably, when the body is physiologically ready it works more efficiently. This means that you have to balance the risks of waiting for labour to start against the risks of, well any of these, drug reactions, baby becoming distressed by the process, baby not quite mature, baby being medicated, immobility in labour, epidural, instrumental and cs delivery.
This is not to say that IOL is not a wise choice in the right circumstances but it is not risk-free.
Going to be the stupid one and ask.... What's wrong with induction? I was induced early due to complications on scan at 20 weeks... It never occurred to me induction was bad??
I havemt but used to teach childbirthy things. Due dates can be two weeks + out! If you and the baby are comfortable, safe and not in discomfort, whats the harm in waiting a little longer. Ask your doctor and see what s/he says.
Baby can't stay in there for ever you know!
I agreed to iol on 40+17 btw - my community mw said I could always move the date again when it came close. Then went into labour naturally - yay
I refused iol. DS was born at 40+15 on their dates, which was 40+10 on theirs.
I 'had' to see the consultant to discuss why I didn't want iol - I explained about charting and why I was so sure I knew when I has ov and conceived. He was very supportive and asked us to agree to 'split the difference' ie agree to iol on 40+17 on their dates, which was 40+12 on mine.
Only problem I had was with mw who was head of antenatal who thought I was putting DS at risk.
DS was fine btw!
I refused induction at 40+14, had some monitoring, a sweep and a brisk walk up a hill and DD was born the following morning. I think I would have relented at 40+16, so I'm glad she put in an appearance when she did!
Good luck with it all, OP.
I've got quite a detailed birth plan - I don't intend to transfer for mec. liquor - unless it is fresh and thick in labour.
That reminds me, I could really do with printing it off, as the SOM and community midwives have a copy - and I don't! Must remember what I have written .
I'm not intending daily monitoring either. I'm trying to decide on a frequency which I am comfortable with. I think daily is just too much when you are trying to relax and allow your body to labour!
I really hoped I wouldn't get to this point in my birth plan .
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.