Alas, I have lost my crown as the warrior-queen of childbirth...

(65 Posts)

My lovely friend has today given birth to a beautiful bouncing eye-watering baby boy of 11lb13oz... I previously held the title with a solid 9lb2oz baby

though technically I still kinda retain some record, as my DS was delivered naturally (Tens plus Gas & Air) whereas my poor friend had to have a C Section as it just wasn't happening

Anyone else had little whoppers larger babies? Are the subsequent siblings actually BIGGER???

«winces»

Oh, I know it's not related to size-my smallest could also hold her head right away! What I meant, was it made him seem more 'grown up' to some people, coupled with his size. People assumed he was 3-4 months when he was only 3 days old.

The next babies in our family were my sisters twins, who were born at 30 weeks weighing 3lb and 2.15. She delivered them naturally and had a horrendous 6 weeks before they could come home. If there were medals being handed out, she deserved one for sure!

ISeeThreadPeople Wed 14-Nov-12 09:30:55

happy2b, my 6lber and my 7lber held their heads up at birth. I don't think it's related to size. My friend's 12lber definitely couldn't. He was oddly delicate for a fairly big baby. Like somebody else said, just a newborn but in different proportions.

ISeeThreadPeople Wed 14-Nov-12 09:29:06

Big babies are easier to birth (in general terms, obviously there are exceptions, deviations and a million tales otherwise) because of the size of them. Which begs the question rather. I mean that they put more pressure on the cervix and gravity can be an enormous aid to delivery.

Okay, okay, I want an amendment to my badge. I might have been SHIT at giving birth but from below the 50th centile at birth, I grew dd off the charts by 12 weeks. She was 26lbs at 26 weeks on breastmilk alone. Now bfing I'm bloody good at (this is not true I hasten to add, the good bit, dd was 26lbs on bm alone, I was very lucky to be able to bf and dd was good at it, not me).

My dear friend had DTs, both weighing 8lbs each. She's 5ft and by the end of pregnancy could not reach round her bump and make her hands meet. She looked BEAUTIFUL. And pissed off. Babies were evicted at 39 weeks.

BarbecuedBillygoats Wed 14-Nov-12 09:05:57

Mine got smaller
9 14. Pethedine
8 7.5. Nothing and air makes me sick
2 12 crash section
7 14. Nothing again
Weirdly the last one had a similar size head to the first

BarbecuedBillygoats Wed 14-Nov-12 09:05:07

Mine got smaller
9 14. Pethedine
8 7.5. Nothing and air makes me sick
2 12 crash section
7 14. Nothing again
Weirdly the last one had a similar size head to the first

javotte Wed 14-Nov-12 09:00:55

DS was 8lbs 3oz (induced, epidural)
DD1 was 8lbs 5oz (spontaneous, no pain relief at all).
DD2 was 9lbs (again, no pain relief at all).
The babies got bigger but the births got easier.

5madthings Wed 14-Nov-12 08:44:42

Ds4's head was 42cm i had a really cute hat and matching outfit i had to put on him when i took it off he had a line on his forehead where the hat had bedn too small blush in my defence he only wore iy long enough for a photo!

Flisspaps Wed 14-Nov-12 08:17:49

Bertha DS had a 40.5 CM head, we wedged a newborn hat on him and watched it ping off across the cubicle - hilarious!

chutneypig Wed 14-Nov-12 06:22:54

Not for late on Twelve unfortunately, always regret that. My bump wasn't as big as it might seem. I think he got so big because his backside was stuck right by my belly button, so I still stretched. DD was tucked up the side and didn't have as much room. I looked really lopsided.

I didn't look pregnant from behind so that gave some people a shock. One girl nudged her friend and said bloody hell look at that. Given she was a student in a medical school, I hope her bedside manner has improved!

1944girl Tue 13-Nov-12 23:19:07

I am another s...... at childbirth.DS1 was 7lbs 12oz, DS2 was 7lbs 3oz both born by EMCS as could not pass through my pelvis-I am 4ft 10ins.
My late MIL said her first one weighed 14lbs born at home.Mind you had to take a pinch of salt with certain things she said.

niniane Tue 13-Nov-12 22:39:47

DD was 10lb 13oz. I have never been so happy as I was when they said I needed an emcs. She wasn't a particularly chunky baby but was very long (61cm).

BreconBeBuggered Tue 13-Nov-12 22:27:41

DS1 was just under 8lb, but we were in a ward full of 10 and 11lb giants, and he looked tiny. DS2 weighed slightly less than his brother but this time around the other babies in the ward were 5 and 6-pounders and he was the strapping monster.

I got the award for being the crappiest at birth both times. No Caesarean, but pretty much everything else. Up to and including a million stitches, which burst and got infected.

BardOfBarking Tue 13-Nov-12 22:16:49

DD 7lb 14oz Venteuse
DS 11lb 1oz (I TOLD them he felt big) born at home with Gas & Air
DS 8lb 6oz Born 2 weeks early by c-section

3 very different births.

Poledra Tue 13-Nov-12 22:14:47

I was 7lb 13 at birth. My twin brother was 6lb 12. My poor mother (though we were c-section as bro was a transverse lie, and underneath me).

5madthings Tue 13-Nov-12 22:07:19

ds4 was 10lb 13oz, had him in a the pool, labour was an hour, just gas and air and he had a 42cm head circumference which is off the top of the chart in the red book, the midwife was amazed at the size of his head and remeasured it 3 times to check, i also had a huge placenta. his was my easiest birth.

my others were 9lb+ apart from dd who was a teeny 8lb smile hers was the hardest birth, but she was back to back.

steppemum Tue 13-Nov-12 22:05:52

1st - 10lbs 1oz
2nd - 8lbs 7oz (but she was early)
3rd - 10lbs 7oz.

1st was hardest, he had the biggest head I have ever seen, baby hats didn't fit, 0-3 month hats didn't fit, seriously ouch grin

BerthaTheBogBurglar Tue 13-Nov-12 22:02:56

Good grief at 13 pound babies. My 3 added together would still only be 14lbs.

Dd was 6 months old before she weighed 13 pounds.

You lot can keep your crowns. I have newborn baby hats that fit tangerines ...

Chutney do you have any bump photos? I only got to 30 weeks with 2 three pounders and I felt GINORMOUS. I just can't imagine where another 9lbs of baby might've gone!

I delivered an 11lb (and half an ounce) baby at home 2 years ago. He was baby number 4. I used gas and air and a tens machine. It was hard work, but ok. No damage done! He could hold his head up right away and was soooo fat! He had really broad shoulders and huge hands and feet. He looked new, but was as big as my 3 month old nephew.

It absolutely was not easier to deliver him than the others who weighed 8.13, 9.7 and 7.15. Some people seem to think big babies crawl out by themselves! The first stage was the same for all, but the second stage was most definitely harder.

I'm pg with dc5 now, and I am a little worried about this one being as big.

Brockle Tue 13-Nov-12 21:53:20

Me too welove, feel rather pathetic now. 39 weeks today and started to worry when the NW asked how big my other two were. She said he is definitely nearer the 9lb 2oz than the 7lb 11oz. No shit sherlock.

Brockle Tue 13-Nov-12 21:53:20

Me too welove, feel rather pathetic now. 39 weeks today and started to worry when the NW asked how big my other two were. She said he is definitely nearer the 9lb 2oz than the 7lb 11oz. No shit sherlock.

Crikeyblimey Tue 13-Nov-12 21:42:57

Dh was 11lbs and my mil had home birth and says she never felt a thing!! Literally a painless labour!! Pushing him out "smarted" a bit she said!! Mad cow! I met the midwife at a family wedding (very small town, very old lady) and she told me that he was the biggest and easiest baby she'd ever delivered in her 40 years as a midwife smile

His older sister was far smaller and she said that hurt like he'll!

When I was pg, I prayed that ds would take after me and not dh. I weighed 4lbs 14.

Welovecouscous Tue 13-Nov-12 21:30:52

Mine was 9lbs 2 as well and I felt quite warrior queenish when I pushed him out naturally with just gas and air. THREE hours pushing hmm

Meglet Tue 13-Nov-12 21:25:13

XP was a thirteen pounder (her third baby), his mum showed me his birth record. He grew up the size of a brick shithouse.

'Sadly' I had to have an CS's with our DC's, DS was 2 weeks early and already 7lb 6.

RosannaBanana Tue 13-Nov-12 21:21:15

My DD is 13 pounds now. She is 3 months old, and quite a chunky baby, plus very long. The thought of giving birth to her now... Can barely imagine it. Well done big baby ladies smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now