Suggestions on what to do with the placenta if I don't go for encapsulation?

(35 Posts)

I'm planning to bring the placenta back home after the birth, and my doula said she can make a smoothie with it. I suppose the smoothie won't use all of it (otherwise we would have huge amounts of smoothie left, I guess).

I thought of having the rest of it dehydrated and encapsulated, but it is very expensive, and I don't see the point of having someone taking the placenta away once it's home, then bringing it back in capsules for about £150 (I'm already paying for the doula, which is not cheap, and I'm considering paying for a private room at the hospital - which also costs a small fortune -, so I want to avoid spending more money).

What can I do with the placenta? Loads of smoothies? (what is the recipe?) Cut it in pieces and freeze them separately, so I can use them bit by bit? What can I do with the pieces?

I'm sure some people will think this is a bizarre thing to post, but I'm serious. If you think a placenta smoothie is weird, google "lotus birth" to see what people can do with placentas.

FunnysInLaJardin Thu 08-Nov-12 14:02:02

I can't think of anything worse than a placenta smoothie tbh, not only is it a meat smoothie, it's meat from your own body.

Planting it in the garden with a tree on top sounds much more civilised.

Many thanks for the nice answers.

I live in a flat and don't plan to settle in a "forever house" any time soon, so the idea of using it a fertilizer doesn't make much sense. Well, we could always bury it in the park nearby which has a lot of meaning for us, but a part of me prefer to act like an animal and eat it (I know how weak and baby blued I was after DS1 was born, so if the placenta can help me beat the blues it will be very welcome!)

An artwork would be nice! Seeker, the idea of a placenta in Perspex imade me laugh out loud!

Quietninja, that's fine, your last answer wasn't rude.

Boysboys, it probably won't taste good, but is healthy. I guess people use berries for the smoothie, but I don't know the details (should have googled blush )

AarghComet hiring the kit is something I haven't thought about! Thanks for the idea!

Jackeyblue, a print of the placenta? It fits in the "artwork" cathegory, may be a nice idea. But how did she make it before making a smoothie? Did she use some ink (and then, how did she eat it afterwards?), or imprinted the blood? (so many questions)

morethanasong a tonic sounds like a good idea. I've never heard of that one.

Frying it sounds a bit funny to me. As if it will lose its properties once it's cooked? Or am I overthinking it?

morethanasong Thu 08-Nov-12 17:16:02

From a quick google it looks as if it was a placenta tincture, and that you only need a small amount of placenta so maybe you could do the smoothie, or something else, with the rest if you wanted to?

hellsbells76 Thu 08-Nov-12 17:16:09

Word of warning: if you do bury it, make sure you dig a deep enough hole. Last thing you need is a fox digging it up and spreading it all over the garden (has happened). A lot of animals eat the placenta: it's rich in nutrients and iron and goes some way to replenishing the blood you lose during/after birth.

Well, I googled it and found out the smoothie recipes are just normal smoothies (with berries, iogurt, honey, banana, etc) in which people throw an strawberry sized piece of raw placenta.

And there is one recipe for tincture here

As morethanasong said, only a small piece is needed.

I think I'll dice the thing, freeze it and make daily smoothies. I'm trying to convince my mum to do the dicing (hopefully the doula will do it), as DH has very emphatically refused to have anything to do with the placenta smile

hellsbells, good tip. I wonder about the smell of the garden afterwards...

Thanks everyone for the ideas.

Jakeyblueblue Thu 08-Nov-12 20:08:17

Here is a picture of one that's similar farm3.staticflickr.com/2405/2234347822_081713dce4_z.jpg?zz=1
In the program I watched, she did the original print with the blood and then used other ink to transfer it to another print at a later date. She then diced it up for the smoothie. I just googled placenta prints to get that image and loads came up. Some are really lovely. Have a look. smile

Jakeyblueblue Thu 08-Nov-12 20:12:24

www.mothertreebirth.com/resources/placenta-encapsulation/

Here's someone that does it. Might give you more of an idea. I like the idea of the umbilical cord heart smile

Good luck!

lola15 Thu 08-Nov-12 20:37:31

Hi,
I had my placenta encapsulated and can only recommend it - it was worth the money. I had terrible PND after the birth of my first child and was worried that it would happen again when I was pregnant with my second. My MW then told me to have a placenta smoothie after the birth to try and prevent PND but I couldn't imagine to do it. A doula made the capsules for me. It may have been pure luck, but I didn't suffer from PND after my second baby, I had lots of energy, no baby blues and my body recovered very quickly after the birth. You can find some more info here on what you can do with your placenta: www.placentanetwork.com
HTH

Nikki2510 Tue 13-Nov-12 17:22:38

Hi,

I was chatting to midwife about this last week - although I was looking at encapsulation rather than smoothies. She said the benefits are that it can help with milk production if breastfeeding, can help with PND and also you can keep some of the capsules as its supposed to help with the menopause too.

Good to know that you can get encapsulation kits though as I'm really keen to do this but was a bit http://cdnmn.com/emo/te/5.gif at the price.

Nikki2510 Tue 13-Nov-12 17:24:29

Apols there should have been a 'shocked face smiley' in the above post but clearly I haven't worked out how to insert these...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now