terrified, pain relief whilst pushing.

(43 Posts)
honeytea Wed 07-Nov-12 19:54:19

I was wondering what pain relief you have had whilst pushing, I went to an information evening at the maternity ward we have chosen and they said that whilst pushing they will let the epidural (if you have one) run out so you can feel the urges to push, also they won't let you use gas and air.

I'm in Sweden and water births are banned here.

In an ideal world id like to try for a water birth but that just is not an option, my plan was to try to labour for as long as possible with few drugs or just gas and air but realistically I probably would opt for an epidural, the fact that that is an option made me feel better and more confident. I just feel so worried about pushing with no pain relief, I feel like I can't do it, before this meeting I was feeling confident that I could give birth but now I feel scared and worried sad

Im not sure what is normal in UK hospitals?

CailinDana Fri 09-Nov-12 08:50:09

Pushing is a very positive stage - you have something to focus on and the progress is very exciting. I tore a bit but didn't feel it at all. There's too much going on and you're far too determined to see the baby to pay much attention really!

BoysBoysBoysAndMe Fri 09-Nov-12 13:14:56

I have just pushed a baby out not 5 hours ago!!

It's really not too bad. Contractions r far worse.

Takes a few pushes to get the knack of it, and the ring of fire is certainly painful, but if I can manage-anyone can.

Good luck x

CailinDana Fri 09-Nov-12 14:03:56

Wow congratulations boys! Oooh I'm getting teary - DC2 is due in February (feels like years away) and I'm already impatient for her to be here. How are you doing? Boy or girl? Weight?

Ushy Fri 09-Nov-12 18:48:35

Hmm...I did feel it and it was awful. I subsequently made sure I had an epidural that was maintained throughout labour as is supposed to be the UK practice.

Are you able to discuss this with an anaesthetist? There is lots of research on this and tailing off epidurals is bad practice.

Welovecouscous Fri 09-Nov-12 18:53:28

I had a labour in water with gas and air but had to get out to give birth. At that stage they suggested I leave the gas and air, so I pushed with no pain relief which was absolutely fine - I really didn't even notice as I was so busy pushing out a big boy smile

I then had a second degree tear and honestly I didn't feel it at all

Please don't be worried - I honestly found it fine.

honeytea Fri 09-Nov-12 18:59:27

Congratulations boys! What weight was your baby? I hope your both doing well smile I'm also shedding some happy excited tears smile

All your stories are fantastic, I hadn't looked at the pushing stage as "having something to do" before.

I'm feeling much more confident, thank you all!

stargirl1701 Fri 09-Nov-12 18:59:38

The pushing isn't painful. I was in a 'zone'. Totally focused and not really aware of anything other than urge to push.

I had a very positive birth experience and gave birth in the pool after Tens at home. I would really recommend a Tens machine for the first stage. I put it on as soon as I realised I was in labour and got to 8cm with it on.

Illustrated Fri 09-Nov-12 19:14:43

I had one of those epidurals where I was in control with a button to press every 15 minutes if I wanted to keep it going.

I fell asleep for an hour and got woken up and told to start pushing, by then all pain relief had worn off. It really wasn't too bad and went really quickly even though that stage took 2 hours it felt like 10 minutes and the feeling you get to push is so strong its a huge relief. I tore but didn't feel it and couldnt feel them stitching afterwards either.

You will be fine, good luck!

honeytea Fri 09-Nov-12 22:39:53

I had one of those epidurals where I was in control with a button to press every 15 minutes if I wanted to keep it going.

I want one of these.. Do you think they will let me have one now till the birth (I'm 36 weeks) ;)

It sounds like the tens machines are really popular, I will ask about hiring one at my appointment on monday, thank you for the tip!

piratecat Fri 09-Nov-12 22:45:04

i think it depends how long you are pushing for, i pushed for two bloody hours, and was on the speedy up drip, so my pushing stage was laborious and very painful.

Welovecouscous Sat 10-Nov-12 07:48:54

Pirate really sorry you were in so much pain sad

Every labour is so different. I was on the drip too and pushed for exactly 3 hours (9lb baby!) yet can honestly say the pushing gave me something to focus on and letting go of the gas and air was fine. I am planning to do it exactly the same way next time.

ItsMyLastOne Sat 10-Nov-12 09:48:04

For me, the pushing part was so much easier. It felt as though I was doing something with the pains so it didn't hurt anywhere near as much as the previous contractions. I had been using G&A for a couple of hours before pushing, but when the pushing bit started it was annoying me so I asked DP to take it away. I was pushing for almost 5 hours but never wanted it during that time. However, I definitely wanted it when it came to being sewn up!

EMS23 Sat 10-Nov-12 09:54:39

I'm surprised at how long some of you pushed for! With DD1 I pushed for 2 hours at which point forceps were used. I was told 2hrs was the max I'd be allowed to push for before they helped things along.
TBH I was relieved as I was exhausted!

DD2 was out in 3 pushes.

weegiemum Sat 10-Nov-12 10:01:12

Pushing was a relief to me too.

I also love baths and wanted to labour in water but when I got in the pool I absolutely hated it, the sensation against my skin was horrible, and I had to get out again straight away! No idea why. Didn't even try in my 2nd and 3rd labours!

ItsMyLastOne Sat 10-Nov-12 10:36:38

EMS I was told afterwards it's because my waters hadn't broken and the 2 hour rule is from when they break. I pushed my waters out still in the sack after about 3.5-4 hours. Then after 4.5 hours of pushing they decided to do a ventouse, but I managed to push her out within minutes of getting into that room. I think it was the sound of all this horrible medical equipment being counted out that gave me a stronger urge to push harder!

I actually wasn't pushing the whole time, my contractions stopped completely for 15-20 minutes in the middle and apparently I fell asleep for that time whilst leaning over the back of the upright bed I was on. Then they just kicked in again and I woke up pushing. DP said it was really weird!

Midgetm Sat 10-Nov-12 17:58:48

Pushing is a breeze in comparison to contractions (although both mine back to back). I was a bit hmm when they took the gas away but actually not so bad. Also didn't feel when I tore, just so glad to have the baby out. Did feel it when stitched me up though and got the G&aback sharpish...

Ellie092 Mon 12-Nov-12 19:56:41

I got induced and it was awful I had the epidural and it worn off right at the end and I knew when to push! The contractions was the worst part..

I loved the pushing part didn't hurt one bit good luck xx

PurpleGentian Tue 13-Nov-12 19:20:57

I had a bit of gas and air in labour, but the midwives took that away when it was time to start pushing.

But really, the pushing bit was much less painful anyway, so I didn't miss the gas & air at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now